New CPU only working with 1 stick of RAM

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Ryzen 7 5800x to pair with my RX 6750XT. After installation of the cpu, I ran into bsod issues and eventually it just turned into the pc crashing and rebooting on its own. It seems to do this under some sort of heavy load, such as gaming and so on.

Previously I had a 5600x, and never once encountered any errors whatsoever.

Checking the bsod cause came down to a ntoskrnl wrong symbols error. After doing some further research, I figured this was a memory issue and pulled out my RAM stick in slot B2. After doing so, the PC hasn’t crashed at all.

I then put the stick back in and ran some tests using the windows memory diagnostics tool and found no errors, I also decided to use MemTest86 and after 4 and a half hours also found no errors. I checked the temps before crashes using HWiNFO64 and they were fine, the cpu hit a max of 72 Celsius but when the crash occurred it was 64 Celsius.

I can’t seem to figure out a fix, I’ve tried multiple solutions and none have worked except using one memory stick, however I don’t want to sacrifice a memory stick just to have this working. I’d appreciate any sort of help.

Other solutions I’ve tried are listed below, thanks

—Specs—

MSI B550M Gaming Plus

Ryzen 7 5800x

Asus Dual RX 6750XT

x2 TridentZ RGB 16gb 3600Mhz

Using the MasterLiquid ML240 for the CPU

Running windows 11 on Samsung evo plus

—Solutions Tried—

Cleared CMOS
Updated BIOS Drivers
Fresh install of GPU drivers
Updated Chipset drivers
Updated windows
Turned off all OC settings for CPU and RAM
Restored default settings in bios
Reset windows
Used sfc scan and dsim commands
Checked for any installation errors on the cpu
Used MemTest86
Used windows memory diagnostics

Checked temps before crash

Reseated the cpu, ensuring there is enough thermal paste and non on the pins

1 minute ago, Brendyn.1 said:

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a Ryzen 7 5800x to pair with my RX 6750XT. After installation of the cpu, I ran into bsod issues and eventually it just turned into the pc crashing and rebooting on its own. It seems to do this under some sort of heavy load, such as gaming and so on.

Checking the bsod cause came down to a ntoskrnl wrong symbols error. After doing some further research, I figured this was a memory issue and pulled out my RAM stick in slot B2. After doing so, the PC hasn’t crashed at all.

I then put the stick back in and ran some tests using the windows memory diagnostics tool and found no errors, I also decided to use MemTest86 and after 4 and a half hours also found no errors. I checked the temps before crashes using HWiNFO64 and they were fine, the cpu hit a max of 72 Celsius but when the crash occurred it was 64 Celsius.

I can’t seem to figure out a fix, I’ve tried multiple solutions and none have worked except using one memory stick, however I don’t want to sacrifice a memory stick just to have this working. I’d appreciate any sort of help.

Other solutions I’ve tried are listed below, thanks

—Solutions Tried—

Cleared CMOS
Updated BIOS Drivers
Fresh install of GPU drivers
Updated Chipset drivers
Updated windows
Turned off all OC settings for CPU and RAM
Restored default settings in bios
Reset windows
Used sfc scan and dsim commands
Checked for any installation errors on the cpu
Used MemTest86
Used windows memory diagnostics

Checked temps before crash

Reseated the cpu, ensuring there is enough thermal paste and non on the pins

What motherboard?   If there are 4 slots, use the other 2?  Not as ideal ,but won't lose much if any real performance.

Reset Windows or a full fresh install?

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

What motherboard?   If there are 4 slots, use the other 2?  Not as ideal ,but won't lose much if any real performance.

I am using a MSI B550M Gaming Plus. I haven’t yet tried using the other slots, but I will give that a go and see how it goes. I have reset windows, but not done a fresh install yet. I really don’t feel as if I should have to do all these things and lose tons of data.

10 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

After trying the other 2 slots on the motherboard, the pc still seems to crash with 2 sticks of ram. 

Just now, Brendyn.1 said:

After trying the other 2 slots on the motherboard, the pc still seems to crash with 2 sticks of ram. 

If that didn't work, I think the issue may be that the memory controller on the CPU itself is faulty. I'd try returning it to get a replacement.

23 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

If that didn't work, I think the issue may be that the memory controller on the CPU itself is faulty. I'd try returning it to get a replacement.

I’ll request a replacement. Thank you guys for the help!