Canva Aquires Affinity Design Studio

Summary

Affinity Design suite, One of the best and last alternatives to Adobe's subscription nightmare, users are understandably in a panic fearing that Canva's subscription business model will make its way to software whose best feature was that it was a one-time purchase. 

A lot of people have come out on Reddit and Twitter to exclaim their disappointment with the acquisition, Also sighting the Canva subscription business model. 

My thoughts

I went to the Affinity design suite because I don't use design software often enough to warrant paying Adobe's exorbitant subscription fees, Affinity is a great software package which I have recommended to a lot of my friends and family, V2 was a shock as you had to purchase the software again, but understandable because there was major changes and redesigns in the new V2 package. That said my V1 software license still works great and its a more lightweight version of the software that does what I need on my laptop. 

Nothing has actually changed as yet and Affinity is assuring customers that V2 will always remain a one-time purchase, What does this mean for the future? Who knows, V3 will likely be a subscription model. If and when this happens, I will be leaving Affinity & sticking to the version I have until it stops working.  

Sources

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/press/newsroom/canva-press-release/

https://www.canva.com/newsroom/news/affinity/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Affinity/

When I heard about that I was like "Yep, Affinity is doomed". It's doubtful that the people at the top of Canva care about anything besides money. Thankfully I got all V2 products at their discounted launch price + V1 upgrade discount. If V3 becomes a subscription, unless it's 60-70% less than Adobe's price, it's bye-bye to Affinity from me.

If it becomes a subscription people have less reason to stay with or even get into this suite.

Feels like shooting oneself in the foot

> Moved to Programs, Apps, and Websites. Post is missing the required news articles & quotes from news articles. If you find some news articles covering the topic and update the post to include it let me know and it can be moved back. Tech News Posting Guidelines

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450