Good 2tb singlesided NVME M.2 2280 NVME SSD as 2nd drive for gaming laptop?

My legion 5 17imh05h has an extra unused m.2 slot. 
A few other models of legion 5 have been documented to work well with 2nd m.2.

I tested size with my existing m.2 and I think it fits well?

There is no shielding though, is this fine?
(note I might not have fully screwed in)

image.thumb.jpeg.6cb1a34503ce8c16538da23404ab0ab3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5388d6205c2c8aa378ced4591ac43f05.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.80a1371956c3b36c98f6c9520d9787d0.jpeg

I would like to put a 2tb singlesided NVME 2280 M.2 SSD in it.
I want one that isnt too thick because I might get a framework 16 next.

What brands are good for gaming? Good speed and reliability, I do not want lost save data.
Ideally one purchasable on amazon.ca as I am Canadian and need it soon(have prime).
I don't want to be without this computer for long but really want to avoid opening and closing it a bunch of times as I don't want to strip screws and risk breaking the clips.
Thank you!

image.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Kazooo said:

My legion 5 17imh05h has an extra unused m.2 slot. 
A few other models of legion 5 have been documented to work well with 2nd m.2.

I tested size with my existing m.2 and I think it fits well?

There is no shielding though, is this fine?
(note I might not have fully screwed in)

image.thumb.jpeg.6cb1a34503ce8c16538da23404ab0ab3.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.5388d6205c2c8aa378ced4591ac43f05.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.80a1371956c3b36c98f6c9520d9787d0.jpeg

I would like to put a 2tb singlesided NVME 2280 M.2 SSD in it.
I want one that isnt too thick because I might get a framework 16 next.

What brands are good for gaming? Good speed and reliability, I do not want lost save data.
Ideally one purchasable on amazon.ca as I am Canadian and need it soon(have prime).
I don't want to be without this computer for long but really want to avoid opening and closing it a bunch of times as I don't want to strip screws and risk breaking the clips.
Thank you!

image.jpeg

Which NVMe is it ?

Any Gen3 and some Gen4 (the slower ones) don't need heatsinks

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

12 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Which NVMe is it ?

Not quite any, I got an Intel Datacentre Gen 3 drive cheap and it completely shuts down under load without a heatsink, and I'm only running it on x1 lane for IOPS rather than raw speed.  I guess they're designed for 1U chassis with forced airflow, though just putting a RPi heatsink on the controller completely fixed it (AFAIK NAND doesn't care about running hot, it actually helps write retention).

Its true that most consumer drives work okay, but they might slow down.  I have a Crucial P1 and P3 which get mighty toasty even with the motherboard provided heat spreaders, though they don't really count as a heatsink IMO as they do a poor job due to being completely flat.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, PDifolco said:

Which NVMe is it ?

Currently empty, looking for suggestions! The one in pic belongs elsewhere was just to test.

Others with a similar but smaller chassis(15 inch instead of 17) have done second nvme SSD, without heat shielding.

Link

16 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Not quite any, I got an Intel Datacentre Gen 3 drive cheap and it completely shuts down under load without a heatsink, and I'm only running it on x1 lane for IOPS rather than raw speed.  I guess they're designed for 1U chassis with forced airflow, though just putting a RPi heatsink on the controller completely fixed it (AFAIK NAND doesn't care about running hot, it actually helps write retention).

Its true that most consumer drives work okay, but they might slow down.  I have a Crucial P1 and P3 which get mighty toasty even with the motherboard provided heat spreaders, though they don't really count as a heatsink IMO as they do a poor job due to being completely flat.

@Alex Atkin UK How do you tell which drives are more/less cool?

Others with a similar but smaller chassis(15 inch instead of 17) have done second nvme SSD, without heat shielding.

17 hours ago, PDifolco said:

Which NVMe is it ?

@PDifolco There is currently no drive there as I only have one drive and it belongs elsewhere, I am looking for a second drive to put there.

@Alex Atkin UK @PDifolco

What drive would you guys recommend? The drive ideally would be:

-single sided

-nvme

-2 tb

-fast but not too hot

-stable(low failure rate)

-available on amazon.ca (I want to reassemble asap as its my main machine.)

I think my slot is gen 4 based on other m.2 slot. The manual gives no indication of this slot even existing so it's not very helpful.

Manual:  Hardware Maintenance Manual (lenovo.com)

Product Specs (misleading): Lenovo Legion 5 17IMH05H
Guides: laptops and netbooks :: legion series :: legion 5 17imh05h :: 81y8 Lenovo PC Support - Lenovo Support US

Drive suggestions greatly appreciated!