2 Kingston Ram and 2 Other Brand?

Go to solution Solved by zinco,
1 minute ago, foxbill86 said:

shits a cheap cheap upgrade here in the PH, New gen stuffs are expensive here (huge fucking corrupt taxes) but prev gen stuffs are cheap so yeah

Alright, your choice.

recap: adding more RAM, even if they are same brand, if not purchased as a kit together, has a higher chance of not working properly. Even if it "works", you'll have some issues with something like XMP later on. If you wanna take the risk or not, its up to you.

Note that you cant compare your system to another person's.

While another person w/ the exact same system as you may succeed in mixing RAM sticks from different brands and such, you are unlikely to get the same result.

I asked a IT friend if I can upgrade my Ram since I will upgrade my board from a 2 slot to a 4 slot MoBo, but he said that I will have issue and it will not work and I saw youtube videos that it will work fine. I have a 16GB Kingston 2666mhz X2 and I wanna populate a with another sticks, but I can't find any NEW 16GB Kingston 2666mhz, So I wanna just buy a other brand but still 16GB, 2666mhz x2. 

Will it work or will it not?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D | Gigabyte B550M DS3H Rev 1.7 | Kingston Fury X 32GB DDR4 (2X16) 2666MHz | Gigabyte RX 6800 GAMING OC 16G |

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE | 3X Rakk Maris Pro 120mm RGB Fans | Rakk Dulus Case | Gigabyte GP-P650G 650W 80+ GOLD Certified Active PFC 

Lexar NM710 M.2 1TB NVMe SSD Gen 4 | Crucial MX500 500GB 3D NAND SATA

KOORUI 24E3. 24" 1080p Gaming Monitor, 165Hz Refresh Rate, IPS Panel

Might work, might not.

It gives a random result each time, for every user.

Linus did a video about it a while back, mixing RAM brands, the outcome is unpredictable. 

I wouldn't recommend such an upgrade, but if you have an opportunity to test the kits with the system, you could lower the chances. (even then, it might not even work on the next reboot!)

"IF DREW DIDN'T FILM IT, THEN IT AIN'T FILMED RIGHT" 🥶

It depends, it might work fine, it might not. if you're upgrading to a new platform, I'd sell your existing sticks and get 32GBx2 of a faster speed.

2 minutes ago, foxbill86 said:

I asked a IT friend if I can upgrade my Ram since I will upgrade my board from a 2 slot to a 4 slot MoBo, but he said that I will have issue and it will not work and I saw youtube videos that it will work fine. I have a 16GB Kingston 2666mhz X2 and I wanna populate a with another sticks, but I can't find any NEW 16GB Kingston 2666mhz, So I wanna just buy a other brand but still 16GB, 2666mhz x2. 

Will it work or will it not?

why do you want to change the board to add ram slots vs just replacing the ram you currently have with a higher amount

1 minute ago, emosun said:

why do you want to change the board to add ram slots vs just replacing the ram you currently have with a higher amount

I am upgrading from a A520, Ryzen 5 5500 to a Ryzen 7 5700x3d and a B550. The VRM will be toast if I stick to a A520

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D | Gigabyte B550M DS3H Rev 1.7 | Kingston Fury X 32GB DDR4 (2X16) 2666MHz | Gigabyte RX 6800 GAMING OC 16G |

Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE | 3X Rakk Maris Pro 120mm RGB Fans | Rakk Dulus Case | Gigabyte GP-P650G 650W 80+ GOLD Certified Active PFC 

2 minutes ago, foxbill86 said:

The VRM will be toast if I stick to a A520

Whys that. If the board is designed to use the cpu then it can use the cpu.

3 minutes ago, emosun said:

Whys that. If the board is designed to use the cpu then it can use the cpu.

yeah, made A LOT of threads from multiple FORUMS SITES and all of them said no and don't cheap out. And other than VRM Upgrade, M.2, PCIe 4.0 and SAM.

It wasn't your question, but this seems like a weird upgrade. If you're dumping the motherboard and want to buy new memory anyway, it makes more sense to go AM5.

1 minute ago, Tetras said:

It wasn't your question, but this seems like a weird upgrade. If you're dumping the motherboard and want to buy new memory anyway, it makes more sense to go AM5.

shits a cheap cheap upgrade here in the PH, New gen stuffs are expensive here (huge fucking corrupt taxes) but prev gen stuffs are cheap so yeah

1 minute ago, foxbill86 said:

Alright, your choice.

recap: adding more RAM, even if they are same brand, if not purchased as a kit together, has a higher chance of not working properly. Even if it "works", you'll have some issues with something like XMP later on. If you wanna take the risk or not, its up to you.

While another person w/ the exact same system as you may succeed in mixing RAM sticks from different brands and such, you are unlikely to get the same result.

"IF DREW DIDN'T FILM IT, THEN IT AIN'T FILMED RIGHT" 🥶

1 minute ago, zinco said:

Alright, your choice.

okay okay, thanks bro!