Building home sever from previous build parts

Budget (including currency): $400 USD, to buy remaining parts

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

1. Main Usage - Backup server for 2 people's PC, Plex streaming Sever (4K), File sharing with just 1 person across the country
  2. Future Usage(possibly) - Home surveillance footage storage & hosting game server for my online friends only

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): So here's where it gets a little interesting as I currently already have parts saved over from upgrading my PC and the wife PC. I previously had a build with two (please don't judge me lol) RTX 3090 but I upgraded to the RTX 4090 and was going to sell both 3090 but only sold 1 and decided to hold on to the other. I upgraded my CPU to Intel 13900K and swapped out my wife's old CPU with my previous one so she went from an AMD 3600 to 5800. Along with that, I upgraded my PSU. So below is the list of parts I already have going towards this home server build:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3600

PSU: Thermaltake 750 80+ Bronze 

GPU: XC3 RTX 3090

In short, I would like a recommendation with the remaining parts for the server. The server will most likely be sitting down in the basement in a storage/utility closet, once the basement is finished, connected to a switch. Also, if someone has a good network switch recommendation for home use with at least 8 ports, as I plan on running ethernet cables through my walls down to the basement from specific rooms, that would be most welcome as well, thanks in advance.

Why the 3090?

Like this is gonna be a MASSIVE energy consumer just at idle 😛

Id just sell the 3090 and build a whole nas with that budget.

Are you transcoding on the server or will the devices do it?

I would really just start fresh and do a igpu based server as this will be wasted hardware, draw a lotta power and output a fair bit of heat.

Is there ventilation in the closet? It needs some cooling.

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why the 3090?

Like this is gonna be a MASSIVE energy consumer just at idle 😛

Id just sell the 3090 and build a whole nas with that budget.

Are you transcoding on the server or will the devices do it?

I would really just start fresh and do a igpu based server as this will be wasted hardware, draw a lotta power and output a fair bit of heat.

Is there ventilation in the closet? It needs some cooling.

I figured it would be easier for me to just use what I already had as I mentioned these were parts I already had from a previous build and decided to hold on to and didn't want to go through the trouble of selling at the time as I was moving and switching jobs. The basement will be pretty cool as I am in North....like very north New York state. Side note we are planning to go solar as for the energy concerns, if that matters. But this is something for me to think about when it comes to possibly selling and starting fresh, thanks for the input.

26 minutes ago, brightgamer said:

I figured it would be easier for me to just use what I already had as I mentioned these were parts I already had from a previous build and decided to hold on to and didn't want to go through the trouble of selling at the time as I was moving and switching jobs. The basement will be pretty cool as I am in North....like very north New York state. Side note we are planning to go solar as for the energy concerns, if that matters. But this is something for me to think about when it comes to possibly selling and starting fresh, thanks for the input.

I highly recommend you do.

Keep in mind 100w of idle heat is enough to heat up a closet quite easily.

Id really recommend selling all as:

A 3600 is great performance for watt but lacks an igpu.

A thermaltake smart is a low end psu and not something id trust to run 24/7 at all as it is known to fail.

A 3090 is not efficient at idle and honestly such a waste to be what will be a display adapter. Know anyone that would like the upgrade? Could ve a nice quick friend price sell 😛

Depending on your server you can have a intel n 100 box with like 16tb of storage for like 350$ and it would consume 25w tops or so when being blasted with usage.

48 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I highly recommend you do.

Keep in mind 100w of idle heat is enough to heat up a closet quite easily.

Id really recommend selling all as:

A 3600 is great performance for watt but lacks an igpu.

A thermaltake smart is a low end psu and not something id trust to run 24/7 at all as it is known to fail.

A 3090 is not efficient at idle and honestly such a waste to be what will be a display adapter. Know anyone that would like the upgrade? Could ve a nice quick friend price sell 😛

Depending on your server you can have a intel n 100 box with like 16tb of storage for like 350$ and it would consume 25w tops or so when being blasted with usage.

Would an Integrated GPU be able to stream 4K content through plex well? If internet speed is a concern I do have 1 gig internet

2 hours ago, brightgamer said:

Would an Integrated GPU be able to stream 4K content through plex well? If internet speed is a concern I do have 1 gig internet

That was my one of my questions.

Do you want the box to transcode for you or do you want it to be a file hoster and the devices in question do the work?

Keep in mind only the PAID version of plex allows gpu transcode. On the free it is only CPU transcode.

If you do not want it to transcode it will just be a media library. Basically as if the file is on the device itself and it's just playing it back.

As for can a igpu do it? Totally. People have done 4+ 4k transcodes on a intel hd630 igpu. Aka a EXTREMELY low end gpu by todays standard. For comparison a 3090 is 5000% faster. A gt 1030 is even twice as fast. It's a super low end gpu BUT it is plenty enough to do the job.

Jellyfin is a alternative to plex and is fully free. It allows gpu transcode as is. It has gotten a lot of work done to it in the last little while due to people moving away from plex as it has gotten worse and worse.

For local streaming network speed will not be an issue.

For streaming over the internet upload speed may be an issue but with a 1 gig connection that is literally a non issue.