iCloud replacement

Go to solution Solved by pcgamr348960956,
5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

That old Photos feed feature was removed long ago, now it's iCloud or bust.

Apple's whole point is to get you to buy storage, and more generally preventing you from getting the polished experience you expect without paying for their devices and services.

ok I don't think any of the 3rd party apps are going to do it for me, I think I'm just going to stick to paying for iCloud storage for now, thanks for your help.

hello, I want to sync my pictures and files from my iPhone onto my Macbook automatically, right now I have iCloud storage and whenever I take picures on iPhone its already automatically on my Mac, I have a home server but how would I configure it to work for my needs like iCloud does so I don't need to pay apple every month for iCloud?

thanks!

You can set up something like ownCloud or nextCloud, but it's likely not going to be as seamless as Apple's iCloud integration.

Keep in mind that the money you save on an iCloud subscription will be replaced with the power cost of running your own server, buying storage for it and the time spent on maintaining it.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

52 minutes ago, Eigenvektor said:

You can set up something like ownCloud or nextCloud, but it's likely not going to be as seamless as Apple's iCloud integration.

Keep in mind that the money you save on an iCloud subscription will be replaced with the power cost of running your own server, buying storage for it and the time spent on maintaining it.

A already have the server and have storage in it and also don’t care about the time it takes to maintain it but is it even possible to use it? I’m also not interested in any 3rd party cloud storage apps, I want it to sync to the Apple photos app as seamlessly as possible.

9 minutes ago, pcgamr348960956 said:

A already have the server and have storage in it and also don’t care about the time it takes to maintain it but is it even possible to use it? I’m also not interested in any 3rd party cloud storage apps, I want it to sync to the Apple photos app as seamlessly as possible.

I also had another thought, I have another Mac that I don’t use that has empty storage on it, if I could store it locally on that Mac, could it be synced to my devices in the photos app? It would be kind of like a Mac server? I just don’t know how to set it up

17 minutes ago, pcgamr348960956 said:

I also had another thought, I have another Mac that I don’t use that has empty storage on it, if I could store it locally on that Mac, could it be synced to my devices in the photos app? It would be kind of like a Mac server? I just don’t know how to set it up

I don't have a Mac but I use nextcloud and their app does sync locally without problems and the pictures with my android phone as well. 

5 minutes ago, m9x3mos said:

I don't have a Mac but I use nextcloud and their app does sync locally without problems and the pictures with my android phone as well. 

But will my photos app on my iPhone and Mac be synced?

Yep, Nextcloud or Syncthing.

Will typically have to manually open the app once in a while because Apple don't let anyone do reliable background uploads.

2 minutes ago, pcgamr348960956 said:

But will my photos app on my iPhone and Mac be synced?

No. You'll have the photos synced to a folder but nothing can automagically have it sync in the app like iCloud does. Also metadata (edits, live photos...) won't carry.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Yep, Nextcloud or Syncthing.

Will typically have to manually open the app once in a while because Apple don't let anyone do reliable background uploads.

No. You'll have the photos synced to a folder but nothing can automagically have it sync in the app like iCloud does. Also metadata (edits, live photos...) won't carry.

So does my iPhone sync by itself?

1 hour ago, pcgamr348960956 said:

So does my iPhone sync by itself?

Nothing will work like iCloud does. No app you can instal on your iPhone will function like iCloud backup and iCloud sync do. 

I believe you can use iCloud sync and not use iCloud Drive, tho. If that is still the case, you’d be able to have the pictures transfer from iPhone to Mac computer seamlessly, but won’t be backed up to the cloud automatically. If this is even still possible. But id look at that as potentially possible. No third party solution will do what you want that I am aware of. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

25 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Nothing will work like iCloud does. No app you can instal on your iPhone will function like iCloud backup and iCloud sync do. 

I believe you can use iCloud sync and not use iCloud Drive, tho. If that is still the case, you’d be able to have the pictures transfer from iPhone to Mac computer seamlessly, but won’t be backed up to the cloud automatically. If this is even still possible. But id look at that as potentially possible. No third party solution will do what you want that I am aware of. 

if it was on iCloud sync, and the pictures from my iPhone synced to my Mac, where would it be stored when I see them on my Mac?

17 minutes ago, pcgamr348960956 said:

if it was on iCloud sync, and the pictures from my iPhone synced to my Mac, where would it be stored when I see them on my Mac?

Photos app. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

Just now, LIGISTX said:

Photos app. 

but when I access it on my Mac, where is it opening it from, my iPhone storage?

Apple's whole point is to get you to buy storage, and more generally preventing you from getting the polished experience you expect without paying for their devices and services.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

5 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

ok I don't think any of the 3rd party apps are going to do it for me, I think I'm just going to stick to paying for iCloud storage for now, thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Thats too bad 😕