XFX MERC 319 6900 XT Limited Black junction temp too high ?

Hello all,

I am currently wondering if the hot spot on my GPU is too high under gaming, there is about a 20°C Delta between the 2 temps and if i'm not mistaken the card starts to thermal throttle at around 95°C.

Are these temps within spec?

Thanks in advance guys!

My current Afterburner settings are the following:

image.png.eca6cda815a1bf049fb224d999f150db.png

HW64 temp readings:

image.jpeg.d591afc3d29bfb41443355d5798d24ce.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

Hello all,

I am currently wondering if the hot spot on my GPU is too high under gaming, there is about a 20°C Delta between the 2 temps and if i'm not mistaken the card starts to thermal throttle at around 95°C.

Are these temps within spec?

Thanks in advance guys!

My current Afterburner settings are the following:

HW64 temp readings:

The card isn't throttling right? Then you might want to leave it. Unless you're like me and want the absolute lowest temps. I would suggest leaving the thermal pads alone. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

The card isn't throttling right? Then you might want to leave it. Unless you're like me and want the absolute lowest temps. I would suggest leaving the thermal pads alone. 

How can i tell if it is throttling or not? Does it show up in HWinfo live or is there some sort of back log ?

TJmax is 110°C so you're still within the margin. 

That said its on the higher side but at the same time it's not that bad. 

My 6800 XT deviated by almost 40°C from the GPU Temp to TJmax before I fixed it with washer mod and PTM 7950.

9 minutes ago, WereCat said:

TJmax is 110°C so you're still within the margin. 

That said its on the higher side but at the same time it's not that bad. 

My 6800 XT deviated by almost 40°C from the GPU Temp to TJmax before I fixed it with washer mod and PTM 7950.

That seems like a huge deviation, woudl the washer mod be recommended for my GPU ? I was almost thinking about going with an Alphacool waterblock and custom loop, but that is opening up a whole new realm that i'm not familiar with...

6 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

That seems like a huge deviation, woudl the washer mod be recommended for my GPU ? I was almost thinking about going with an Alphacool waterblock and custom loop, but that is opening up a whole new realm that i'm not familiar with...

Got the same "issue" on my 7900XTX, 70C GPU temp but hotspot 95C, but it doesn't throttle tho

Seems to be intended behavior, a PTM/washer repaste solves it but it's not really needed

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

20 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

What about just making an ever so slightly more aggressive fan curve? A lot of cards top out at like 50% fan speed or something super low, You topped out at around 2K RPM, most cards have fans that run at 3K, try a user defined fan curve to bump this up a little?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

14 minutes ago, Mouse-Potato said:

If you're willing to do it despite the risks, sure. 

It's not difficult to do it at all, you just have to be careful to not overtighten the screws and to tighten them evenly. 

I can even cool 400W on air before reaching 100°C.

I have the Sapphire Pulse model. 

spacer.png

With MX4 and no washer mod I was hitting over 100°C at 273W. 

20 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

What about just making an ever so slightly more aggressive fan curve? A lot of cards top out at like 50% fan speed or something super low, You topped out at around 2K RPM, most cards have fans that run at 3K, try a user defined fan curve to bump this up a little?

I've done this but it ends up being pretty loud. I had to mount my GPU vertically otherwise the card would physically block airflow (card is massive) from the bottom case fans blowing upwards so i'm wondering if the case fans are impeding on the exhaust from the GPU...

20 hours ago, WereCat said:

If you're willing to do it despite the risks, sure. 

It's not difficult to do it at all, you just have to be careful to not overtighten the screws and to tighten them evenly. 

I can even cool 400W on air before reaching 100°C.

I have the Sapphire Pulse model. 

spacer.png

With MX4 and no washer mod I was hitting over 100°C at 273W. 

So you ended up doing the washer mod and changing the thermal paste or did you switch it to watercooling?

1 hour ago, Mouse-Potato said:

So you ended up doing the washer mod and changing the thermal paste or did you switch it to watercooling?

Just washer mod and change of thermal compound.