Monitors for Graphic Design and Artists

Smabi

Hello everyone! Hope you are all having a good day!

My wife is an aspiring artist who makes mostly digital using an Ipad, whens she is crossing referencing her designs and drawings from her tablet to a monitor the colours are dull compared to the Ipad. 

I want to get her a monitor that will give her some better colour accuracy when cross referencing from her tablet.

Any advice on what i should look for when picking a monitor and do you have any suggestions on monitors I could get. 

Not looking to go crazy with the budget so I would say anywhere between   150- 300

Many thanks 

Smabi 🙂 

The problem is that we don't know what color space the iPad is showing off. Without knowing that, we can't recommend a matching monitor. But if you just want an accurate monitor, you have two options:

Option 1:

The (imo) worse option is to go with a pre-calibrated monitor. The issue here is that they're often still not calibrated to a professional standard, while you still have to pay for the calibration process. Plus, monitor colors can "drift" slightly over time, meaning it won't be accurate forever.

Examples of such a monitor would be any of LG's UN-series or Asus' ProArt models.

Option 2:

The (imo) better option is to buy a colorimeter and calibrate your monitor yourself. By using a colorimeter, you can get pretty much every IPS monitor out there to perfect professional levels of color accuracy in the sRGB/rec.709 color space, or even the wider D65-P3 / Adobe RGB color spaces if the monitor has such a wide color gamut.

An example of such a device would be the Calibrite Display SL.
And DisplayCAL is great free software to accompany the device.

And here is a small guide if that's the route you're going:

That being said, it won't get you any closer to matching the iPad if the iPad isn't accurate to begin with.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.