First budget gome server

Budget (including currency): Not specyfied budget 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details none

Hello everyone. I'm a huge fan of the channel, forum, and community. That's my first post here. 

I'm planning to build my first home server on a budget. At the moment I'm running an old laptop ( previously RP3b+ ) with home assistant. At the house, I have old DVR recorder with 4 analog cameras. 

I plan to integrate as much as possible into that server. I've read about VM and Docker but until ill try to set this up by myself, I'm not sure how it works. Im not sure whatb system will be best and simple to use?

Plan is to use this server for:

Home Assistant

VPN

NAS

CCTV ( not sure if is better/easier/cheaper to use a dedicated IP recorder or integrate that on the server??)

Maybe PLEX

My plan is to go with old used hardware. Probably an old workstation. My question is how much horsepower do I need? what matters the most? I know about the importance of RAM and storage but what is the gold middle ground for cpu? What core count will be optimal for this remembering about potential new ideas for integrations? Is there a way to assume how much CPU each system needs?  And I also care about idle power consumption.

Thanks,