1080p on a 1440p monitor?

Below I have my Monitor info listed, I am using DP hookups, also included is my GPU and CPU. Now with that said, the GPU isn't really a fan of running my games at 1440p, and for the life of me, i can't seem to figure out how to change it to 1080p for just the game, or honestly if that is even possible. The games only give me the option for 1440p, and while i can run the game at 1440p with the current setup, i have to have all my settings down to medium to achieve 144fps. Now my goal for most games is only really 120 fps, it needs to be slightly higher so i don't drop below that (that's my goal at least)

I'm still relatively new to the PC gaming world, so any advice on this would be great.

Everything is still set to default in the BIOS, Ryzen Master, and AMD Adrenaline. 

I believe the MOBO is an ASUS B550 AM4 non Wi-Fi variant, not sure of the specific variant.

DISPLAY
Display Size- 34 inches
Refresh Rate- 165 hertz
Resolution- QHD Ultra Wide 1440p
Response Time- 1 milliseconds
          GPU
  • Chipset: AMD RX 7600
  • Memory: 8GB GDDR6
  • XFX SWFT Dual Fan Cooling Solution
  • Boost Clock: Up to 2655 MHz

CPU

Brand AMD
CPU Manufacturer AMD
CPU Model Ryzen 5 5600x
CPU Speed 4.6 GHz
CPU Socket Socket AM4

So, for one your display is 3440x1440. "1440p" would really refer to 2560x1440. Regardless..

What you should really be doing in applicable games is using FSR. If that's not available, RSR is always an option. Some games also have the ability to reduce the render scale but should only be used if FSR isn't available and RSR isn't working for whatever reason.  

The absolute last option would be manually changing your resolution in Windows. 

What resolutions do you have available? Is 2560x1080 an option? 

5 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

What resolutions do you have available? Is 2560x1080 an option?

yes, 2560x1080 is an option. I was just hoping that i was missing something within the games settings to adjust this. 

When you say RSR and FSR, I'm sorry, but i have no clue what you are talking about, i will look them up and see what they are and see if i have the option to choose these.

6 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

The absolute last option would be manually changing your resolution in Windows.

I agree, I don't want the rest of my applications to be effected by this, only when playing certain games.

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Call Me Mav said:

When you say RSR and FSR, I'm sorry, but i have no clue what you are talking about, i will look them up and see what they are and see if i have the option to choose these.

No worries. FSR is FidelityFX Super Resolution. Nvidia's variant is DLSS. Probably some of the most talked about and profound technologies introduced to gaming GPU's in the last few years, especially for those with lower end cards.

In a nutshell, in supported games enabling FSR and then setting a quality level (Quality, Balanced, Performance, etc..) will render the game at varyingly lower internal resolutions (depending on the quality level you pick) and then upscaling it to your displays native resolution. For instance, I play on a 4K monitor. In games where I select DLSS (or FSR) Quality mode, the game is actually rendered at 1440p (or thereabouts) but then upscaled to 4K. This is all just one or two clicks and takes no backend configuration as its built into the game. 

Now if I selected Balanced mode the internal render resolution would drop even further, and so on with Performance mode. The lower down you go in the quality modes the more performance you'll get (to a point) but the resulting upscaled image can begin to suffer. 

I've been a DLSS/FSR user since its inception back around the release of the RTX2000 series of GPU's and still today I always use the Quality mode when available. In some games it actually looks better than native though this varies. 

RSR (Radeon Super Resolution) is the same idea, but its done at the driver level. You only will want to use this if the game does not support FSR. You set this up in Adrenaline and can be done per game from within that control panel. Takes a little more configuration but Adrenaline has a neat little walkthrough of exactly what you need to do. You might have to click the little question mark when you turn it on.

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

RSR (Radeon Super Resolution) is the same idea, but its done at the driver level. You only will want to use this if the game does not support FSR. You set this up in Adrenaline and can be done per game from within that control panel. Takes a little more configuration but Adrenaline has a neat little walkthrough of exactly what you need to do. You might have to click the little question mark when you turn it on.

Thank you! I will check out these options when I get home today. Any other tips you may have to offer?

Thank you! I will check out these options when I get home today. Any other tips you may have to offer?

I see you quoted the RSR section but really, its only a backup for when FSR isn't an option in the game. RSR is most definitely inferior in just about every way. 

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I see you quoted the RSR section but really, its only a backup for when FSR isn't an option in the game. RSR is most definitely inferior in just about every way. 

Haha, Ignore that, I quoted the wrong section. I understand FSR over RSR. RSR only when FSR isnt available within the games settings. I looked up some videos of it.

Haha, Ignore that, I quoted the wrong section. I understand FSR over RSR. RSR only when FSR isnt available within the games settings. I looked up some videos of it.

You know its funny, my secondary PC currently has an RX6600 in it connected to a 3440x1440 ultrawide display and I've done some basic game testing with FSR and it really does improve performance significantly. Looks far better than if you were to just change the in game resolution. 

29 minutes ago, Call Me Mav said:

yes, 2560x1080 is an option. I was just hoping that i was missing something within the games settings to adjust this. 

I agree, I don't want the rest of my applications to be effected by this, only when playing certain games.

Thanks!

2560x1080p is 1080p ultrawide. If you wanted to run normal 1080p you would need to run in a windowed mode and would only cover a portion of the screen. 

2 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

You know its funny, my secondary PC currently has an RX6600 in it connected to a 3440x1440 ultrawide display and I've done some basic game testing with FSR and it really does improve performance significantly. Looks far better than if you were to just change the in game resolution. 

So far, from what I'm reading, everyone says that it REALLY helps for playing more demanding games on a budget PC. I was beginning to think picking the RX 7600 over the RX 6650xt was a horrible decision.

@GuiltySpark_ BAM, Thank you, so the game I play doesn't support FSR so I enabled RSR... and wow! The change it made! So I can steadily hold over 144fps on ultras settings when prior it was only in the 60-70s on ultra. I think I'm kind of being throttled on that game with my CPU, so I'm going to be picking up a Ryzen 7 5800x3D this week.

Thanks again for the help boss!