Good CPU fan curve for Ryzen 7600 stock

asimon00

I am cooling a Ryzen 7600 stock with a Noctua NH-U9S. Looking for recommendations for a good fan curve that will keep the cpu nice and cool. There is only one fan attached to the cooler.

Thanks!

38 minutes ago, asimon00 said:

I am cooling a Ryzen 7600 stock with a Noctua NH-U9S. Looking for recommendations for a good fan curve that will keep the cpu nice and cool. There is only one fan attached to the cooler.

Thanks!

It is impossible for anyone to give you a meaningful curve. Your case, gpu, component placement and ambient temperature all factor in. To add to the fact, everyone's taste of noise vs temp is different. I may be happy at 60% fan speed, but you may think that it sounds unreasonable.

Trial and error. See what works for your situation.

6 hours ago, asimon00 said:

Thanks!

Without knowing about your PC, all I can do is ask: do you want performance, quietness, a balance? I would personally suggest adding a second fan to your cooler. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Sorry, afk for a few days. Full Spec is:
Ryzen 7600 Stock
Noctua NH-u9S with 1 fan
In a Hyte Revolt 3 with 2 intake fans ( Noctua Brown fans )
Rx 6700xt
32 gb of low profile t force RAM

I am looking for a quiet and good performing cooling state. I am currently running the cpu cooler fan at full speed until I have everything sorted out. 

6 minutes ago, asimon00 said:

I am looking for a quiet and good performing cooling state. I am currently running the cpu cooler fan at full speed until I have everything sorted out. 

Simply adjust it to your liking. As explained, fan curves cannot be translated between builds, it doesn't work that way. Different fans, different cases, different ambient temps, different expectations of what is "cool", different noise tolerances. I don't run any "curve", per say. Flat 40% PWM on all case and CPU cooler fans (7900x now 7800x3D) that only jumps to 60% PWM at 85C. With a PBO undervolt, this is only when under full load which is not often. 

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Simply adjust it to your liking. As explained, fan curves cannot be translated between builds, it doesn't work that way. Different fans, different cases, different ambient temps, different expectations of what is "cool", different noise tolerances. I don't run any "curve", per say. Flat 40% PWM on all case and CPU cooler fans (7900x now 7800x3D) that only jumps to 60% PWM at 85C. With a PBO undervolt, this is only when under full load which is not often. 

Unfortunately I was stupid enough to buy a motherboard that does not support overclocking/undervolting

On 3/17/2024 at 6:07 AM, RevGAM said:

Without knowing about your PC, all I can do is ask: do you want performance, quietness, a balance? I would personally suggest adding a second fan to your cooler. 

Hello my friend, any advice now that I have my specs listed above?

1 minute ago, asimon00 said:

The only advice you're going to get is what you've already been given. Find a good balance of sound and cooling for your baseline at idle, then run a load and determine where the fans should be. Then its simply about how aggressive it ramps up. Too aggressive and you'll get that fan ramp up and down when just navigating around the PC which is super annoying. I despise that which is why I just run a flat static PWM% unless its necessary for them to get faster.  

26 minutes ago, asimon00 said:

As I said before, add a fan to your cooler. You should also add an exhaust fan. 

@GuiltySpark_is correct. 

Which brown Noctua fans? Most are brown. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

41 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

As I said before, add a fan to your cooler. You should also add an exhaust fan. 

@GuiltySpark_is correct. 

Which brown Noctua fans? Most are brown. 

1 NF-A12x15

1 NF-A14

1 hour ago, asimon00 said:

1 NF-A12x15

1 NF-A14

Use the A12x25 for exhaust and replace it with another a14. Don't forget to double up on the cooler. 

Also, make sure to keep the dust filters heatsinks clean.

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Use the A12x25 for exhaust and replace it with another a14. Don't forget to double up on the cooler. 

Also, make sure to keep the dust filters heatsinks clean.

Unfortunately, revolt 3 with my current cooler will not fit another A14 fan ( I had one in there to begin with and it did not fit so I had to buy the A12-15 ) I will definitely buy another fan to put on my cooler. As of right now the only exhaust on the case is the GPU fans on the front of the case suppose I could turn around one of the case fans and have them act as exhaust if you think that would help.

35 minutes ago, asimon00 said:

Unfortunately, revolt 3 with my current cooler will not fit another A14 fan ( I had one in there to begin with and it did not fit so I had to buy the A12-15 ) I will definitely buy another fan to put on my cooler. As of right now the only exhaust on the case is the GPU fans on the front of the case suppose I could turn around one of the case fans and have them act as exhaust if you think that would help.

Photo please. The Hyte page isn't very clear about the fan situation, other than using an 80mm on top. I didn't realize this is a mesh case.

I don't advise turning around one of the front fans. The GPU is not exhausting for the case. If there is no space for an exhaust fan, you could mount it externally. Can you clarify what's possible?

The revolt 3 is a small ITX case, there are only so many spots for fans. 

Here is one with a 7600. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/17b9cwc/hyte_revolt_3_silent_stealth_build/

I certainly would have used an AIO with that case but no matter. Real shame you don't have access to PBO. 

Another with an air cooled 7600x and an IS-55 air cooler, sadly no shots of the inside. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/13te19l/hyte_revolt_3_sff_incredibly_fun_build/

You don't need to run your fan on maximum,  just experiment with the fan curve till you find the right one.

16 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Air cooled model with a 7600. 

456724.7c2c0dd4da5834cd48bdc946bd447d4a.1600.jpg

456724.224ef88e3498becb2bece1725e7c8681.1600.jpg

456724.ef0510fae3eb71c4aaa8064cde91bfb4.1600.jpg

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

Photo please. The Hyte page isn't very clear about the fan situation, other than using an 80mm on top. I didn't realize this is a mesh case.

I don't advise turning around one of the front fans. The GPU is not exhausting for the case. If there is no space for an exhaust fan, you could mount it externally. Can you clarify what's possible?

1 hour ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

The revolt 3 is a small ITX case, there are only so many spots for fans. 

Here is one with a 7600. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/17b9cwc/hyte_revolt_3_silent_stealth_build/

I certainly would have used an AIO with that case but no matter. Real shame you don't have access to PBO. 

Another with an air cooled 7600x and an IS-55 air cooler, sadly no shots of the inside. 

https://old.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/13te19l/hyte_revolt_3_sff_incredibly_fun_build/

I can take photos when I get home. Yea, I should have been more careful when selecting a motherboard, although my options were very limited. At time of purchase I bought the cheapest one with the next step up being 150$ more expensive. I did not use an AIO because I was worried about the tubes not fitting well/not being able to coil correctly. Is there any third party software that could help me undervolt the cpu even though the motherboard does not give me access to that function?

Just now, asimon00 said:

I can take photos when I get home. Yea, I should have been more careful when selecting a motherboard, although my options were very limited. At time of purchase I bought the cheapest one with the next step up being 150$ more expensive. I did not use an AIO because I was worried about the tubes not fitting well/not being able to coil correctly. Is there any third party software that could help me undervolt the cpu even though the motherboard does not give me access to that function?

And, if I am adding a fan to the CPU cooler, should it be pulling air into the heatsink or pushing air out?

9 minutes ago, asimon00 said:

I'm not familiar with what AMD has that might be used to undervolt outside of BIOS. For Intel it's their XTU program. Sorry.

9 minutes ago, asimon00 said:

And, if I am adding a fan to the CPU cooler, should it be pulling air into the heatsink or pushing air out?

It should be flowing in the same direction as the first fan. How much clearance do you have for that fan?

6 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

I'm not familiar with what AMD has that might be used to undervolt outside of BIOS. For Intel it's their XTU program. Sorry.

It should be flowing in the same direction as the first fan. How much clearance do you have for that fan?

Not sure the exact measurement but I should be able to put another one in there. I am going to order one when I get home. 

12 hours ago, RevGAM said:

12 hours ago, asimon00 said:

Not sure the exact measurement but I should be able to put another one in there. I am going to order one when I get home. 

Ryzen Master might be able to help with undervolting, its AMDs equivalent programme to intel's XTU

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

10 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

Ryzen Master might be able to help with undervolting, its AMDs equivalent programme to intel's XTU

I think the options for under volting on the software are turned off because my MOBO doesnt have the features unlocked.. Can anyone confirm this? I am not sure what I should be looking for

11 hours ago, asimon00 said:

I think the options for under volting on the software are turned off because my MOBO doesnt have the features unlocked.. Can anyone confirm this? I am not sure what I should be looking for

Id say thats the most likely case, the software can only do so much if its completely locked down in other regions

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3