if i build a small computer in a nas case(Please help me find a nas case), put windows on it and use it as a nas with a backblaze pc backup subscription on it to keep all my dta backed up, (I wouldn't need very much bandwidth to it anyway), is it a good idea? What would the specs need to be for such a computer? Would a 2 core celeron be enough along with 8gigs of ram? 

It would mainly be used for backups. Also, any idea on how i could set up a decent local file sharing program? Windows samba file transfer only works on wondows and is quite crappy tbh, (I would have it backed up to backblaze anyway so i could access all the data from my phone if i need to but, say from my laptop which would be on the same LAN, is there a good way to access it other than making it a network drive?)

update: why can’t I find a single NAS case under 400 usd?

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

also note as per the latest typing test on my laptop, my accuracy is 69%

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

9 minutes ago, Indian pc builder said:

Windows samba file transfer only works on wondows

Uh no, that's basically what everything uses and is the one that is compatible everywhere.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

35 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Uh no, that's basically what everything uses and is the one that is compatible everywhere.

say I have my Iphone connected to the wifi on the same LAN as the NAS, and i want to show someone some old photos that i have backed up to the nas, how do i access it (I'm not going to spend a cent on any paid or full of ads app to access my own data in my own house with my own phone )

Imagine everything i have written in a Linus Voice/ linus tone (Spock live long and prosper gif here ,idk why tho, i guess i just want to say that i like star trek and am waiting for new seasons of the ongoing shows), But seriously, a lot of what i type only makes sense when said in a Linus tone from an older ltt video (circa 2017-2019 & now 2024-onwards) basically before he got a beard and a lot of it should make sense even in a Linus with a beard face.

I'm not weird/creepy, I'm just observant I have ADHD and am not on any meds for it.

"Files" on iOS can connect to SMB shares natively.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

3 hours ago, Kilrah said:

"Files" on iOS can connect to SMB shares natively.

so I can build and and be good to go?

If yes then am i ok putting the slowest new chip in it that i can find along with 8 gigs of ram would that affect raid of im using the raid setting where each of the drives are duplicated once? (im willing ti do 8 tb in 4 2 tb drives) or should i do something else for raid and the specs?

I would use a dedicated NAS OS.

F@H

GPD Win 2

TrueNAS or unraid are good options for operating systems that can accomplish your goal. I prefer TrueNAS. Best of all it's free.

With file sharing as the sole duty, yes, a dual-core Celeron processor would serve flawlessly as a NAS. However, Windows has extensive overheads by which the poor Celeron would be overwhelmed, and is thus not recommended. Linux, in the contrast, has much less overheads, and has been supporting Samba for a dozen years.

Some lighter distributions of Windows can be considered though, such as the well-known Atlas OS, in which most of overheads not needed by gamers have been removed. Be aware that services like Samba could be shut down in interest of gaming performance, and should be turned on manually.☺️

On 3/17/2024 at 11:40 AM, Bersella AI said:

With file sharing as the sole duty, yes, a dual-core Celeron processor would serve flawlessly as a NAS. However, Windows has extensive overheads by which the poor Celeron would be overwhelmed, and is thus not recommended. Linux, in the contrast, has much less overheads, and has been supporting Samba for a dozen years.

Some lighter distributions of Windows can be considered though, such as the well-known Atlas OS, in which most of overheads not needed by gamers have been removed. Be aware that services like Samba could be shut down in interest of gaming performance, and should be turned on manually.☺️

what about tiny11? my only real requirement for os is that it be windows based 

alos if not a celeron, what about like an i3-12/13100?

also  can i make the computer headless?

On 3/18/2024 at 8:32 PM, Indian pc builder said:

what about tiny11? my only real requirement for os is that it be windows based 

alos if not a celeron, what about like an i3-12/13100?

also  can i make the computer headless?

Although Tiny11 is tiny enough, it's recommended to take another distribution based on Windows 10 LTSC 1809/21H2, such as Atlas. More robust, stable than 11.

Core i3 processors since 8th gen are much beefier than Celeron, and would be decent for such scenarios.

Headless operation is feasible on most of Intel systems. I have a headless server with Pentium G4600.

On 3/21/2024 at 6:13 PM, Bersella AI said:

Although Tiny11 is tiny enough, it's recommended to take another distribution based on Windows 10 LTSC 1809/21H2, such as Atlas. More robust, stable than 11.

Core i3 processors since 8th gen are much beefier than Celeron, and would be decent for such scenarios.

Headless operation is feasible on most of Intel systems. I have a headless server with Pentium G4600.

Any guides you can send over on how to get headless operation working decently?

also I’m just gonna get an i3 12100?

On 3/23/2024 at 10:08 PM, Indian pc builder said:

Any guides you can send over on how to get headless operation working decently?

There are two ways for management of headless systems: web interfaces, or remote desktops. For Windows, you may wish to have both available, the latter of which would help you set up services and maintain the supervisor itself, whilst the former is provided by select services, and may be easier to configure than that in remote windows. Tutorials about implementations of ToDesk, TeamViewer or native services can be found on YouTube or elsewhere.