Brand new laptop, screen freezes every other day (Lenovo LOQ)

I've got a brand new laptop on which i've switched out the 512GB SSD it came with and put in a 2TB one instead. And instead of the pre-installed Windows 11, i'm running the laptop on Windows 10 because i like it better.

Other than that, everything's as it was when i bought it.

And it works great - apart from the screen freezing every other day and me having to hold down the power button to be able to turn it off. No BSOD, everything just freezes.

What might be causing this? Is it more likely to be hardware- och software-related?

Theres a good chance it's a software issue. Laptops quite often have quite unique drivers/ aplications that are manufacturer specific and if those drivers either didn't get installed by default with Win 10 or do not exist on windows 10 at all (if the manufacturer only supports Windows 11) then it could be causing issues. Worth checking manufacturer website for what drivers they provide and if theres anything there that you might not currently have installed/ setup.

It could well be a gfx driver issue come to think of it. As you have an Nvidia GFX card in there and I think your AMD CPU also had Radeon graphics, it could just be them passing control between them causing some sort of glitch that causes it to hang. Laptops generally switch between the high power gaming gfx (Nvidia in this case) and the CPU's built in GFX to minimise power draw when idling.

Put it on 11 this thing doesnt have official win 10 driver support for chipset and suc which is a common cause for these issues

As others have said, it's a Windows 11 laptop, it most likely does not have the proper software/driver support to run Windows 10. They aren't made to be compatible with 10 anymore. Upgrade it to 11 or fresh install it back to 11 and see if it still has issues. I doubt it will. If 10 is a deal breaker for you buy an older used laptop that has proper Windows 10 support. 

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Put it on 11 this thing doesnt have official win 10 driver support for chipset and suc which is a common cause for these issues

55 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

As others have said, it's a Windows 11 laptop, it most likely does not have the proper software/driver support to run Windows 10. They aren't made to be compatible with 10 anymore. Upgrade it to 11 or fresh install it back to 11 and see if it still has issues. I doubt it will. If 10 is a deal breaker for you buy an older used laptop that has proper Windows 10 support. 

I guess i will have to, thanks for the replies. If only Windows 11 could suck less 😑

1 hour ago, gigabyter said:

I guess i will have to, thanks for the replies. If only Windows 11 could suck less 😑

I mean it's ok? It's basically just 10 with a new skin. All the annoying stuff is now also in 10 pretty much at this point.

• 2 weeks later...

Reinstalled Windows 10 and made sure to install all the drivers available on Lenovo's support page for this model, and it's worked great ever since, no more freezes or anything. Must have been just a driver that was missing, probably missed the VGA driver the first time around or something.

Thank goodness that i don't have to deal with Windows 11.