Intel SDE for AVX2 Support

Hi guys, Need some help here, I've been trying to install Audition but the installation process stops instantly giving me an error saying my CPU (2x E5520) doesn't support AVX2, I saw that intel released a tool called SDE which is an emulator which allows to emulate different architectures, giving the chance to emulate different instruction sets, the problem is, I am a noob, and I can't skillfully use the CMD, intel itself has tutorial and material on their website, but again, not savvy enough to understand, I'll leave a link (if that's allowed), if someone can dumb it down for me that'll be really appreciated ❤️ https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/developer/articles/tool/software-development-emulator.html

Free is nice, but since you're using Adobe anyway, I think spending some money on this problem is justified.

AVX2 was supported with mainstream Haswell CPUs (Intel 4000 series), which are much faster than your current setup as well. In most workloads, a single Core i7 4770 will be faster than both E5520 CPUs working together - even for multithreading.

Since Haswell is over a decade old now, desktops and workstations that support AVX2 are quite cheap. Like, so cheap that it's approaching the price of your subscription to Adobe Audition to pick up a used desktop - and if you have more with Creative Cloud than just Audition, that's even truer.

Here's an example of what you could do - if you're not in the US, there should be similar options in your area unless your used market is really bad.

Get an old Dell with a 4th gen i5 for $77 after shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/176275346385

Then buy a Core i7 4770 for $38: https://www.ebay.com/itm/226044049568?itmmeta=01HS14SA6VMNSGF2TPDN6B7C51

Since it supports DDR3, the RAM in your current system should be compatible, so get 4 of your current sticks for the new-to-you computer.

Upgrade the CPU and RAM and you then have a faster system for ~$115 that now supports AVX2 and should offer superior IO since it supports USB 3.0 - and you can even optionally sell the i5 4440 for $15-20 to bring it down to a ~$100 upgrade.

This isn't necessarily the best price-to-performance upgrade you could get - a Ryzen AM4 build could be done for about $400 that would be much faster with better features and IO - but if you're already spending $35+ a month on Adobe Audition, then spending at least $115 seems fair to me.

41 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Free is nice, but since you're using Adobe anyway, I think spending some money on this problem is justified.

AVX2 was supported with mainstream Haswell CPUs (Intel 4000 series), which are much faster than your current setup as well. In most workloads, a single Core i7 4770 will be faster than both E5520 CPUs working together - even for multithreading.

Since Haswell is over a decade old now, desktops and workstations that support AVX2 are quite cheap. Like, so cheap that it's approaching the price of your subscription to Adobe Audition to pick up a used desktop - and if you have more with Creative Cloud than just Audition, that's even truer.

Here's an example of what you could do - if you're not in the US, there should be similar options in your area unless your used market is really bad.

Get an old Dell with a 4th gen i5 for $77 after shipping: https://www.ebay.com/itm/176275346385

Then buy a Core i7 4770 for $38: https://www.ebay.com/itm/226044049568?itmmeta=01HS14SA6VMNSGF2TPDN6B7C51

Since it supports DDR3, the RAM in your current system should be compatible, so get 4 of your current sticks for the new-to-you computer.

Upgrade the CPU and RAM and you then have a faster system for ~$115 that now supports AVX2 and should offer superior IO since it supports USB 3.0 - and you can even optionally sell the i5 4440 for $15-20 to bring it down to a ~$100 upgrade.

This isn't necessarily the best price-to-performance upgrade you could get - a Ryzen AM4 build could be done for about $400 that would be much faster with better features and IO - but if you're already spending $35+ a month on Adobe Audition, then spending at least $115 seems fair to me.

I've looked into upgrading for a while now, the reason I am not going that way is because my system is actually a 2009 cheese grater from apple, I have a dual OS (I use both system quite often) so I can't lose a the mac part of it, and by just getting another PC, yes, it will be budget friendly but either way I'll still have to upgrade my mac down the line and the pc, specially 'cause I want to avoid clattering (future plan is a mac mini m2 and a mini ITX pc with a couple of USB/video input switches) so I just wanted to have a fix for now till I get a better job so I can then do a proper upgrade in hopefully 6 months time, but I really appreciate the advice, even for my future windows I'm looking either second hand from older Gen. or going low end AM5 and then down the line get a better one