cpu stuck at 0.79 ghz

my friend laptop (hp pavilion gaming 15, i5 9300h) cpu stuck at 0.79 ghz when plugged in, i fixed it by download throttlestop and uncheck BD PROCHOT. While yes that fix the issue what i want to know is what is the more permanent way to fix it.

I tried unplug and plugging it back in and doesn't fix it self, i tried changing intelppm in the regedit and while the cpu is at 2.4ghz after restart, it's still very laggy and doesnt really solve the issue. Even after updating bios, windows update and intel driver update (since im suspecting the software issue side) it still doesnt fix it self.

My other suspicion is on the charger, he said the original charger broke so he change it to hp brand but for different laptop and it worked fine and only recently start having that issue. Im not sure if the charge has anything to do with the cpu throttling as a way to protect the laptop from the charger. He was planning to buy the new charger but since the laptop is kinda old he decide to just let it be for now, and buy new one later on.

tl;dr how to fix cpu stuck at 0.79 ghz other than throttlestop?

9 minutes ago, Chris2002 said:

(hp pavilion gaming 15, i5 9300h) cpu stuck at 0.79 ghz when plugged in, i fixed it by download throttlestop and uncheck BD PROCHOT.

I used to have that laptop, same issue and same solution I used for it. When I contacted HP to try and get it fixed without resorting to that, they said it would be an issue with the power adapter, so that might be worth trying to swap, though since the power adapter I used worked well enough (it was aftermarket and slightly less wattage than the factory charger, though the laptop still charged fine enough) I never bothered with testing that solution and just used Throttlestop for the ~2 years I used it. 

Does it boost properly when it's running off battery?

It could be assuming it has the smallest possible charger connected, and holding itself back from drawing too much power. (I've seen that happen on workstation laptops when the charger's DC connector gets damaged.)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

What power mode is Windows running in? Wonder if you could play around with settings to get it to boost higher, without having to use Throttlestop, or get a new power adapter.

What power adapter are you currently using?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

23 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Does it boost properly when it's running off battery?

yes it run properly when on battery

23 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

It could be assuming it has the smallest possible charger connected, and holding itself back from drawing too much power. (I've seen that happen on workstation laptops when the charger's DC connector gets damaged.)

yea this is also what im assuming happen so i recommend him to get new charger, but he decide not to since its an old laptop

10 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What power mode is Windows running in? Wonder if you could play around with settings to get it to boost higher, without having to use Throttlestop, or get a new power adapter.

I have tried changing the power mode from balance to custom one by changing the cpu power limit to 100% and it still doesnt solve it

10 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What power adapter are you currently using

its a hp charger but higher wattage than the included one, it worked fine at first no cpu throttle and charge normally only recently the cpu throttled

30 minutes ago, Chris2002 said:

I have tried changing the power mode from balance to custom one by changing the cpu power limit to 100% and it still doesnt solve it

its a hp charger but higher wattage than the included one, it worked fine at first no cpu throttle and charge normally only recently the cpu throttled

When you changed the registry, did you confirm the CPU was actually running at 2.4GHz? If it was still laggy, I doubt it made any actual change to CPU frequency. 

But since your CPU frequency goes back to normal when running on battery, I'd say it's definitely some interaction between the charger and laptop. 

If you reduce your power limit, does anything change? 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

6 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

When you changed the registry, did you confirm the CPU was actually running at 2.4GHz? If it was still laggy, I doubt it made any actual change to CPU frequency. 

yes the moment i boot the laptop i open task manager first and cpu is at 100% 2.4ghz but very laggy state, i dont have any other explanation other than its weird.

6 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If you reduce your power limit, does anything change?

no, i originally suspect that it got confused since on balance power plan cpu minimum state is at 5% despite being plugged in, after changing it to 100% it stays at 0,79 ghz