24" monitor suggestions?

DV2FOX

My BenQ XL2420T from 2013 developed a weird light by the center of the screen (Not sure if it can be fixed one way or another)

Hard to see a bit... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIm9YroWcAADZ8b?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

While i can live with it, when drawing it can be a bother

I was thinking it's time to upgrade the monitor to something newer and better, even if minimal. However the whole "Pick your poison" is still there

A decade ago i was recommended to get the 1st line's monitor and pretty happy, specially after some calibration to keep good colours without killing my eyes from saturation/contrast/whatever

Now i wanted to ask what'd be worth for my case scenario:

-New games with story (ALAN WAKE 2, RESIDENT EVIL, platformers, etc)
-Fast paced games like DOOM ETERNAL and maybe some competitive games
-Basic Adobe Photoshop and other Adobe products' colouring, nothing professional. Been doing, again, fine with my actual monitor

I'm aware that:

-TN's angles sucks (Even tho i look straight all the time) and colours aren't the best but the Hz matters etc
-IPS colours are great, minus some blacks, but the backlight bleed lottery and IPS glow kills the experience in dark rooms with dark games (Like, distracting)
-No way with VA due to smearing and NO WAY with OLED due to burn-in + price.

My thoughts would be another TN to begin with, with BenQ's XL2411K for 240€ (As long as it's better than mine, since they're pretty similar) or maybe XL2540K for 300€, although the latter's said to have coil whine at the monitor and that's a huge no (Unless BenQ fixed it and says wich manufacturing date should appear at the box)... Wich's a first time to hear about coil whine ON A MONITOR

I know many people would say "TN shouldn't be bought in 2024 anymore" yet there they are...But atleast some advice?

2 minutes ago, DV2FOX said:

My BenQ XL2420T from 2013 developed a weird light by the center of the screen (Not sure if it can be fixed one way or another)

Hard to see a bit... https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GIm9YroWcAADZ8b?format=jpg&name=4096x4096

While i can live with it, when drawing it can be a bother

I was thinking it's time to upgrade the monitor to something newer and better, even if minimal. However the whole "Pick your poison" is still there

A decade ago i was recommended to get the 1st line's monitor and pretty happy, specially after some calibration to keep good colours without killing my eyes from saturation/contrast/whatever

Now i wanted to ask what'd be worth for my case scenario:

-New games with story (ALAN WAKE 2, RESIDENT EVIL, platformers, etc)
-Fast paced games like DOOM ETERNAL and maybe some competitive games
-Basic Adobe Photoshop and other Adobe products' colouring, nothing professional. Been doing, again, fine with my actual monitor

I'm aware that:

-TN's angles sucks (Even tho i look straight all the time) and colours aren't the best but the Hz matters etc
-IPS colours are great, minus some blacks, but the backlight bleed lottery and IPS glow kills the experience in dark rooms with dark games (Like, distracting)
-No way with VA due to smearing and NO WAY with OLED due to burn-in + price.

My thoughts would be another TN to begin with, with BenQ's XL2411K for 240€ (As long as it's better than mine, since they're pretty similar) or maybe XL2540K for 300€, although the latter's said to have coil whine at the monitor and that's a huge no (Unless BenQ fixed it and says wich manufacturing date should appear at the box)... Wich's a first time to hear about coil whine ON A MONITOR

I know many people would say "TN shouldn't be bought in 2024 anymore" yet there they are...But atleast some advice?

why not get something bigger for that price?

There really aren't many decent TN panel 24" high refresh-rate monitors out there I think (or perhaps I'm just not informed). Except ultra high refresh rate ones, like Asus PG248QP 540Hz one and some others. Those don't fit into your budget. IPS is the most decent all-around panel type at lower price range I think. 

The glow in the dark is not absent on TN afaik either in dark environment and dark scenes combined.

And you could get a half decent 24" IPS for half the budget.

Something like - https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cYpzK8/asus-tuf-gaming-vg249q1a-238-1920-x-1080-165-hz-monitor-vg249q1a

or https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nGYRsY/aoc-24g4-238-1920-x-1080-180-hz-monitor-24g4

Not a direct upgrade perhaps...

Also as noted before - why not 1440p 27"? Something like Dell G2724D  or LG 27GP850.

I edit my posts more often than not

Maybe, but the whole IPS Glow is a turn off (Again, distracting. I know it's necessary for IPS panels, but not everyone has the same taste).

I don't mind a bit of small overall "glow" on my TN if that means that after some calibration i could get nice, non eye burning colours while keeping a good refresh rate, as long there's no ghosting nor any other issues that my actual monitor can do. I've been used to it without issues nor dead pixels (yet...Hopefully i'm not calling for one now)

I saw the ASUS one but i wouldn't even notice the hz difference. Besides, the official ASUS site shows it for 500, wich could be fine, but every shop in Europe is out for a brutal 1000€!!!!...Like an OLED, but ..."Excuse me?"

144hz minimal, 240max. I'm aware 1440p would look better along 27" but again, IPS glow. UNLESS there's a TN 1440p 27" wich i highly doubt it

If i play a game in the dark TN's fine because even if there's the overall glow, there are no "way more distracting glows" like IPS does. Besides, you can see monsters in the dark, or CSGO people on TN because of the competitiveness etc

I know i am putting too many shields to prevent stepping on a mine and not be able to go back (I know i can return a monitor, but sometimes "they don't allow it"), but... Well, you can imagine. Everyone's a world

Not sold anymore in Spain anywere

Not all IPS monitors have backlight bleed, mine does not and is very even across the panel, but it's not a low end one at all. It can be a gamble if you have it or not tho.

TN do have worse colour accuracy.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

That's what i want to prevent. Gambling. And yeah, i know TN has bad colours, but again, after calibrating mine it has good enough colours without straining my eyes, etc

Many people says IPS IPS!...But don't think about people's fears on it, along gambling. You see tons of em on Amazon reviews etc

The backlight bleed thing comes from reviewers turning the panel up to 100% brightness and then checking it, which of course youre going to see some of it. You can mitigate it on any monitor that has it though by making sure the bezel is clamped against the screen properly in the corners and turning down that brightness to 75% at least. Your retinas will thank you, thats for sure.

Im not saying they dont have it, cause they for sure do, but its usually not as detrimental as people portray. Also, the power savings that comes with LED IPS is pretty damn great. My 38" Gsync Ultimate monitor uses 41 watts on average, which is the most power saving device in my whole rig probably. Anyway, good luck to you in your search. 🙂

"Clamping" ?...I mean, doesn't any kind of monitor have got the screen attached nicely against the surrounding plastic or something?..

I've asked a friend of mine to do the above on their "Fast IPS" ASUS XG27AQ 1440p 144.01 (excuse me, .01 ?!) . Will let you know about the possible outcome later tho, since we're from Europe and timezones are a  PAIN. Wait around 5-6h for the possible results, but reply to the following below so i can also notice the notification bell

I mean i am very sure that colours do look better than a TN, even tho, maybe?, blacks aren't that better than what i've read, but can be ignored somehow?. Also hopefully the colours ain't that INTENSE or i'll get dizzy/red eyes...

But the IPS glow and Backlight bleed is perhaps "the worrysome part of this entire topic of -Pick your poison-"

Just to get an idea, what'd be the "safest to buy" IPS monitors out there, so i can give em a check? (And ask people for a photo with the whole brightness settings ya said). From what i see ASUS, LG?, AOC and Acer seems to be good names. Many others say evade ViewSonic like the PLAGUE and others don't have much luck with LG

I'd be using that RTINGS site to compare em with what seems to be the "closest to mine" monitor, the BenQ XL2411K (Again, i own a XL2420T from 2013..), since IPS have evolved so much, hopefully they also evolved in anti blurry/ghosting/trail/strobe whatever BS the TN can do so great etc

Friendly reminder that besides any kind of game (Competitive, casual with a story, etc) i also do some BASIC Photoshopping and colouring stuff. Keep that in mind

Another reminder is that, since i live in Europe, not every monitor ya mention might be avaliable over here (out of stock, out of production, etc...). Budget should be around 500€ but i could stretch it a tiny bit. OLEDs are a NO (Burn-in. I already got a LG C3 but that's dedicated for BluRay movies and console. PC not at all except some small anime/live action series because THERE'S NO STATICS)

Between 24 and 27", 1080p/1440p if possible and around 13cm height or more. Anything above 27" will be SHOT DOWN ON SIGHT. You can see a reference of my setup here https://twitter.com/DV2THEFOX/status/1768679493328162998/photo/1

My PC has been recently updated a week n some ago to a RYZEN 5800X3D (NO OC, DON'T ASK TO DO IT), GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Super GAMING OC. Keeping only the motherboard (ASUS X570 TUF GAMING PLUS) and 32GB DDR4 RAM (PSU, tower and CPU cooler changed for the better) if that helps with some "bottleneck factors"

EDIT: Here's the friend's ASUS monitor with Brightness 75. I dunno what to say...

IMG_5460.jpg?ex=66072a48&is=65f4b548&hm=

However, when there's stuff on the monitor... The glow and bleed's gone (except, maybe, the taskbar's clock at the bottom right)

EDIT: He's using an "Accent" at the taskbar, making me think it was IPS glow/bleed etc...My bad

IMG_5462.jpg?ex=66072c6e&is=65f4b76e&hm=