E3-1220L v3 without cooling

I believe the 1220L v3 is the lowest power modern ish cpu that uses a regular desktop socket.
But it is still 13w. Is it possible to significantly lower this?

I'm just wondering at what point do you not even need a cooler. Like a lot of single board computers like raspberry pi and similar do not have a cooler.
Unfortunately it seems the limits of all of those are around 2-4w
But the intel cpu is massive in comparison, and has a big IHS, so surely it can dissipate more

like imagine just opening your case and theres just no cooler and despite this it still works fine lol
maybe a fan pointed at it

15 minutes ago, OhYou_ said:

maybe a fan pointed at it

done this in the past with some e5000 pentiums, iirc pentium e5800 at 2ghz 0.85v running around the mid 70s in prime95 smallest ffts with just a fan pointed at it

e5000 pentiums dont output much heat probably something to do with being high leakage or something like that where they use lots of volt but dont really output much heat so thats the kind of chip you wanna find, dunno about newer chips wether theres a particular lineup thats binned like these e5000 pentiums to be horrible clockers that use lots of volt but output basically no heat

i did try without fan but even at the lowest clock and volt i could run its just gonna overheat, maybe thermal paste on the edges of the cpu touching the socket so the mobo can act like a giant heatsink could help but this is 775 so doesnt help that the northbridge and southbridge are also heating the mobo up

also if you wanna swap the cpu wait a little while cause its gonna be burning hot even with a fan pointed at it

basically just find a lineup of cpus that are binned to output basically no heat, afaik the L cpus are the exact opposite of what you want as they draw less power and are low leakage but they output lots of heat, thats why 1366 xeon l suck for overclocking since youll hit thermal limit despite the low tdp

datasheets wont help here as youll have to do some testing for yourself and buy a bunch of cpus, those pentiums have the same tdp as the core 2 duos but the c2ds output alot more heat, i just happen to notice that average bin e5000 even if they clock like shit run really cool

my golden sample e5400 is more like a c2d with a higher multi and cut down cache so i can bench 4.55ghz 1.55v where the other pentiums top out at 4ghz or less but this thing also outputs similar amounts of heat to a c2d atleast when comparing it to my e8400, and the coolest running of my pentiums is an e5800 which is a pretty shit bin that wont clock much past 3.8ghz at 1.4v iirc but it outputs basically no heat even compared to my other e5000 pentiums, so binning also plays a part here as some cpus may output more heat than others

now i kinda wanna buy those 10 e6700 currently available at 35¢ each and see if i can get a really good bin like i did with my golden e5400 just to have some fun with 775 after chasing 3200+ ddr3 on x58 =p (so far got 3300 windows on my i7 930)

I had a laptop that used a really low end Intel CPU, and it just had an aluminum plate for a heatsink, with no fins of any kind.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I have an Intel N100 and I would presume with 3 of 4 cores disabled it’s thermal output would be around 2.5 watts under load, sub 1 watt at idle.

You could definitely run that with just a fan nearby, no heatsink.

15 minutes ago, 8tg said:

I have an Intel N100 and I would presume with 3 of 4 cores disabled it’s thermal output would be around 2.5 watts under load, sub 1 watt at idle.

You could definitely run that with just a fan nearby, no heatsink.

Anything that's just the bare back of the die kinda scarry though because the die itself is a mid thermal mass and you get hot spots since the core itself is a super tiny part of the die. But yeah it and a lot of their old stuff like baytrail didn't even need cooling. Back when Intel gave a shit about power consumption.