Network camera questions

Donut417

My parents have been out in South Dakota settling my uncles affairs after he passed away. They brought it to my attention that he had some cameras that they were bring back home. One of them screws in to a light fixture and the other just plugs in to the wall. Im not sure on a brand. BUT Im very wary of IoT devices due to piss poor security and I who knows where these things phone home to. Looking at my Synology RT2600AC I have an option restrict network communications between the guest on the network and my local network. As long as I restrict access should it be fine?

Im also going to research these when they come back on Sunday. My mom claims there was to subscription and I do know that my sister was able to get remote access on her phone so that kinda concerns me, because someone has to be making money somewhere down the chain with data or something.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

So sorry for your loss.

If you can set up a separate VLAN for just the IoT devices to live on, and they don't require an Internet connection, you could give them access only to the local network. Then you can run them on an NVR (I'm not sure if Surveillance Station runs on their router directly.)

If they really don't require a "cloud DVR" or subscription service of any kind, you can probably get plain old RTMP streams out of them.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Wyze has the lamp sock plugs If you are trying to guess what they are.

However that doesn't mean much, as there are third party solutions that also are meant to power USB devices via lamp fixtures. You can find all sorts of these on Amazon.

Honestly I have a bunch of Wyze cameras, they routinely go on Sale for ~$25, you can get an unlimited plan for $120 a year, which means all my cameras are covered. (I do have them on an IOT VLAN) I could setup some sort of local camera system, but then I'd have to maintain it, and have a system running 24/7, meh this is the one time, I'll let a big company see my mail man deliver the mail once a day.  Doesn't bother me so much.

40 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

If you can set up a separate VLAN f

Doubt my Synology router supports VLANs.

43 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

and they don't require an Internet connection, you could give them access only to the local network. Then you can run them on an NVR (I'm not sure if Surveillance Station runs on their router directly.)

My sister was viewing it from her phone. So I know they are internet connected in some way. Ill have to see if they record locally or not. Surveillance station wont run on the router I dont think but could run on my NAS. I would just need to pick up more storage.

38 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

you can get an unlimited plan for $120 a year,

So if a sub is attached to these Im not paying and my folks wont want to pay. Also its more than $120 a year because if these eat internet data we would potentially have overage charges from Comcast or have to pay for unlimited.

If I had my choice and had the money Id invest in some Unfi doorbell cameras and one of there Dream Machine Pro's Or a Cloud Key Plus. But I dont got that kinda of money. Because I rather if everything was local under my control. Lucky for me we dont live in that bad of an area. Also our  neighbors cameras across our street can see the front parts of our house. Also our police department is less than a mile from the house. Michigan is a stand your ground state, so........ people are less stupid now days.

The Wyze ones you can put an SD Card in and they will record all the time. I've never done it, as from what I've read the SD Cards will have a short lifespan when you write to them 24/7.

At the end of the day. If guest network isnt enough. They just wont be allowed on the Network. Im not looking to complicate my network setup any more. I have too much shit in my bedroom as it is. Thanks for your time.

Rather than VLAN I prefer to just make a group on my Firewall and bolt them from the Internet. Often easier. I prefer al ocal NVR, and then remote into my NVR. One point of egress.

If the camera requires internet access to function I don't quite see what the problem is. Most of the hacking is coming from being locally jacked - not a state actor jackng them through the internet.

5 hours ago, wseaton said:

Rather than VLAN I prefer to just make a group on my Firewall and bolt them from the Internet. Often easier. I prefer al ocal NVR, and then remote into my NVR. One point of egress.

If the camera requires internet access to function I don't quite see what the problem is. Most of the hacking is coming from being locally jacked - not a state actor jackng them through the internet.

The issue is, Im not buying cameras. These are camera's we found after clearing out my uncles place. I did look at one of them and it does take an SD card. But im not sure how long an SD card would last.

Simple fact IoT devices are known for lack of security and I dont trust them. Also with cameras that are cloud based that eats in to our limited internet data. Rather not waste that.