Asus XG49V Monitor Unable to get 144Hz

Cr Talos
Go to solution Solved by Cr Talos,

The final solution was for me to get a more expensive 144Hz capable KVM (https://a.co/d/0VM3P9B). With this KVM I am able to get the full 144Hz on my Asus display !

Thank you everyone for the support !

Hi,

I currently have a RTX 4070 TI and a XG49V monitor connected through a KVM switch (https://a.co/d/drGkSly), but for some reason I am unable to get 144Hz for the display refresh rate.

When I go to the advanced display settings for the monitor, i get the options [59.968 Hz, 99.956 Hz, 119.974 Hz].

Sometimes, randomly, the monitor goes completely dark for a few seconds.

I don't know how to troubleshoot this further and I don't really understand what could be wrong. I know that the KVM switch says it's 60Hz only, but I really need to be able to use my monitor through a similar KVM switch for my work from home office setup.

Any suggestions ?

display.JPG

28 minutes ago, Cr Talos said:

I don't really understand what could be wrong. I know that the KVM switch says it's 60Hz only,

I think this issue was solved before it began. Remove the KVM from the equation and re-test.

The HDMI ports on the KVM aren't whatever HDMI version that supports 4K > 60hz (2.1? I forget the specific version number). You'll have to get a different KVM to be able to do 4K @ 144hz.

image.png.500fd3eb2b39b923bad7f7e5981e85f5.png

Just be happy you can get 60hz.. My work device is a Microsoft Surface and the dock can't do multiple screens very well. I have to use USB-C to HDMI for my main 4K monitor and it can only run at 30hz. It's pretty sad. But almost everything I do for work is just webpages/text stuff, so it's more or less okay.

18 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

I think this issue was solved before it began. Remove the KVM from the equation and re-test.

Thanks for your input, i will make sure to test without the KVM. What I don't understand is why the 144Hz is not in the options in Windows, do you think it's because the GPU detects the KVM and "knows" that it can only do certain refresh rates ?

14 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

The HDMI ports on the KVM aren't whatever HDMI version that supports 4K > 60hz (2.1? I forget the specific version number). You'll have to get a different KVM to be able to do 4K @ 144hz.

image.png.500fd3eb2b39b923bad7f7e5981e85f5.png

Just be happy you can get 60hz.. My work device is a Microsoft Surface and the dock can't do multiple screens very well. I have to use USB-C to HDMI for my main 4K monitor and it can only run at 30hz. It's pretty sad. But almost everything I do for work is just webpages/text stuff, so it's more or less okay.

I got my self a new KVM (https://a.co/d/7T8b1FM) that should be able to go to 120Hz, i'm installing it today and we'll see if it can go higher !

Just now, Cr Talos said:

Thanks for your input, i will make sure to test without the KVM. What I don't understand is why the 144Hz is not in the options in Windows, do you think it's because the GPU detects the KVM and "knows" that it can only do certain refresh rates ?

Yes, the KVM cannot support that resolution and refresh rate together. 

6 hours ago, Cr Talos said:

Basically yes, it's an HDMI standards issue. Your current KVM is HDMI 1.4b that maxes out at 4K at 30hz (or 1080p at 120hz). The new one should be HDMI 2.1b which can do 4K up to 120hz. So keep in mind your Windows will only show 120hz, not 144hz. If you wanted full 4K at 144hz you would need a KVM with DisplayPort 2.0.

It's like hooking up a 1 gigabit ethernet port on your PC to a 100mbps switch. Yes, the port can do 1gig, but the switch can only do 100mbps, so the ethernet connection in Windows will only 'see' a 100mbps connection.

The final solution was for me to get a more expensive 144Hz capable KVM (https://a.co/d/0VM3P9B). With this KVM I am able to get the full 144Hz on my Asus display !

Thank you everyone for the support !