Samsung 870 EVO safe nowadays? (Those made after nov 2022)

I've been reading alot of horror stories about this model.

But I've also been reading that it seems those manufactured after november 2022 are safe.

Looking at Samsung's site for firmwares there is a note saying *The 870 EVO model will be manufactured with a revised V6 process starting November 2022.

Does anyone have an 870 EVO made after that date and still working fine?

6 minutes ago, Mumintroll said:

I've been reading alot of horror stories about this model.

But I've also been reading that it seems those manufactured after november 2022 are safe.

Looking at Samsung's site for firmwares there is a note saying *The 870 EVO model will be manufactured with a revised V6 process starting November 2022.

They are safe.  There should be a firmware update for the SSD's made before November 2022 that fixes the issues as well.

I don't recall seeing any drives with the new model's firmware (SVT03) that have the problem with ecc errors/bad blocks, but because the problems take awhile to appear and they're silent for many users until the read/copy errors start showing up, it is hard to say 100% that they're all safe.

This one completely slipped me by, fortunately I opted for cheaper models at that point.

Its sad to see Samsung have so many issues in recent years after being so reliable prior to that.  Particularly as the problems they had were cumulative, newer firmware did not negate the damage already done.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

2 hours ago, Mumintroll said:

We usually see 870 evo  2TB and 4TB from the older ones, with failed NAND, every month or so ( it’s less now days ). 
And yes, they just die, no firmware update can fix that. 

Spoiler
CPU : Intel 14gen i7-14700K
COOLER :  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 White + thermaltake toughfan 12 white + Thermal Grizzly - CPU Contact Frame Intel 13./14. +  Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra
GPU : MSI RTX 2070 Armor @GPU 2050MHz Mem 8200MHz -> USB C 10Gb/s cable 2m -> Unitek 4x USB HUB 10 Gb/s (Y-HB08003)
MOBO : MSI MEG Z690 UNIFY
RAM :  Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 RAM 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) 6400 MHz CL32 (CMK64GX5M2B6400C32)
SSD : Intel Optane 905P 960GB U.2 (OS) + 2 x WD SN850X 4TB + 2 x PNY CS3140 2TB + ASM2824 PCIe switch -> 4 x Plextor M8PeG 1TB + flexiDOCK MB014SP-B -> Crucial MX500 2TB + GoodRam Iridium PRO 960GB + Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
HDD : WD White 18TB WD180EDFZ + SATA port multiplier adp6st0-j05 (JMB575) ->  WD Gold 8TB WD8002FRYZ + WD Gold 4TB WD4002FYYZ + WD Red PRO 4TB WD4001FFSX + WD Green 2TB WD20EARS
EXTERNAL
HDD/SSD : 
XT-XINTE LM906 (JMS583) -> Plextor M8PeG 1TB + WD My Passport slim 1TB + LaCie Porsche Design Mobile Drive 1TB USB-C + Zalman ZM-VE350 -> Goodram IRDM PRO 240GB
PSU :  Super Flower leadex platinum 750 W biały -> Bitfenix alchemy extensions białe/białe + AsiaHorse 16AWG White 
UPS :  CyberPower CP1500EPFCLCD -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 8 -> Brennenstuhl primera-line 10
LCD :  LG 32UD59-B + LG flatron IPS236 -> Silverstone SST-ARM11BC
CASE :  Fractal R5 Biały + Lian Li BZ-H06A srebrny + 6 x Thermaltake toughfan 14 white + Thermalright TL-B8W
SPEAKERS :  Aune S6 Pro -> Topping PA3-B -> Polk S20e black -> Monoprice stand 16250
HEADPHONES :  TOSLINK 2m -> Aune S6 Pro -> 2 x Monoprice Premier 1.8m 16AWG 3-pin XLR -> Monoprice Monolith THX AAA 887 -> 4-pin XLR na 2 x 3.5mm 16 cores OCC 2m Cable -> HiFiMAN Edition XS -> sheepskin pads + 4-pin XLR na 2 x 2.5mm ABLET silver 2m  Cable -> Monoprice Monolith M1060 + Brainwavz HM100 -> Brainwavz sheepskin oval pads + Wooden double Ɪ Stand + Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK -> sheepskin pads + Multibrackets MB1893 + Sennheiser Momentum 3 +  Philips Fidelio X2HR/00 + JBL J88 White
MIC :  Tonor TC30 -> Mozos SB38
KEYBOARD : Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent (EU) + Glorious PC Gaming Race Stealth Slim - Full Size Black + PQI MyLockey
MOUSE :  Logitech MX ERGO + 2 x Logitech MX Performance + Logitech G Pro wireless + Logitech G Pro Gaming -> Hotline Games 2.0 Plus + Corsair MM500 3xl + Corsair MM300 Extended + Razer goliathus control
CONTROLLERS :  Microsoft xbox series x controller pc (1VA-00002) -> brainwavz audio Controller Holder UGC2 + Microsoft xbox 360 wireless black + Ravcore Javelin
NET :  Intel x520-DA2 -> 2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT + 2 x ASUS ZenWiFi Pro XT12
NAS :  Qnap TS-932X-2G -> Noctua NF-P14s redux 1200 PWM -> Kingston 16GB 2400Mhz CL14 (HX424S14IB/16) -> 9 x Crucial MX500 2TB ->  2 x FTLX8571D3BCV-IT -> 2 x Digitus (DK-HD2533-05/3)

2 hours ago, kokosnh said:

We usually see 870 evo  2TB and 4TB from the older ones, with failed NAND, every month or so ( it’s less now days ). 
And yes, they just die, no firmware update can fix that. 

4 hours ago, Hinjima said:

They are safe.  There should be a firmware update for the SSD's made before November 2022 that fixes the issues as well.

Here are 2 conflicting statements.

One saying a firmware update for the pre Nov 2022 (done directly after installing it I presume) will avoid the issues.

The other saying a firmware update wouldn't help, perhaps it's more of a hardware defect during manufacturing?

The small note from Samsung *The 870 EVO model will be manufactured with a revised V6 process starting November 2022 that they wrote seem to be a change in how they actually are manufactured, and the problem with the earlier 870s was more of a hardware defect. But I don't know, their note is abit cryptic...

29 minutes ago, Mumintroll said:

Here are 2 conflicting statements.

One saying a firmware update for the pre Nov 2022 (done directly after installing it I presume) will avoid the issues.

The other saying a firmware update wouldn't help, perhaps it's more of a hardware defect during manufacturing?

From what I'm aware of: Samsung drives that are NOT the 870 Evo, e.g. 970 Evo Plus (the updated 2nd revision, not the original), 980 Pro and 990 have all had issues with degradation that can be resolved with a firmware update.

The 870 Evo, it is not clear, but we can say:

1. The firmware update (from 01, to 02) does not fix any existing damage to the drive.
  2. There are drives that have died, even though the firmware was updated to 02, though we don't know why (e.g. were the issues just too severe prior to the firmware update?).
  3. There are drives that were updated to the 02 firmware that have survived and appear to have produced no more ECC errors or bad blocks.
  4. Newly manufactured drives use an updated firmware version: 03, which can't be applied to the older drives.
37 minutes ago, Mumintroll said:

The small note from Samsung *The 870 EVO model will be manufactured with a revised V6 process starting November 2022 that they wrote seem to be a change in how they actually are manufactured, and the problem with the earlier 870s was more of a hardware defect. But I don't know, their note is abit cryptic...

So far as I know, Samsung have never made any official statement or comment on the issues with the 870 Evo, only the firmware problems that applied to almost all their drives.

This statement about the manufacturing process, I believe is primarily relevant to the new revision and the new firmware and not an indirect statement by Samsung about any issues with the drive. This is similar to other products, where a major change in an existing line is mentioned, but it is not a: "hey, if you were worried they're all broken, they're not now!".

It is possible there were actually 2 issues with the 870 Evo and one was a bad firmware and one was a bad NAND.

It is maybe worth noting though, that Magician never indicated that the firmware update was critical, it just informed you an update was available, the same way it does for any other drive.

I've seen Samsung acknowledge with RMAs that they are aware of issues with the 870 Evo and there was one comment from CS that bad firmware was responsible, but I don't consider informal responses to customers as an official recognition and I'd be surprised if CS were meaningfully informed of any manufacturing issues.

29 minutes ago, Tetras said:

From what I'm aware of: Samsung drives that are NOT the 870 Evo, e.g. 970 Evo Plus (the updated 2nd revision, not the original), 980 Pro and 990 have all had issues with degradation that can be resolved with a firmware update.

The 870 Evo, it is not clear, but we can say:

1. The firmware update (from 01, to 02) does not fix any existing damage to the drive.
  2. There are drives that have died, even though the firmware was updated to 02, though we don't know why (e.g. were the issues just too severe prior to the firmware update?).
  3. There are drives that were updated to the 02 firmware that have survived and appear to have produced no more ECC errors or bad blocks.
  4. Newly manufactured drives use an updated firmware version: 03, which can't be applied to the older drives.

So far as I know, Samsung have never made any official statement or comment on the issues with the 870 Evo, only the firmware problems that applied to almost all their drives.

This statement about the manufacturing process, I believe is primarily relevant to the new revision and the new firmware and not an indirect statement by Samsung about any issues with the drive. This is similar to other products, where a major change in an existing line is mentioned, but it is not a: "hey, if you were worried they're all broken, they're not now!".

It is possible there were actually 2 issues with the 870 Evo and one was a bad firmware and one was a bad NAND.

It is maybe worth noting though, that Magician never indicated that the firmware update was critical, it just informed you an update was available, the same way it does for any other drive.

I've seen Samsung acknowledge with RMAs that they are aware of issues with the 870 Evo and there was one comment from CS that bad firmware was responsible, but I don't consider informal responses to customers as an official recognition and I'd be surprised if CS were meaningfully informed of any manufacturing issues.

This post is very informative, thank you!

I've also read some obscure lines from other forum threads (don't remember from where) that some are manufactured from South Korea and some from China. Which country did the old 870s and which one did the new ones I don't know.

I'm currently looking to get a 870 4tb. But just to be safe I've contacted the support from the store I want to buy from asking them if they know the manufacturing date of those they have in stock. Who knows how long it could have been laying on a shelf?

21 hours ago, Mumintroll said:

.... should have expected Samsung to just deny everything when asked.

SamsungSupport deny 870 EVO problems.jpg

@Tetras mentioned that Samsung has never made any official statement. You really expect them to tell you, a regular joe shmoe, anything?