cat6a parallel to power lines uk

jmatt

I'm having my house rewired and looking to add ethernet run to every room, it's costing a fortune to have the place rewired as it is without having the ethernet cables.

I've tried to look around and people mostly ask if the cables could be near a power line for a short section, but often they're looking to lay UTP cables.

Could I run S/FTP in the same chase parallel and more or less next to/top of the power cables, bearing in mind power cables in the UK are 240v. Would the S/FTP be able to handle being so close with minimal impact on the cable and data?

Sadly i couldn't find any videos of anyone performing a test to see how long and close a cable could be next to power before you start to see issues. 

But also whilst i'm here. Regardless if i can run the ethernet parallel to the power cables, i'm looking to have some devices powered with POE++, would any cat6a cable be able to handle this or would it be better to opt for cables that are better than UTP, such as U/FTP or better. 

42 minutes ago, jmatt said:

I'm having my house rewired and looking to add ethernet run to every room, it's costing a fortune to have the place rewired as it is without having the ethernet cables.

I've tried to look around and people mostly ask if the cables could be near a power line for a short section, but often they're looking to lay UTP cables.

Could I run S/FTP in the same chase parallel and more or less next to/top of the power cables, bearing in mind power cables in the UK are 240v. Would the S/FTP be able to handle being so close with minimal impact on the cable and data?

Sadly i couldn't find any videos of anyone performing a test to see how long and close a cable could be next to power before you start to see issues. 

But also whilst i'm here. Regardless if i can run the ethernet parallel to the power cables, i'm looking to have some devices powered with POE++, would any cat6a cable be able to handle this or would it be better to opt for cables that are better than UTP, such as U/FTP or better. 

The cables would need to be grounded at one end, so it would depend on the switch connected.  Definitely wouldn't use UTP if they are close to AC cabling as that's kinda the point of STP.

Either way its not ideal.  In commercial deployments they usually have two cable channels, one for AC and one for data cabling, so that while parallel it keeps them a distance apart from each other.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

@jmatt

I'd go with whatever a local certified electrician would do. Make sure it passes standards set in your country. You don't want an accident to happen later on and your insurance doesn't cover it because things weren't up to code.

DIY is fine if you're staying away from high-voltage wires. BTW, should you have any other conduit for coax or even central ventilation, those can be used instead.

Also, keep in mind that the more insulation you add to ethernet cables, the less tolerant they are to flexion. That's aside from their added bulk and weight which might be of concern if running in conduit with limited space.

I have done lots of network runs for work. I would say you will have more problems with accessible cables than you would have with data transmissions being affected by power if you use S/FTP. The shielded makes a difference.
At home I have network cables cable tied next to the power cable for my PC and dont notice any difference whatsoever.