Windows not working on MacBook Air 2014

HowTosYT

I genuinely need help because my 2014 MacBook Air is making me insane. Windows 10 setup does install but on first boot freezes(loading wheel too) on getting ready and when force restarted says "windows was not fully installed. please reboot and repair this PC". I burned the Image to a 32GB USB-Stick with rufus and its a windows 10 21h2 Image. I also tried windows 7 and XP(just for good measure) both not booting at all and windows 11 setup booting but then getting stuck on a black screen with the text "Setup is starting." with no USB disk activity. Ive also tried installing ubuntu Studio, which worked. Please help me out, Thanks!

Why are you using rufus? Just use a standard W10 ISO and let boot camp assistant do everything.

8 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

Why are you using rufus? Just use a standard W10 ISO and let boot camp assistant do everything.

i am not in the mood to reinstall macOS just to delete it again

9 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

FUCK YEAH WINDOWS 11 INSTALLED NOW PRAY THAT IT DOESNT DO THE SAME AS 10

9 minutes ago, seanondemand said:

Also, ive tried BootCamp in the past it didnt help

Okay I am not here to provide solutions but you can install Windows ON A MAC??? Sure I know its like very hard right now because of Apple silicon, and before when they used Intel chips, it was possible, but I thought not through a straight way. I thought their firmware won't allow anything other than MacOS. So, what's the point of a Hackintosh anyway? I am confused!

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

1 minute ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Okay I am not here to provide solutions but you can install Windows ON A MAC??? Sure I know its like very hard right now because of Apple silicon, and before when they used Intel chips, it was possible, but I thought not through a straight way. I thought their firmware won't allow anything other than MacOS. So, what's the point of a Hackintosh anyway? I am confused!

2014 MBA is Intel. And no Apple actually encourages dualbooting windows and macOS with the preloading of BootCamp Assistant

18 minutes ago, HowTosYT said:

I genuinely need help because my 2014 MacBook Air is making me insane. Windows 10 setup does install but on first boot freezes(loading wheel too) on getting ready and when force restarted says "windows was not fully installed. please reboot and repair this PC". I burned the Image to a 32GB USB-Stick with rufus and its a windows 10 21h2 Image. I also tried windows 7 and XP(just for good measure) both not booting at all and windows 11 setup booting but then getting stuck on a black screen with the text "Setup is starting." with no USB disk activity. Ive also tried installing ubuntu Studio, which worked. Please help me out, Thanks!

This is how windows 10 AND 11 Freeze. The loading icon isnt spinning.

IMG_2242.jpeg

11 minutes ago, HowTosYT said:

i am not in the mood to reinstall macOS just to delete it again

Macs pretty much always have a couple of custom Apple components Windows won't have drivers for, Bootcamp Assistant injects the drivers into the Windows installer before launching it for things to work. You'll most likely have to go through it.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

9 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

So, what's the point of a Hackintosh anyway?

Hackintosh is the opposite, running Mac OS without having to buy Apple hardware.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

Just now, Kilrah said:

Macs pretty much always have a couple of custom Apple components Windows won't have drivers for, Bootcamp Assistant injects the drivers into the Windows installer before launching it. You'll most likely have to go through it.

I had already tried this EXACT ISO copied from my main Windows machine to my macs desktop then burnt it onto a flash drive with BCA and it froze at the exact same time.

Then try different versions. Just had an old machine I had to use 1803 for it to install correctly. BCA still may or may not be required.

F@H

GPD Win 2

1 minute ago, Kilrah said:

Then try different versions. Just had an old machine I had to use 1803 for it to install correctly. BCA still may or may not be required.

tried 1507 didnt even recognise it as bootable even tho i flashed it to the USB like i did with 10 21h2

2 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

do you think i should let it sit with the frozen loading wheel or shut it down cause caps lock isn’t turning on anymore.

Would maybe wait half an hour at most, no point beyond that.

F@H

GPD Win 2

7 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

yeah no its done nothing im going ro try 1603 now

I don't understand why people keep using Rufus to burn Windows ISOs to USB when all the user needs is the vanilla installer. It makes no sense and just causes issues.

25 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

1603 isnt even showing up as a bootable drive. Im using internet recovery now and the going to try 10 latest with bca and will report back

9 hours ago, whispous said:

I don't understand why people keep using Rufus to burn Windows ISOs to USB when all the user needs is the vanilla installer. It makes no sense and just causes issues.

Wdym?

9 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Didn’t work with BootCamp Assistant. It, again, froze at getting ready and did not move while I was asleep.

3 hours ago, HowTosYT said:

Wdym?

Well, where did you get the ISO from?

7 hours ago, whispous said:

Well, where did you get the ISO from?

Downloaded it from the official Microsoft website and burnt it to USB once with Rufus and once with Boot Camp. Both freezing the loading wheel on first boot about 10 or 15 minutes into the getting ready part on bootup.

6 minutes ago, HowTosYT said:

Downloaded it from the official Microsoft website and burnt it to USB once with Rufus and once with Boot Camp. Both freezing the loading wheel on first boot about 10 or 15 minutes into the getting ready part on bootup.

Why did you use Rufus? The tool you downloaded the ISO with also offers to burn it to a USB stick

1 hour ago, whispous said:

Why did you use Rufus? The tool you downloaded the ISO with also offers to burn it to a USB stick

because it sucks and for aome reason mct never works on my pc

1 hour ago, HowTosYT said:

because it sucks and for aome reason mct never works on my pc

It doesn't suck, it's worked every single time I've used it over maybe a hundred installs. It fails when someone is trying to do something weird.