CPU temperature Spiking

Hello, I have been having issues regarding my CPU temperature spiking. It is something that (obviously) should not be happening, as I have water cooling, sufficient fans and thermal paste.

I had really bad temp issues about 5 months ago, and I figured out my fan layout was incorrect and needed new thermal paste. I did this and the issue was now been fixed. However the problem has crept up again however its slightly different.

When I turn on my PC for the first time, the issues show. Temperatures reach ~100oC (at its worst, so playing games) and back down again to ~70oC. The spiking pattern is concerning me as I'm pretty sure it was a more steady figure 5 months ago. I don't think its a sensor issue as my computer does suffer a lot while happening, it runs painfully slow. Maybe my CPU was damaged from the previous incidents, heck could be some weird bitcoin mining virus that works in short bursts to stay hidden. (I think I have shown plenty here that my computer knowledge is very limited). A handful of the times the PC has turned itself off due to this issue, particularly if I am watch YT.

As a temporary fix, I currently turn off my PC, leave it for 10 mins and come back. After that, the temperature is still high-ish like 70oC-80oC range, but manageable enough to play with my friends

I use a AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU

Obviously I would prefer not to replace it, as I am not made of money but if I am to, I would love to get some suggestions in £100 range

Many thanks for reading

Henry aka Progue

image.png

Not normal for sure, your cooling is defective, under any decent AIO 240+ a 3600 should boot at 60C, idle at 40C and game at max 70C...

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Welcome to the forums!
I'd suspect a bad paste job. Pull the cooler, take a pic of the paste that's there, clean the old paste, apply new paste, tighten appropriately.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup