Is this GPU dead?

so a little while ago my cousin was gifted a gpu. a chinese rx 580 to be exact after a little while he told me that he's pc was misbehaving and BSOD a lot so when i went to take a look at it, i noticed it may be the gpu so i told him i was going to take it to check it out and inspect it. when i got it home i opened it up cuz i thought it might've been maybe overheating due to old thermal paste, to my surprise it had thermal paste but all the thermal pads were gone so i ordered new ones and after installing them nothing. no post screen, no beep nothing. so how do i know if its dead or im missing something i havent checked?

4 minutes ago, Hendricks3 said:

so a little while ago my cousin was gifted a gpu. a chinese rx 580 to be exact after a little while he told me that he's pc was misbehaving and BSOD a lot so when i went to take a look at it, i noticed it may be the gpu so i told him i was going to take it to check it out and inspect it. when i got it home i opened it up cuz i thought it might've been maybe overheating due to old thermal paste, to my surprise it had thermal paste but all the thermal pads were gone so i ordered new ones and after installing them nothing. no post screen, no beep nothing. so how do i know if its dead or im missing something i havent checked?

If you have another known working GPU or if you can borrow one from a friend, install it in your cousin's PC to see if the issues persist. If the issues are gone, then it's likely that the RX 580 is the culprit.

Install the RX 580 in a known working PC to see if it causes the same issues. If the problems occur in the other PC as well, then the GPU is most likely the problem.

1 hour ago, Blazepoint5 said:

If you have another known working GPU or if you can borrow one from a friend, install it in your cousin's PC to see if the issues persist. If the issues are gone, then it's likely that the RX 580 is the culprit.

Install the RX 580 in a known working PC to see if it causes the same issues. If the problems occur in the other PC as well, then the GPU is most likely the problem.

I tried it both ways and the only thing is that the pc where the 580 is on wont display a signal

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Hendricks3 said:

no beep nothing

I believe a pc with a dead gpu would still beep. Isn't that the purpose of the beep ?

So you tried it in 2 otherwise working pc ?

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

8 hours ago, leclod said:

I believe a pc with a dead gpu would still beep. Isn't that the purpose of the beep ?

So you tried it in 2 otherwise working pc ?

Yea nothing it seems like it boots into windows but i get no display output

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Hendricks3 said:

Yea nothing it seems like it boots into windows but i get no display output

I always get some beep, 1 short beep is my "good to go"

Do you have an igpu you could try, on your cpu ?

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.

21 hours ago, Hendricks3 said:

I tried it both ways and the only thing is that the pc where the 580 is on wont display a signal

No output

Does the fans spin? 

Boot with intergreated graphics and go to bios and see if the gpu is showing.

On 3/2/2024 at 12:09 AM, Blazepoint5 said:

No output

Does the fans spin? 

Boot with intergreated graphics and go to bios and see if the gpu is showing.

Fans spin no output and i dont have a cpu with integrated gpu to test