Help me verify my mid-range gaming rig choices!

Budget (including currency): 1,30,000 - 1,50,000 ₹INR (Approx. 1,500-1,800 $US)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mostly for Triple-A Games with some casual Valorant with friends

Other details

I have a laptop and want to move to something more powerful. I have most of the peripherals except a good monitor (ideally 1440p 27"/34" 144Hz/165Hz). I only have Wi-Fi. I'm looking for a point to start from and a decent upgrade path. I'll buy this around June of this year for my birthday. I'm lucky to have an area known for getting electronic goods for a decent price where I live so I'll buy from there for sure. The below parts are about the standard I'm looking for. I'm currently a little over budget. Anything I'm overpaying for? Any suggestions?

image.png.43bdfc299d0dba7d79a7d615316e8579.pngimage.png.3130220014dfeaf825eb032023495e77.png

DDR4 RAM does not work with the CPU and motherboard you've picked. You need DDR5 RAM.

6000MHz DDR5 is the sweet spot for 7000 series Ryzen CPUs. Preferably DDR5 RAM with EXPO.

You may also want to consider the non-X CPUs like Ryzen 7 7700 or Ryzen 5 7600 as they tend to be cheaper and not really worse than the X-parts. Considering the DDR5 costs quite a bit more you may need to drop down to Ryzen 5 7600 to stay within budget.

Getting an AIO for a 7700X is a waste of money, get a cheap tower cooler instead.

Also, if your looking to play graphically demanding titles you should above the 4060 Ti (especially the 8GB model).

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

53 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Getting an AIO for a 7700X is a waste of money, get a cheap tower cooler instead.

Also, if your looking to play graphically demanding titles you should above the 4060 Ti (especially the 8GB model).

Alright, I hear you.
How about getting something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo Black instead? It has 4 heat pipes and is aluminium.
image.png.547184629162290e2d7024bb76e4785b.png These are some of the details

And on the GPU part I really wish I could go for something bigger but this is all my budget allows for so I have to make do. I heard 4060Ti is decent at 1440p gaming so I opted to go with that. Ideally I would've pushed for the 4070Ti or the 4070Ti Super but they went a little too over budget.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

DDR4 RAM does not work with the CPU and motherboard you've picked. You need DDR5 RAM.

6000MHz DDR5 is the sweet spot for 7000 series Ryzen CPUs. Preferably DDR5 RAM with EXPO.

You may also want to consider the non-X CPUs like Ryzen 7 7700 or Ryzen 5 7600 as they tend to be cheaper and not really worse than the X-parts. Considering the DDR5 costs quite a bit more you may need to drop down to Ryzen 5 7600 to stay within budget.

Noted. I'll bump up the RAM spec. Vengeance® 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL36 Memory Kit is the one I've gone with. Couldn't really find one with EXPO tho. And for the CPU downgrade I kinda don't want to do that because it may not be that upgrade-able in the future so I think I'd rather just take the hit on the RAM than bump down the processor. And the difference in price wasn't enough to give it a serious thought as it was only around 3,000 ₹INR or 36 $US

21 minutes ago, kapikap0906 said:

Alright, I hear you.
How about getting something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Halo Black instead? It has 4 heat pipes and is aluminium.
image.png.547184629162290e2d7024bb76e4785b.png These are some of the details

And on the GPU part I really wish I could go for something bigger but this is all my budget allows for so I have to make do. I heard 4060Ti is decent at 1440p gaming so I opted to go with that. Ideally I would've pushed for the 4070Ti or the 4070Ti Super but they went a little too over budget.

What games are you planning to play?

If they are very GPU intensive you might be better off going for an older CPU (5000 series) to get a better GPU and better performance overall.

(The 4060 Ti 8GB is not good for 1440p gaming)

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

8 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

What games are you planning to play?

If they are very GPU intensive you might be better off going for an older CPU (5000 series) to get a better GPU and better performance overall.

(The 4060 Ti 8GB is not good for 1440p gaming)

The games I play aren't that too new so that's why I'm willing to risk it. The most intensive games I have right in my library are Hitman III, GTA V, Battlefield V, Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, Witcher 3. But I'd like to play RDR2 as well. And obviously would like to be able to play GTA VI whenever that comes out even if I get 30FPS.

What about moving to Ryzen 7 5700X 3D and maybe reaching for that 4070?

1 minute ago, kapikap0906 said:

The games I play aren't that too new so that's why I'm willing to risk it. The most intensive games I have right in my library are Hitman III, GTA V, Battlefield V, Arkham Knight, Fallout 4, Witcher 3. But I'd like to play RDR2 as well. And obviously would like to be able to play GTA VI whenever that comes out even if I get 30FPS.

What about moving to Ryzen 7 5700X 3D and maybe reaching for that 4070?

yeah, that seems alot better, cause a 4070 or a RX7800XT would be a huge upgrade over a 4060 Ti 8GB.

remember you need to swap to a B550 motherboard and DDR4 ram to make this change.

He/Him

If anyone is interested in the current build after all the recommendations are taken from here and other sources then they can follow the amazon list I'm using to keep a track of the components 

https://www.amazon.in/hz/wishlist/ls/ULTZ2696O6JO?ref_=wl_share

I've currently dropped the CPU down to the Ryzen 7 5800X3D and bumped up the GPU to the RX7800XT since price is around the same and CPU performance difference is negligible and sometimes even outperformed by the 5800X3D and the 7800XT seems to compete neck to neck with the 4070 while being cheaper.