Build a server or buy one ? a question for 1 million dollars

hello guys , iv been working around servers for a year or 2 now and im super impressed by what you can do with such machines . used vps's and local servers , even fixed one with 2 Xeon E5... cpus and sold it . but now the true question is i want to get one at home for my self for hosting websites and hosting game servers mainly minecraft for around 100 players for fun and mostly learning ... so is it better if i just build a normal computer with decent specs and use it as a server or is it better to get a real server ? also if anyone got anything that can explain how to securely connect a server to the internet and have it working in a secured way like the ones i rent from hosting companies i would be super happy with that too ❤️ 

ps : one last question i found this one https://www.mytek.tn/serveur-hp-proliant-dl160-gen10-xeon-silver-4208-16go-p19561-b21.html that has 2 cpu slots but on the details they say there is only one cpu . whats the deal with that ? i can add a XEON cpu whenever i want to ? or is the other socket disabled in someway ?

Your probably better off with a desktop part based system for home server use. Less power + noise, and faster as a minecraft server.

Do you have a budget in mine? Maybe get something like a 7900x?

For that linked server you can add an additional CPU of the same model, but you likely need anouther heatsink and ram too.

I don't know HP Proliant as well as I know Dell PowerEdge, but I believe the DL160 Gen10 is a two-socket machine.

Is your home Internet connection fast and reliable enough to handle all that? You might be better off colocating the server at a datacenter.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your probably better off with a desktop part based system for home server use. Less power + noise, and faster as a minecraft server.

Do you have a budget in mine? Maybe get something like a 7900x?

For that linked server you can add an additional CPU of the same model, but you likely need anouther heatsink and ram too.

thank you so much for your advices . cant be greatful enough for your interest in my problem ! ❤️

i will take your words for a base to start with , and budget isnt rly a problem here . its more about knowing what path to take ❤️

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

I don't know HP Proliant as well as I know Dell PowerEdge, but I believe the DL160 Gen10 is a two-socket machine.

Is your home Internet connection fast and reliable enough to handle all that? You might be better off colocating the server at a datacenter.

image.png.6cf791801a7ae8b8a3fb8e2e26b3a87c.png

this is my internet speed test . You might be better off colocating the server at a datacenter ? it is possible to put my own server in a data center ? 

13 minutes ago, Gortyy said:

You might be better off colocating the server at a datacenter ? it is possible to put my own server in a data center ? 

Yes, you can rent physical space in a datacenter. You pay by the rack unit (amount of vertical space your server takes in the rack) and by how much electricity and bandwidth you need. If you're doing a lot with it, or you need lots of memory and/or storage space, it can be cost effective compared to renting a virtual private server.

Your Internet connection is too slow to host any public services to the Internet. (Definitely not a 100 player Minecraft server, unless you invite them all over to your house.) You can run small services for yourself, though!

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Yes, you can rent physical space in a datacenter. You pay by the rack unit (amount of vertical space your server takes in the rack) and by how much electricity and bandwidth you need. If you're doing a lot with it, or you need lots of memory and/or storage space, it can be cost effective compared to renting a virtual private server.

Your Internet connection is too slow to host any public services to the Internet. (Definitely not a 100 player Minecraft server, unless you invite them all over to your house.) You can run small services for yourself, though!

xD imagine 100 minecraft players at my house hahahaha . but more seriously you solved my problem i found a datacenter in my country that does housing ima dig this way thank you very much for your help dude  ❤️ much appreciated ❤️ 

On 2/25/2024 at 12:40 AM, Gortyy said:

ps : one last question i found this one https://www.mytek.tn/serveur-hp-proliant-dl160-gen10-xeon-silver-4208-16go-p19561-b21.html that has 2 cpu slots but on the details they say there is only one cpu . whats the deal with that ? i can add a XEON cpu whenever i want to ? or is the other socket disabled in someway ?

you can add another xeon processor with the same model. we use DL360, DL60 and DL380 at my work. since we host a lot of database and application server we opt for two CPU's and lot's of ram. I even got mistake for purchasing expensive HPE rams that are not compatible for the exact server so read the PDF manual or on HPE site if you are trying to get one.

Potato: Intel i5-8400 | XFX RX580 8GB | 2X8GB DDR4 2666MHZ HyperX | Asus ex-H310M | Kingston 120GB SSD | SEAGATE 2TB HDD | Corsair VS450 GRAY 450watts.
2D MMORPG Games Since 2006.