Cellular On PC (Windows)

So, I have a little question.

recently, I tried using a Cellular card on my ThinkPad laptop. it works really great actually, but there's one thing that sticks in my mind.
is there any way to send SMS directly via my laptop? I mean, I have my cellular card inside it, and I also have the 4g gsm (or whatever it's called) module. I just can't find any way to send SMS directly from my laptop. the only useful app that I found is MS Operator Messages, but it only allows you to see your one-way SMS from your Cellular Provider. So, yeah. If any of you know something, pls tell me.

FYI, I'm using a Lenovo ThinkPad T490S, and I live in Indonesia.

29 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

That is a data only SIM. It won't make calls or send SMS directly.

If you have a cell phone there are ways to have the calls and texts synced to your PC.

I mean, I do have a cell phone, but it's impossible to use the SIM card (that's inside my laptop) on my phone.
and btw, what's the difference between a data-only SIM and a normal SIM? when I insert my SIM (the one inside my laptop rn) I can use it to send texts and make phone calls. 

19 hours ago, cornexiors said:

I mean, I do have a cell phone, but it's impossible to use the SIM card (that's inside my laptop) on my phone.
and btw, what's the difference between a data-only SIM and a normal SIM? when I insert my SIM (the one inside my laptop rn) I can use it to send texts and make phone calls. 

I think they meant the chip inside laptop is data only. Otherwise your provider is the one that decides what kind of plan your number/SIM has.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/25/2024 at 7:03 PM, LogicalDrm said:

I think they meant the chip inside laptop is data only. Otherwise your provider is the one that decides what kind of plan your number/SIM has.

oh, thanks for telling me that.
after searching for a while, I found a few people using the same chip as mine to send and receive SMS. The difference is, that they're using Linux and via terminal command line.
I mean, I could just used Linux if this laptop is only for me and my activity, but it isn't.
So, do you know how to do it in windows?
(note: the chip name is FiboCom L850-GL)

1 minute ago, cornexiors said:

oh, thanks for telling me that.
after searching for a while, I found a few people using the same chip as mine to send and receive SMS. The difference is, that they're using Linux and via terminal command line.
I mean, I could just used Linux if this laptop is only for me and my activity, but it isn't.
So, do you know how to do it in windows?
(note: the chip name is FiboCom L850-GL)

oh, and one more thing.

from some website, i found that this chip don't support any cellular voice(can't call). but it does support SMS

2 hours ago, cornexiors said:

oh, and one more thing.

from some website, i found that this chip don't support any cellular voice(can't call). but it does support SMS

You could try with Linux subsystem if you are on Win11. I also googled a bit and noticed that SO MANY PEOPLE just reply without reading/thinking through. Like so many replies about getting separated dongle when this same question is asked.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 2/26/2024 at 9:45 PM, LogicalDrm said:

You could try with Linux subsystem if you are on Win11. I also googled a bit and noticed that SO MANY PEOPLE just reply without reading/thinking through. Like so many replies about getting separated dongle when this same question is asked.

do you mean by dual booting?

On 2/26/2024 at 9:45 PM, LogicalDrm said:

Is there's any way to do it natively on Windows?
my main work environment is on Windows, and my partners can't use Linux.

1 hour ago, cornexiors said:

Is there's any way to do it natively on Windows?
my main work environment is on Windows, and my partners can't use Linux.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/about

That's pretty much all I can help you with.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv