Time for a new laptop, but I need some help

Killoginet

I am in the market for a laptop.

I have been looking around and the G750JM from Asus, it looks like a good value.

Any other suggestions?

I'll be using this mainly for Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD.

Also some light photoshop use.

I'm looking in the gaming market because of budget and there isn't that much of a difference in performance for the things I do.

My budget is around $1,500 USD.

I am in the market for a laptop.

I have been looking around and the G750JM from Asus, it looks like a good value.

Any other suggestions?

I'll be using this mainly for Autodesk Inventor and AutoCAD.

Also some light photoshop use.

I'm looking in the gaming market because of budget and there isn't that much of a difference in performance for the things I do.

My budget is around $1,500 USD.

Are you going to be on the go? Anything else you going to do on it? Gaming if any? I see AutoCAD and such so do you need it more portable or is it going to sit at a desk?

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Laptop: MSI GT60 = -Intel Core i7 4700MQ-MSI GTX 770M-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700

I'll be on the go with it a lot.

To and from the local makerspace and the robotics team I mentor.

I'll also take it with me on business trips.

I'll mainly use it for Inventor and Creo Parametric 2.

Possibly some light rendering in Keyshot.(only uses CPU)

Also light gaming. Indie style games.

Are you going to be on the go? Anything else you going to do on it? Gaming if any? I see AutoCAD and such so do you need it more portable or is it going to sit at a desk?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152566

Slim and good for on the go. Nice keyboard and good GPU with CPU. 15 inch should make it easy to travel with. Its 100$ more but this thing is lighter and more mobile then ANY other good grade laptop. All other more slim gaming laptops are VERY expensive. MSI makes a good deal out of this one! BTW the GTX 860M is a very strong GPU! 

Main Rig: White Lightning  = -Intel Core i7 3770 (4.1Ghz)-Zalman CNPS12X-MSI Z77A-G45-16GB G2 Patriot-MSI GTX 660TI OC PE-Corsair 650W-Corsair 600t White-

Peripherals: Corsair K90-Corsair M90- Corsair 2100-CM Storm Quickfire TK (Green Switch)-Logitech G700

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152566

Slim and good for on the go. Nice keyboard and good GPU with CPU. 15 inch should make it easy to travel with. Its 100$ more but this thing is lighter and more mobile then ANY other good grade laptop. All other more slim gaming laptops are VERY expensive. MSI makes a good deal out of this one! BTW the GTX 860M is a very strong GPU! 

When did he ever request "slim"? He's looking for productivity and portability, not vanity. I doubt he is handicapped and can't lift a gaming laptop. He did say he was looking at an ASUS full-size laptop.

Games?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834198046&ignorebbr=1

Work? (RAM)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152585

Work? (CPU)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313690

When did he ever request "slim"? He's looking for productivity and portability, not vanity. I doubt he is handicapped and can't lift a gaming laptop. He did say he was looking at an ASUS full-size laptop.

Games?

Work? (RAM)

Work? (CPU)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313

From the Quote up above. He will be traveling, to and from a local market place, and business trip. Its best to lighten that load by giving him a more slim line laptop. My girlfriend has a Asus ROG gaming laptop that is 17 inches and let me tell you, its heavy.  

get a metal ultrabook and then put windows 7 on it.

Haha nice one. That is a creative way of preventing Apple hate...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

From the Quote up above. He will be traveling, to and from a local market place, and business trip. Its best to lighten that load by giving him a more slim line laptop. My girlfriend has a Asus ROG gaming laptop that is 17 inches and let me tell you, its heavy.  

He's not your girlfriend. And "thin & light"s are horrible for durability. He wants to and will be traveling a lot. He expressed want for a fullsized(plus sized?) laptop, meaning he is willing to carry it around.

Some people on this earth have the strength and will to carry a fullsize laptop if it means better specs or build quality. "Thin" and "Light" are two of the most expensive non-features on a laptop. Unless you have a physical handicap, haven't hit puberty or vanity is a concern.

Question to OP,

What screen size 15,6 or 17+ inch?

He's not your girlfriend. And "thin & light"s are horrible for durability. He wants to and will be traveling a lot. He expressed want for a fullsized(plus sized?) laptop, meaning he is willing to carry it around.

Some people on this earth have the strength and will to carry a fullsize laptop if it means better specs or build quality. "Thin" and "Light" are two of the most expensive non-features on a laptop. Unless you have a physical handicap, haven't hit puberty or vanity is a concern.

And that's a problem to what lighter things, especially while on the go? I'm sorry but that's very confusing, and a very, very, very bad argument. First people take care of laptops that expensive, secondarily the ASUS laptops are more or less is a desktop replacement, it does not have integrated GPU so off the wall means slow performance from ANYTHING. The ASUS laptops need a plug to be at max performance and never the less having a slim line laptop is a huge benefactor. Also is that trying to be insulting?

Look if I was going to get one of my teachers, family or friends a laptop when they travel a lot and want to game I would highly prefer them to get a slim line gaming laptop. The mentioning of heavy while traveling sucks, my step father is a marine and when he went to boot camp and out to war he had to carry all of his equipment which was around 150+ pounds on him. He hated it, and it gave him massive back problems. Same goes with carrying a lot of things. When I asked LTTF about which laptop I should get a GT60 or GT70 I was told due to less weight. Trust me, not everyone wants to carry a giant laptop that can not fit in a lot of bags, (My GF had to go backpack shopping just to be able to transport the ASUS laptop.) 

Another example. 

Someone is going onto a plane ride. Are they going to take a tablet or a heavy plastic laptop? There most likely taking the tablet. Why? They want to have the portability.

Argument invalid.  

And that's a problem to what lighter things, especially while on the go?

Lighter laptops suffer from build quality issues. They aren't meant for serious use on the go, they are light and "portable", but not actually built to be carried around robotics events and such.

First people take care of laptops that expensive

He wants a tool to use, not something he has to treat like a child.

the ASUS laptops are more or less is a desktop replacement, it does not have integrated GPU so off the wall means slow performance from ANYTHING. The ASUS laptops need a plug to be at max performance

None of my suggested laptops were ASUS. And the ones I recommended with dedicated cards were ones with Quadro cards, which I'm not sure come in "integrated" variants.

Also is that trying to be insulting?

If you're a full-grown adult and have trouble carrying more than a thin&light, you should consult a doctor.

Look if I was going to get one of my teachers, family or friends a laptop when they travel a lot and want to game I would highly prefer them to get a slim line gaming laptop.

There is a difference between "traveling a lot" and using a laptop while mobile or on the job.

The mentioning of heavy while traveling sucks, my step father is a marine and when he went to boot camp and out to war he had to carry all of his equipment which was around 150+ pounds on him. He hated it, and it gave him massive back problems.

Good for him, he did something few of us would choose to do, but carrying 150+ pounds is not the same as carrying under 20 pounds. Also, in the future, do not use someone else's service to their country as an argument. Or at the very least, make it relevant.

When I asked LTTF about which laptop I should get a GT60 or GT70 I was told due to less weight.

That's you. And you've shown a preference towards thin & lights, so that would be a good suggestion for you.

Trust me, not everyone wants to carry a giant laptop that can not fit in a lot of bags, (My GF had to go backpack shopping just to be able to transport the ASUS laptop.) 

"Not everyone"? Wouldn't that imply that most people do? Also, he's not your girlfriend. Or is he?

Someone is going onto a plane ride. Are they going to take a tablet or a heavy plastic laptop? There most likely taking the tablet. Why? They want to have the portability.

He never mentioned going on plane rides. And did you just imply he'd be better off using a tablet when he said his main usage would be AutoCAD?

From what I understand, the newer MSI laptops have better build quality than their first go around with them. This makes them an option.

However, those quadro laptops are more than enough for everything that the OP is asking for. And most indie games should be able to run off of integrated, so the quadro does well there as well, while making a MARVELOUS compute card.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

From what I understand, the newer MSI laptops have better build quality than their first go around with them. This makes them an option.

However, those quadro laptops are more than enough for everything that the OP is asking for. And most indie games should be able to run off of integrated, so the quadro does well there as well, while making a MARVELOUS compute card.

Agree quadro-cards do there work very nice. 

Games?

Work? (RAM)

Work? (CPU)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834313690

Size doesn't bother me very much. I just need it to preform good with Inventor.

I'd like a good price to performance ratio, which I know is hard to find in a laptop.

Question to OP,

What screen size 15,6 or 17+ inch?

If there is a 17 which is very close to the same price id go for the larger screen size. I find them better for productivity anyways. But if there is a large $200+ premium ill go with 15.6

get a metal ultrabook and then put windows 7 on it.

I have considered the 2013 Razer Blade and putting windows 7 on it but I'm not sure how the support for 7 is on it. 

Size doesn't bother me very much. I just need it to preform good with Inventor.

I'd like a good price to performance ratio, which I know is hard to find in a laptop.

If there is a 17 which is very close to the same price id go for the larger screen size. I find them better for productivity anyways. But if there is a large $200+ premium ill go with 15.6

I have considered the 2013 Razer Blade and putting windows 7 on it but I'm not sure how the support for 7 is on it. 

I'm not very familiar with Quadro cards, so the best I could do is stick close to your budget.

PS: That R9 M290X is in addition to what the A10-5750 provides. A Laptop with crossfire, woo.

Edit: The Asus you mentioned in your initial post seems to be the best price to performance of any i7/GTX 8xx laptops.

8GB RAM; R9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152563

12GB RAM; GTX 560 or R9(It mentions both. I'm so confused)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152571

I'm not very familiar with Quadro cards, so the best I could do is stick close to your budget.

PS: That R9 M290X is in addition to what the A10-5750 provides. A Laptop with crossfire, woo.

The price to performance on Quadro cards is terrible. To get a decent card you would have to go with the K3100M and I cant find a laptop with that is under $2500. So I am going to probably go with a GTX card like the 870M.

I would go with a Quadro if I was running simulations though. 

PS: That R9 M290X is in addition to what the A10-5750 provides. A Laptop with crossfire, woo.

Edit: The Asus you mentioned in your initial post seems to be the best price to performance of any i7/GTX 8xx laptops.

8GB RAM; R9

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152563

12GB RAM; GTX 560 or R9(It mentions both. I'm so confused)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152571

The APU cuts the performance down so much. Can someone try to find if inventor uses cuda or stream cores for speed? On phone atm

The APU cuts the performance down so much. Can someone try to find if inventor uses cuda or stream cores for speed? On phone atm

I'm not sure if AutoCAD uses more CPU or GPU, but the two I linked are AMD A10-5750s with additional R9 M290X GPUs with 2GB of dedicated RAM.

I'm not sure if AutoCAD uses more CPU or GPU, but the two I linked are AMD A10-5750s with additional R9 M290X GPUs with 2GB of dedicated RAM.

Don't even think about getting mobile A10's. If your opting of HUGE CPU power then I highly recommend we don't touch AMD. The GPU is great, but the CPU cant keep up at the GPU's paste so you get around a 30 to 50 % Performance hit from everything. If this guy is going to try to get anything with out dealing with wait I would see if we can get him something that he can choose his things. Pre built laptops are nice and all but sometimes name brand gets in the way... 

hmm...http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30205 from a bare bones site where he can order it in a bit more custom would be preferred I guess. You can pick the parts and they ship it to you pre built so no worries of cracking the bad boy open. This is just my 2 cents tho so judge on what he can get at the price. 

Don't even think about getting mobile A10's. If your opting of HUGE CPU power then I highly recommend we don't touch AMD. The GPU is great, but the CPU cant keep up at the GPU's paste so you get around a 30 to 50 % Performance hit from everything. If this guy is going to try to get anything with out dealing with wait I would see if we can get him something that he can choose his things. Pre built laptops are nice and all but sometimes name brand gets in the way... 

hmm...http://rjtech.com/shop/index.php?dispatch=products.view&product_id=30205 from a bare bones site where he can order it in a bit more custom would be preferred I guess. You can pick the parts and they ship it to you pre built so no worries of cracking the bad boy open. This is just my 2 cents tho so judge on what he can get at the price. 

If AutoCAD advantages from the raw compute power that GPUs excel at, that would be bad advice.