Sata Hotswaping

Logicjunkie520

So i have seen that technically sata drives are hotswapable after enabling in bios but how does widows handle it as i have to computers one home and one portable machine and im working on putting a 2.5 ssd sled in them both to be able to move my game drive back an forth as i go out with it. but i dont want to have to shut the home machine down everytime i want to swap.

I understand in linux you have to run a flush to clear any pending rights and that

i was thinking at most i would have to make a batch script to clear pending rights then power the drive off to eject and then another to initilize the drive when putting it back in.

Am i thinking correct on this if so what cmds would i need to run if not what am i missing or am i just over complicating it

On linux you just need to unmount. On Windows once hotplug is enabled on a port the drive will show up in the "eject" menu just like for a removable USB drive and you can unmount it from there.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Wait, you need to enable it in the bios? I've always just unplugged them without a care in the world and it worked just fine so far.😅

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I've seen mobos where it was on by default. But it might be that the controller supports hotswapping regardless of the setting, just that enabling it will make the device appear "removable" to give you the eject option.

Just yanking out a drive that isn't marked as removable isn't a great idea as by default "fixed" drives will have write caching enabled in Windows, while removable ones don't (unless you go change it in both cases of course).

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

22 minutes ago, Logicjunkie520 said:

So i have seen that technically sata drives are hotswapable after enabling in bios but how does widows handle it as i have to computers one home and one portable machine and im working on putting a 2.5 ssd sled in them both to be able to move my game drive back an forth as i go out with it. but i dont want to have to shut the home machine down everytime i want to swap.

I understand in linux you have to run a flush to clear any pending rights and that

i was thinking at most i would have to make a batch script to clear pending rights then power the drive off to eject and then another to initilize the drive when putting it back in.

Am i thinking correct on this if so what cmds would i need to run if not what am i missing or am i just over complicating it

Any reason why you arent just using a usb to sata or nvme?

Sata isnt made to plug unplug more than 20 or so times before the connector starts to be damaged

30 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Any reason why you arent just using a usb to sata or nvme?

Sata isnt made to plug unplug more than 20 or so times before the connector starts to be damaged

storage size aswell as on the portable system saving controller lanes as its used for some vr games, the ssd are going on a hotswap sled so the ports are not gona be used the same 

48 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

I've seen mobos where it was on by default. But it might be that the controller supports hotswapping regardless of the setting, just that enabling it will make the device appear "removable" to give you the eject option.

Just yanking out a drive that isn't marked as removable isn't a great idea as by default "fixed" drives will have write caching enabled in Windows, while removable ones don't (unless you go change it in both cases of course).

thats what im trying to figure out is getting windows to see the game drive as a removable so i can pull it when im switching when i got to take the other system out the portable isnt on when i install so that ones not really a issue