Microphone only picking up noise when super close

Hydroll

So recently I bought an RODE NT-usb mini, and I plugged it in, and all was working great. A couple days ago though I bought a new cable for it, so I can have better cable management, and after that my mic will barely pick up sound.

It sounds normal and clear when I'm just barely touching my mic and talking, but as soon as I get more than 3 or 4 inches away it sounds dead quiet. My headset (Steelseries Arctis 7+) has a microphone, and when using that, everything works fine.

I tried going back to the cable that it came with, but the issue persists even with that. I have messed with sound settings, making sure everything is set to max. I've tried various potential solutions that I've found from googling my issue a bunch, but to no avail.

A couple days ago though, it started working again, and all was good, but then it went back to not functioning yesterday. Now just today, my headset mic did had the same issue, where it wouldn't pick up noise unless I was right next to it. That didn't last long though, only a couple minutes before it fixed itself. 
I haven't uninstalled/installed any programs that would be relevant to any of this as far as I'm aware, so I'd really appreciate it if any of y'all have any idea what's up.

Is the gain on that mic turned down in the Windows control panel or RODE Central? (Do you have the RODE software installed?)

I sold my soul for ProSupport.