Is it normal for no one to respond to you on facebook marketplace?

Go to solution Solved by King Minor,

Update, I have received a few responses. Thanks for all of the advice.

A few days ago I sent some messages on Facebook marketplace in an attempt to buy a GPU and I haven't heard anything back. I just want to know if this type of behavior was normal?

Getting ghosted on FB Marketplace isn't super common, but it certainly can happen.

Were these attempts with multiple different sellers or just a single seller? If just one seller, it's probably just that that person is just ignoring you for any number of reasons. A one off is hard to analyze, although I would not recommend sending multiple messages to a single seller in quick succession, as that can come across as being pushy.

If this happened with multiple sellers, then you may want to consider changing your approach with how you message people, as it's less likely that everything is just on the seller's end when it's happening over and over. It could be that something about your messages makes you come off as being not serious about buying for some reason, or maybe as too pushy.

6 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

Getting ghosted on FB Marketplace isn't super common, but it certainly can happen.

Were these attempts with multiple different sellers or just a single seller? If just one seller, it's probably just that that person is just ignoring you for any number of reasons. A one off is hard to analyze, although I would not recommend sending multiple messages to a single seller in quick succession, as that can come across as being pushy.

If this happened with multiple sellers, then you may want to consider changing your approach with how you message people, as it's less likely that everything is just on the seller's end when it's happening over and over. It could be that something about your messages makes you come off as being not serious about buying for some reason, or maybe as too pushy.

Multiple different sellers, Mostly asking whether an item was available.

6 minutes ago, King Minor said:

So I don't use FB Marketplace at all, but I will say on other places, asking if an item is available is something the scammers do. Usually if an item is still listed it's available. I tend to ignore messages I get that look suspicious, asking if the item is available.  This might not be helping you.

4 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

So I don't use FB Marketplace at all, but I will say on other places, asking if an item is available is something the scammers do. Usually if an item is still listed it's available. I tend to ignore messages I get that look suspicious, asking if the item is available.  This might not be helping you.

Ok thanks.

I've had all kinds of different experiences with marketplace, all the way from total ghosting on the seller, to total ghosting on the buyer (account deactivated), to agreeing on a price and meetup and having it sold from under me. 

1 hour ago, OhioYJ said:

FB marketplace has you ask that by default for the initial contact

I don't think its really a bad question either as the seller may have multiple inquiries, or if it has been up for a week, a person may have sold it on another market place and forgotten it was still up, or thought they took it down but never hit commit. It is not a question associated with scammers at all. 

4 hours ago, King Minor said:

I would start with a real question you have about the item or about where and when to meet. Assume if the ad still is up, the item is available. If not, they will let you know 

I know the "is it still available" is some sort of default. But it sounds scary and annoying. And a bit offensive since the question implies I'm too lazy to take the ad down after sale.

Don't start the conversation by offering 10% of the asking price.....

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Don't say "is this still available?" Instead, ask about some detail about the item, even if you aren't particularly interested in that detail.

"How large is the GPU I want to see if it fits in my case?" will generate a response as it suggests an interest in the sale, and you'll still get to know what you want as they will reply with either "Sorry its no longer available" or the answer to your query, meaning you know it's available, and they're interested in selling to you.

3 hours ago, cooky560 said:

Don't say "is this still available?" Instead, ask about some detail about the item, even if you aren't particularly interested in that detail.

"How large is the GPU I want to see if it fits in my case?" will generate a response as it suggests an interest in the sale, and you'll still get to know what you want as they will reply with either "Sorry its no longer available" or the answer to your query, meaning you know it's available, and they're interested in selling to you.

If you don't have an actual question about the product, don't waste time. Go right to the meeting when and where to make the transaction.

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Update, I have received a few responses. Thanks for all of the advice.