Helping Friend w/ $1,000 Budget Find Laptop For Information Security School

I'm trying to help a friend find a laptop before they start information security school.

The only requirement is 16GB of RAM from what she told me and her budget is $1,000.

I never shop laptops since my employer provides mine so haven't explored this world in a while.

Any suggestions on what I should be steering her towards?  That budget didn't sound like a lot to me but maybe I'm wrong?

The main concern would be software that the school would require your friend to install and run on their laptop, but if the only requirement they list is 16GB of RAM, then they must not require anything too demanding. The main thing you're going to want to make sure, is that you go with a Windows PC, I'm guessing, which goes without saying, but sometimes people make that mistake...

Not sure where you're from, either, but looking at prices where I am (Canada) you should be able to find a decent machine with a Core i5 or Ryzen 5 processor in it, 16GB RAM, and a decent sized SSD. 

Razer Blade 14 (RZ09-0508x): AMD Ryzen 9 8945HS, nVidia GeForce RTX 4070, 64 GB 5200 DDR5, Win11 Pro [Workhorse/Gaming]

Apple MacBook Pro 14 (A2442): Apple M1 Pro APU (8 Core), 16 GB Unified Memory, macOS Sonoma 14.3 [Creative Rig]

Samsung GalaxyBook Pro (NP930QDB-KF4CA): Intel Core i7-1165G7, 16 GB DDR4, Win11 Pro [WinTablet]

HP Envy 15-k257ca: Intel Core i5 5200U, nVidia GeForce 840M, 16GB 1600 DDR3, Win7 Pro [Retro]

Toshiba Satellite A70-S2591:  Intel Pentium 4 538, ATI Radeon 9000 IGP, 1.5 GB DDR RAM, WinXP Pro [Antique]