New NAS

I have an HTPC that I'm thinking of turning into a NAS, and have a few questions about the difficulty of it. 

I read the info in the "remote access NAS" here, and it looks fairly straightforward. I've got no NAS experience, and only a little bit of Linux/command line (getting better). -For remote access: I've got Xfinity (changing to Verizon at the end of this contract) and their interface is pretty barebones and locked down from what I can tell.

-Am I gonna run into some major hurdles when I want to implement it?

-I don't need intense security on it, and the data stored on it is going to have a cloud backup for the irreplaceable stuff

Can I even get a somewhat usable experience out of these specs:

I5-6500

2x12tb refurb HDD in RAID1

Gigabit Ethernet controller

16gb 2133 RAM

Quadro p600 for media transcoding (optional, already in machine)

180W platinum PSU

Internet: 400/15 (will switch to Verizon 200/200)

Thinking of using TrueNAS core

35 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I have an HTPC that I'm thinking of turning into a NAS, and have a few questions about the difficulty of it. 

I read the info in the "remote access NAS" here, and it looks fairly straightforward. I've got no NAS experience, and only a little bit of Linux/command line (getting better). -For remote access: I've got Xfinity (changing to Verizon at the end of this contract) and their interface is pretty barebones and locked down from what I can tell.

-Am I gonna run into some major hurdles when I want to implement it?

-I don't need intense security on it, and the data stored on it is going to have a cloud backup for the irreplaceable stuff

Can I even get a somewhat usable experience out of these specs:

I5-6500

2x12tb refurb HDD in RAID1

Gigabit Ethernet controller

16gb 2133 RAM

Quadro p600 for media transcoding (optional, already in machine)

180W platinum PSU

Internet: 400/15 (will switch to Verizon 200/200)

Thinking of using TrueNAS core

That can run as a nas well.

If you need remote access to it, you will need to setup a VPN server and forward the port from your router to that server and then you should be and to connect.

I also use xfinity. I switched the modem to bridge mode so it doesn't use their router and then I have a good Asus one for my router and VPN.

Works well.

4 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

That can run as a nas well.

If you need remote access to it, you will need to setup a VPN server and forward the port from your router to that server and then you should be and to connect.

I also use xfinity. I switched the modem to bridge mode so it doesn't use their router and then I have a good Asus one for my router and VPN.

Works well.

And so if I want to go the domain access route for remote access, I have a little Netgear r6210, that should be fine? And is there a particular VPN that works best with the DDNS route for domain access?

Only thing that is giving me a lil hesitation for the bridge mode is having to reconfigure the smart plugs and wifi-connected devices I have.

4 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

And so if I want to go the domain access route for remote access, I have a little Netgear r6210, that should be fine? And is there a particular VPN that works best with the DDNS route for domain access?

Only thing that is giving me a lil hesitation for the bridge mode is having to reconfigure the smart plugs and wifi-connected devices I have.

I haven't really checked the xfinity settings but you might be able to forward ports to a VPN server you setup on the router and then not have to touch that stuff. 

Or, depending on what you use for your Nas you can run the VPN server on that. 

My asus router is acting as an openvpn server. 

Another thing you can look into is either zero tier or tailscale.

16 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

If you turn your current xfijity provider modem/router into bridge mode and then use your own router, you can just set your router to use the same SSID and password the xfijity one used and all devices will work without any changes - they won’t know the difference. 

Id run wire guard on the NAS itself. 

Also, that machine is massive overkill, it’ll do great. 

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air