PSU fried after i upgraded my rig

fevik

i just upgraded my rig from r5 2600+1660ti to 5950x + 3060, pc ran good for around 10 hours but 5 mins ago the rgb lights of the liquid cooler flickered and screens went off, i instantly turned the psu's power switch off (took like 5 seconds rendering what was happening max) but after i did there was a burnt smell and literal smoke coming off from the psu. my psu of 6 years ( corsair something 650w) had fried (no smoke tho) 2 weeks ago and i let a local pc shop replace it with another 650w they had in hand (probably off brand), and 2 weeks after today this happened. 650w shouldve been sufficient for this rig also. what are the chances my mobo and cpu are also fried now? ill bring it to a friends pc shop tomorrow and get it checked but im so mad right now i decided to create a thread here to hear what you guys think about this. I think my mobo could be fked too because instead of power instantly cutting the rgbs were flickering meaning there was still some kind of electric going through it

Where do you have it plugged in? 

Is it grounded well?

Are you using the new power cable (to the wall) with each new PSU?

If I were you, I would have returned that original PSU to Corsair.  They would have sent you a new or refurbished (very well done usually, indistinguishable from new) corsair unit that would likely work well.  You can probably still do that, their RMA service is very forgiving.

I'd say your MoBo and CPU are probably fine.  

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

18 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Where do you have it plugged in? 

Is it grounded well?

Are you using the new power cable (to the wall) with each new PSU?

If I were you, I would have returned that original PSU to Corsair.  They would have sent you a new or refurbished (very well done usually, indistinguishable from new) corsair unit that would likely work well.  You can probably still do that, their RMA service is very forgiving.

I'd say your MoBo and CPU are probably fine.  

thanks, im pretty sure the plug im using is grounded well but i don't even know how to return that corsair psu since i dont even remember which site i bought it from anymore. i will just buy a brand new one tomorrow, im just hoping rest of the parts are fine

3 minutes ago, fevik said:

thanks, im pretty sure the plug im using is grounded well but i don't even know how to return that corsair psu since i dont even remember which site i bought it from anymore. i will just buy a brand new one tomorrow, im just hoping rest of the parts are fine

Go to corsair's website and fill out their RMA.  You won't send it back to the vendor, you'll send it to corsair.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

From what I've gathered from your post, you have a non-Corsair power supply in your build right now, correct?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Probably won't be any way to know if the other parts are fine until you try with a new PSU. 

What's the model of the replacement PSU you got that failed after 2 weeks? If not sure what the model is post a pic of the label on the PSU.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450