To much water in my watercooling reduces cooling?

bravonijn

Does too much water in the system reduce cooling capacity? I think it does. I was having issues with my watercooling system i have build myself. I have been building these for years and never had an issue Until I decided to make a custom loop And completely fill it up with water.

Not a single drop of air left in the system!!!.

But my system was getting too hot while playing games (water temps around 100 Celcius)

I was starting to think my pump just broke and was not circulating my water at all.

So i drained a little bit of water to see if the pump was working, and i could see waterflow.

The temps were down by a lot.

Could it be possible that the water created such a high pressure that the water just stopped moving in my system as it had nowhere to go? Or is it a coincidence?

I would love to hear from you if that is even possible. 

thnx

Distilled water is the best coolant possible, we unfortunately have to add stuff to it to keep algae and/or corrosion down, this makes coolant perform slightly worse. Water ain't your problem. 

If coolant temps hit 100C then your loop would have literally been boiling, and the pressure would have blown the lines loose. What sensor are you getting that data from? 

6 minutes ago, bravonijn said:

So i drained a little bit of water to see if the pump was working, and i could see waterflow.

Could it be possible that the water created such a high pressure that the water just stopped moving in my system as it had nowhere to go? Or is it a coincidence?

How new is the build? It's likely that a bubble got stuck somewhere and messed with the flow. Though I've never had a bubble cause a stoppage to that level. I typically bonk the computer a bit, and if possible lay it on its side, let it run for a bit, then pick it back up, etc. Helps get the air bubbles out. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

5 minutes ago, bravonijn said:

Does too much water in the system reduce cooling capacity? I think it does. I was having issues with my watercooling system i have build myself. I have been building these for years and never had an issue Until I decided to make a custom loop And completely fill it up with water.

But my system was getting too hot while playing games (water temps around 100 Celcius)

I was starting to think my pump just broke and was not circulating my water at all.

thnx

You should never fill a custom loop upto the brim as hot water=increased pressure=premature degradation of the parts and O-Rings and sometimes cracking of the reservoir (The very reason some Deepcool AIO's were bursting).
Always leave a bit empty as per manufacturer recommendations. 

• AMD Ryzen 7 5700X Stock
  • B550 Aorus Elite V2 Rev1.2
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB 3600Mhz 32gb (8gb x4)
  • MSI Mech 2X RX6600
  • Deepcool AK620 WH
  • Deepcool CK500 WH
  • Kingston A2000 250gb + WD Blue 1tb HDD, Sn550 1tb + MX500 1000gb
  • Antec EAG Pro 750 80+G
  • Benq Mobiuz EX2510 144Hz

46 minutes ago, Tech Reprise said:

You should never fill a custom loop upto the brim as hot water=increased pressure=premature degradation of the parts and O-Rings and sometimes cracking of the reservoir (The very reason some Deepcool AIO's were bursting).
Always leave a bit empty as per manufacturer recommendations. 

Well its not that water's temperature increasing affects pressure, it causes expansion and therefore the volume to increase. If the volume available is limited, aka, sealed without any lower density fluid to compress instead (like air at the top of a reservoir) then yes, pressure will increase due to the change in density.

46 minutes ago, Zando_ said:

Distilled water is the best coolant possible, we unfortunately have to add stuff to it to keep algae and/or corrosion down, this makes coolant perform slightly worse. Water ain't your problem. 

If coolant temps hit 100C then your loop would have literally been boiling, and the pressure would have blown the lines loose. What sensor are you getting that data from? 

How new is the build? It's likely that a bubble got stuck somewhere and messed with the flow. Though I've never had a bubble cause a stoppage to that level. I typically bonk the computer a bit, and if possible lay it on its side, let it run for a bit, then pick it back up, etc. Helps get the air bubbles out. 

If a coolant is hitting 100C, then the CPU's temperature is well above 100C, likely past the point where the junctions in the transistors of the CPU die have broken down.

55 minutes ago, bravonijn said:

thnx

You want some air for thermal expansion, otherwise a rise in temperature causes the fluid to expand and start compressing. There's a lot of things that can go wrong if you're increasing pressure, including how that affects the pump.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

water under pressure changes the behavior, in addition the pressure can blow out your tubes..  boiling point increases among others. 

if your loop is getting too hot, you don't have enough radiators in the loop to disperse the heat with... or your fans are not running fast enough.. to cool them. 

you shouldn't have watertemp higher than 45C..  or 113F.. at that stage your fans should be at max speed to save your loop..  as above it's a possibility your tubes warp.. 

gpu (rtx7900xtx Aqua from Asrock ) was hitting 103 degrees .. i am not native english so my translation can be off

I have hard tubing and do not see any cracks, so that is still ok.

I filled it completely with water and purple dye because it would look better 

I abandoned the looks and have  lowered the liquid volume 

I can see a steady flow and better temps 

in the picture, you can see the horizontal tube is not completely filled . shows a nice flow now 

(I liked it better completely full, but that would only happen with a completely filled system)

PXL_20240214_222334209.jpg