I need help to make my old laptop into a NAS

Hey Everyone,

I recently bought a M3 pro Macbook pro for video editing and now I want use my old laptop (Asus ROG GL502 VM core i7-6700HQ with GTX 970m) as a NAS. I am completely new to this topic so here are some things that I can not figure out.

1 - I have around 5 external HDDs. is USB connection enogh for the speed?

2 - I want to be able to read and write files from my macbook, Do I have to format them all and lose current files on them?

3 - I want to be able to access them both in my house and remotely. but in house I want to be able to access the files more directly. what is the best solotion?

4 - I know I am missing alot of things so I would appreciate If you could help me out with it.

If you have 5 drives with their own enclosure, then not a good way to do that without a USB hub at least.  Perhaps if you took the drives out and put them into a single enclosure that connects via USB (Amazon.com: Yottamaster 5-Bay RAID Hard Drive Enclosure).  Even then, I'm not familiar enough with the open source NAS software choices to know if they would be able to use the drives.
A macbook should be able to read most modern drive formats.  If you'd like to use the drives in a raid array of any sort then the drives would need to be formatted.  
Accessing your files away from home would require setting up something along the lines of a VPN tunnel to your home network either memorizing your home IP address or using a dynamic DNS service.  At your house you would only be able to access them through the network port on your Asus laptop that is hosting the drives.

But I'm just talking out my ass.