Order 13900KS, receive 14900KF!

Tested!

I ordered a 13900KS because it was cheaper than the 14th generation i9.

I opened the box which should have had a used 13900KS, and to my surprise I've received a 14900KF.

Of course, I can't immediately send it back and feel like I should check it out.

I purchased it from this unusual listing that appears to have "processor" spelled in Italian. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS6W9JH8

I'll socket this in a new MSI z690 Ace with the latest bios with an 850watt PSU for a test. The motherboard has some diagnostic utilities which should find if the CPU was trashed by the previous buyer, that would explain why I found this in my package. I hope it's not the case because I would certainly enjoy coming out the winner in this. I would hate to wait to build my PC due to some mix-up in Amazon's "Second chance" program and my choice to trust it!

The CPU had some thermal paste on it, nothing crazy. So, I cleaned with a Q-Tip and some 99% iso. After inspecting, I noticed no scratches or missing components. The PCB isn't swollen, the FCGA looks good. For the GPU I'll use a 4080 Super, this processor has no GPU integrated so I'm required to have some discrete graphics.

What do you think? Should I send this back without testing or try it out? It has every feature I need of a 13900KS and some bonuses - newer, faster clock, higher power performance.

what, did the price go up after you bought it because you can just get a 14900k for $10 less

3 minutes ago, Mentalis said:

I ordered a 13900KS because it was cheaper than the 14th generation i9.

I opened the box which should have had a used 13900KS, and to my surprise I've received a 14900KF.

Of course, I can't immediately send it back and feel like I should check it out.

I purchased it from this unusual listing that appears to have "processor" spelled in Italian. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BS6W9JH8

I'll socket this in a new MSI z690 Ace with the latest bios with an 850watt PSU for a test. The motherboard has some diagnostic utilities which should find if the CPU was trashed by the previous buyer, that would explain why I found this in my package. I hope it's not the case because I would certainly enjoy coming out the winner in this. I would hate to wait to build my PC due to some mix-up in Amazon's "Second chance" program and my choice to trust it!

The CPU had some thermal paste on it, nothing crazy. So, I cleaned with a Q-Tip and some 99% iso. After inspecting, I noticed no scratches or missing components. The PCB isn't swollen, the FCGA looks good. For the GPU I'll use a 4080 Super, this processor has no GPU integrated so I'm required to have some discrete graphics.

What do you think? Should I send this back without testing or try it out? It has every feature I need of a 13900KS and some bonuses - newer, faster clock, higher power performance.

14900K is better in all aspects, why won't you keep it ???

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

I got it for $460, $502 to my door

I mean it's possible the seller messed up, but I doubt it. I'd be much more concerned that there is actually something wrong with it. Who sells a CPU and doesn't even bother to clean the thermal paste off it, and see what it is?

What are you going to do if this CPU has an issue that is readily apparent and you don't notice until next month?

Just now, Mentalis said:

I got it for $460, $502 to my door

nicenicenice
it's on par with used pricing for the chip, and it sounds like its in used condition.
if it works out the box and is stable, its whatever. I always buy used on the cpu because its literally free money and it's like the most reliable part in a pc by orders of magnitude

If you don't care about not having an igpu then I'd just keep it. Though, you should definitely test it while it's still within the return period. I'm not sure how common it is these days but there was a scam where people were delidding high end CPUs and swapping the IHS from the high end CPU on to a much cheaper CPU and returning the cheap CPU as the expensive one. Just because the IHS says 14900KF doesn't mean it actually is one. If the motherboard BIOS shows it as 14900KF then you're good. 

Edited by Spotty

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If you intend to return it you might aswell have some fun with it and oc the shit out of it =p

Afaik 13900ks is mainly binned for better imc so if the 14900kf has a garbage imc that wont push past 8000 feel free to return it

If you arent looking for a good imc and the 14900kf actually turns out to be pretty decent cpu oc wise you can also opt to keep it

Sounds good. I'm coming from an i7 4770, since getting a 4080 Super I've started down this path of upgrading my "space heater". I do have 4x Corsair Titanium 6400, but my z690 Ace board may have a limitation of 6.6k stopping me from reaching 8k. I think I would need to test the IMC using only one dimm? though I don't know how important that would be for me. I game on a Pimax 8K X and so far my old 1.3k DDR3 is carrying me. Having this VR headset I always have to disable the int gfx regardless or it will not function in native resolution mode.

49 minutes ago, Spotty said:

If you don't care about not having an igpu then I'd just keep it. Though, you should definitely test it while it's still within the return period. I'm not sure how common it is these days but there was a scam where people were delidding high end CPUs and swapping the IHS from the high end CPU on to a much cheaper CPU and returning the cheap CPU as the expensive one. Just because the IHS says 14900KF doesn't mean it actually is one. If the motherboard BIOS shows it as 14900KF then you're good. 

I will see how the board identifies the CPU. That's a little scary.

ITS REAL

I was finally able to throw everything together on a table (my case has not yet arrived) and started up CPU-Z (had preinstalled windows drive with games and tools) then I went full sail and stressed on 32 threads with default settings. CPU temp went straight to 99c and held, system remained stable, and I could still do other things during the stress. Using an MSI s360 AIO, the CPU fan on the water block seems nice. I saw a 32t score of 17.3k slowly drop to 16.9k, I'm not sure if that's a good score. Zero overclock, all motherboard settings default, no XMP.

I'm not sure why MSI's D/S360 isn't featured more often, it seems a good value with the extra hardware in it. Of course, the fan on the water block adds more heat potential to the water block and does not contribute cooling benefit to the CPU, only the components near such as the CPU-linked m.2 for a breeze over some SSD heat spreader/sink. This fan is audible at load unlike the rad fans which are quite quiet. There's a bit of gale 360 degrees around the CPU. This is certainly going to help something.

CPU-Z took the CPU straight to 99c in a split second after *stress* start with all defaults and full installation of system utilities, and remained until I stopped the operation, after 2 seconds or less it's back down to 44c. Core voltage hangs around 1.346-1.4, that seems kind of high to me but I'm no expert and this is new stuff. I've seen boosts to 6ghz (pcore) already. I'm only seeing 4ghz  (4 dimm filled) on Corsair DDR5 6600, not much interest in improvement there for now but XMP can boost that to 6.6ghz.

Everything appears to be great, I'm not sure why someone would put what seems to be a perfectly questionable 14900KF in a 13900KS box... They didn't even claim the free copy of Ghostrunner 2 from Intel 🤷‍♂️ (see Intel | Software Advantage Program)

I would assume CPU-Z's stress test is far from real-world, but the heat was. I was pleased to see 99C and not a C over in hwinfo. I would assume this means limited hotspot and possibly accurate readings from thermistors, throttling working as it should.

Feeling the sunshine over here, could just be the upgraded toaster though. Thank you everyone for the info.

DxDiag.txt

Totally legal test bench:

1707825694271_31941117103898947.jpeg