Microcenter Protection Plan

Amer

Hey guys, basically I purchased a 3090 2 years ago and been having issues with screen tearing when the pc has been up for more than a few days.

i took it to microcenter to get a refund on it being I still have another year left of warranty on it but the gpu passed even though I explained to them it only happens after my pc has been on a while yet they don’t want to test it for that long.

Any advice or tips about the situation with microcenter?

Cheese

11 minutes ago, Amer said:

Hey guys, basically I purchased a 3090 2 years ago and been having issues with screen tearing when the pc has been up for more than a few days.

i took it to microcenter to get a refund on it being I still have another year left of warranty on it but the gpu passed even though I explained to them it only happens after my pc has been on a while yet they don’t want to test it for that long.

What kind of diagnostic steps did you take before you went to microcenter? Can't say that I have heard of screen tearing being a uptime related problem...

49 minutes ago, Amer said:

That's a really odd problem. Are you sure it's related to the graphics card?

What are you doing with the PC while it's running for several days? Are you putting it to sleep or hibernation, or is the PC left on and running the entire time? Is the game you're playing left running the entire time? Any reason why you can't just restart the PC once every few days?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

58 minutes ago, Amer said:

Have you tried a different cable? Are you leaving the display on the whole time? Do you have a good PSU, and how old is it?

To your original question, keep your phone nearby and start recording video when it happens. I don't blame MC for not wanting to plug your card into a test system and walk away for a few days hoping to see a problem at some point, so you're going to need to do a little homework on your end for this one.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

11 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

What kind of diagnostic steps did you take before you went to microcenter? Can't say that I have heard of screen tearing being a uptime related problem...

I did a fresh install of windows 11. Also tried my friends gpu and his gpu would not be an issue

Cheese

10 hours ago, Spotty said:

That's a really odd problem. Are you sure it's related to the graphics card?

What are you doing with the PC while it's running for several days? Are you putting it to sleep or hibernation, or is the PC left on and running the entire time? Is the game you're playing left running the entire time? Any reason why you can't just restart the PC once every few days?

It’s running a game in the background that doesn’t use much resources.

Cheese

What Nvidia driver are you running?  I'm not sure if it was the current 551.23 driver or if there was a slightly earlier one but I was having horrendous screen tearing and flickering on my 3090 while just sitting at the desktop doing nothing after I had done a driver update.  I rolled back to driver 546.33 and the problem stopped immediately.  Might be worth a try depending on what your running.

Curious as to why one would leave a game running in the background for days? 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

17 minutes ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

Curious as to why one would leave a game running in the background for days? 

only reason I can think of is an idle game

2 hours ago, BrandonLatzig said:

only reason I can think of is an idle game

Or allowing some sort of professional third party gamer to pinch hit for him... 

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

6 hours ago, Amer said:

I did a fresh install of windows 11. Also tried my friends gpu and his gpu would not be an issue

You used your friends gpu for days? Good friend.