Best way to fully update Win7 today

(Sorry for a bit of a preamble but I'm trying to cut off some of the non-helpful post ahead of time)

I need Windows 7 on real hardware for some older proprietary software who's vendor is long dead, And no suitable replacement is available to me. I have gone the VM route for some time but it doesn't play nice with them. It also will not even install on Windows 10 due to the (I'm guessing 16bit) installer failing to load. And the one rig I had it on before updating to 10 proves the software has major stability issues on that platform.  The software in question doesn't need internet to run, So the system will be limited to the local network only making online security issues after install and update a moot point.

(The real question of the post)
While installing 7 is as simple as burn the ISO to DVD and slap it in the old rig. The issue comes from updating it to the best patch levels due to Win7 being EoL. So my question is, Is the builtin updater still alive to the last patches released or will I need to find alternate ways like with XP and older? And if I do need other ways what are the best ones people have safely tried? 

Depending on what version you use, the online updater will either work or not.

Windows 7 Ultimate from 2021 and newer still has a functioning Windows Update - but non-Ultimate versions do not work. 

There is really no reason to install the updates though. If you have a disc of Win7 with SP1 there's really nothing more you need.

If this is an offline machine running some niche software, install media with SP1 and call it a day. Unless you really need some specific aspects of further updates, which you can do individually by downloading the update files.

You can find all the windows 7 updates in the update catalog:

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=windows+7+updates
To piece together whatever features you want and need beyond sp1

I do believe I have a Ultimate key left in the scrap pile so I need to go digging lol. I was just going to use pro, But sounds like digging for the other key might be worth it 😀
I don't really remember what patches is likes and the system it was on when it ran at it's most stable was fully up to date before going EoL so I was just going to replicate that environment lol

46 minutes ago, Lucian_Dragos said:

So my question is, Is the builtin updater still alive to the last patches released or will I need to find alternate ways like with XP and older? And if I do need other ways what are the best ones people have safely tried? 

In terms of small definition updates, Microsoft Security Essentials still receives updates for Windows 7.

image.png.4c908845ea47254dd16590c688d57749.png

There's a couple patches you need to install manually if you're using good ol SP1 builds, but after that you can just run Windows Update as per usual.

These are the updates you need to install, and you need to install them in this order.

KB3102810

Windows Update Agent 7.6

KB3020369

KB3172605

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)