Proxmox on Dell PowerEdge R430 error

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,
Just now, otacon19 said:

I have it set on BIOS mode. I would have to reset the BIOS if I used UEFI because it would give a black screen and it would not let me press the function keys to access the BIOS. I can't tell of this is a video issue or not because I don't have a GPU installed, I'm just using VGA.

It should output video over VGA in UEFI mode, as long as you don’t have another video card installed. 

Do you have iDRAC set up? You should be able to change just about all those settings from the web UI. 

I'm trying to install proxmox on my R430 server but I keep getting this error. I'm new to this, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I always end up getting a black screen when try to install. I even tried the console installer but that doesn't work either. BIOS is updated. please help. Thanks.

IMG_0929.thumb.JPG.1bcc482e7101d2bdd09f78bf820042bb.JPG

I believe its trying populate devs but its getting stuck or failing.

Seems disk issue, try formatting disks first.

Or there other device which cannot be loaded or its stuck for some reason.

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

Are you running in Legacy mode, or UEFI mode?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Just now, BoomerDutch said:

I believe its trying populate devs but its getting stuck or failing.

Seems disk issue, try formatting disks first.

I only have one 1tb disk and its set to raid 0.

1 minute ago, otacon19 said:

I only have one 1tb disk and its set to raid 0.

ZFS likes having direct access to the drives. 

You should be able to set the PERC card to IT or HBA mode, so it doesn’t do any RAID on its own. 

Just now, Needfuldoer said:

I have it set on BIOS mode. I would have to reset the BIOS if I used UEFI because it would give a black screen and it would not let me press the function keys to access the BIOS. I can't tell of this is a video issue or not because I don't have a GPU installed, I'm just using VGA.

Just now, otacon19 said:

It should output video over VGA in UEFI mode, as long as you don’t have another video card installed. 

Do you have iDRAC set up? You should be able to change just about all those settings from the web UI. 

1 minute ago, Needfuldoer said:

ZFS likes having direct access to the drives. 

You should be able to set the PERC card to IT or HBA mode, so it doesn’t do any RAID on its own. 

5 minutes ago, Needfuldoer said:

Here is another message that I got.

IMG_0932.JPG

6 minutes ago, otacon19 said:

Here is another message that I got.

IMG_0932.JPG

Nothing worry about its loading to ram in order to install from ram to disk.

/Dev is usually disks getting initialised 

I'm jank tinkerer if it works then it works.

Regardless of compatibility 🐧🖖

3 minutes ago, BoomerDutch said:

Nothing worry about its loading to ram in order to install from ram to disk.

/Dev is usually disks getting initialised 

I forgot to point out the "vga=788 is deprecated" message

1 hour ago, Needfuldoer said:

WOW! Thanks for the suggestion. I was finally able to reach the EULA screen using iDRAC. I was using a VGA to HDMI converter, I'm seeing screens I never saw before. I guess it was a video issue with my monitor setup. Thanks!!

4 hours ago, otacon19 said:

WOW! Thanks for the suggestion. I was finally able to reach the EULA screen using iDRAC. I was using a VGA to HDMI converter, I'm seeing screens I never saw before. I guess it was a video issue with my monitor setup. Thanks!!

Were you using a TV by any chance? I ran into issues installing proxmox last year when using my TV as a monitor. The second that I switched to a standard monitor, it worked flawlessly. I have a feeling that it is hdmi handshake related. I did extensive reading and only found a few others with the same issue.

15 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

Were you using a TV by any chance? I ran into issues installing proxmox last year when using my TV as a monitor. The second that I switched to a standard monitor, it worked flawlessly. I have a feeling that it is hdmi handshake related. I did extensive reading and only found a few others with the same issue.

I was using a VGA to hdmi converter connected to an asus 3440x1440 monitor (rog pg348). usually when my monitor goes into sleep mode it will usually say "hdmi no signal". but while using the VGA converter I was getting a message saying a message saying "out of range" which I'd never seen before. So I guess it could be some kind of weird interaction with VGA and hdmi and vice versa.