1 of 8 Hard Drives makes weird noise

NichtDu123

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xn5XE56T9avbijC28

(My recorder app detected it as background noise and filtered it out so I made a video instead)

These Hard Drives are totally new and I just setup a RAID6 array with them. (Resync 50% done). I don't have any smart warnings yet and was wondering what to do.

This sounds unlike all of the other hard drive issues I could find on the internet so I'm wondering if it is one at all. Maybe the sound is just the parity disk from raid 6 writing (explaining why it's the only one making that sound?)

Is there some program like memtest32 that I can use to invidivually read and write from the hdds to figure out which one is making the sound?

Oh also the reason I "know" only one of them is making the sound is because you can feel the vibration accompanying the sound significantly stronger on one 4 HDD tray.

I guess you could connect the HDDs individually to a computer.

I own 3 different HDDs, one HGST is noisy and troublesome but otherwise functioning fine. Are yours all the same model ?

Anyway, it doesn't really matter, does it ? you can't do anything about it and there's no risk either in a good raid environment.

(in my case the system resonates annoyingly from the HDD vibrations so I mitigate my issue by changing the physicality of the system, slightly moving the HDD tray, loosening screws...)

Edited by leclod

I'm willing to swim against the current.