Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra VS Google Pixel 8 Pro (Which Should I Get?)

Go to solution Solved by filpo,
10 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Mild gaming included

which games specifically? the pixel can definitely handle mobile games. Even my Xr can sort of handle Asphalt 9 (one of the most graphically intensive games on a phone) but the game does stutter quite a bit on my phone but, then again, it's a 6 year old phone and gets really hot around the SOC

back on topic the Pixel 8 Pro should definitely be good enough for gaming getting quite a bit more (this is against my Xr) on the GPU intensive side of things, but consider that the Pixel is much more software optimized

image.thumb.png.075b40300c8d12f1b96e9886e0449ec4.png

compared to the S24 Ultra however it gets smacked with the S24 ultra coming in at 50% better in GPU intensive scenes. And considering it has the AI features that it was missing from the Pixel series, I think it's a good idea

image.thumb.png.603356d78d7a8f14622e6684d5cd549e.png

Now, price. The S24 Ultra is $1420 with the 512GB option and you'll get it Feb 14 if you get the orange colour but anything else you'll get it Feb 28

Buy Unlocked Galaxy S24 Ultra 512GB Smartphone | Samsung US

For the Pixel 8 Pro it's nearly 500 dollars cheaper at $980 with the discount of $200 off. The Pixel does have worse cameras but they're still great (the S24's cameras are just exceptional)

Buy Mint Google Pixel 8 Pro Unlocked, 128 GB - Google Store

So I'm looking at getting an upgrade.  I already have a Pixel 7, it's a good phone.  However I need more storage, not cloud storage, physical storage and I can't upgrade my storage internally (easily anyway).

I need help making a choice.  Pixel phones for me have been old reliable.  Have had 2 and been about 3 years apart.  It's a good phone, just too low on storage at 128GB.  The new phones have 512GB options and I would love to have a phone with half a terrabyte.

However I wonder which phone is better for productivity and entertainment?

I don't know much about Samsung Phones, but I have heard amazing things about the S24 Ultra being worth it.  Also my phone's trade in is worth $1K but I don't know how much it is for the Pixel 8 Pro.

Are there pros and cons to either phone and which one is actually just the better pick for someone who needs a phone that can do everything on an android platform.  (Need an android phone cuz some of my audio files and music production mobile software is only on Android).

Any tips.  Advice.  Specs.  Or just a direction would be good.  I just don't know what to get.  Stay with the Pixel lineup or go big for a S24 Ultra?  Mild gaming included.  Emulation mostly.

Edited by APCNewbie209
Forgot to finish my title my bad.

I'd mostly be using it for work, entertainment, and productivity stuff with mild emulation and as a MP3 player.  Which one is better for those uses?  If there even is a difference between the two.  Dunno much about phones other than their brand differences and designs.

10 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Mild gaming included

which games specifically? the pixel can definitely handle mobile games. Even my Xr can sort of handle Asphalt 9 (one of the most graphically intensive games on a phone) but the game does stutter quite a bit on my phone but, then again, it's a 6 year old phone and gets really hot around the SOC

back on topic the Pixel 8 Pro should definitely be good enough for gaming getting quite a bit more (this is against my Xr) on the GPU intensive side of things, but consider that the Pixel is much more software optimized

compared to the S24 Ultra however it gets smacked with the S24 ultra coming in at 50% better in GPU intensive scenes. And considering it has the AI features that it was missing from the Pixel series, I think it's a good idea

Now, price. The S24 Ultra is $1420 with the 512GB option and you'll get it Feb 14 if you get the orange colour but anything else you'll get it Feb 28

For the Pixel 8 Pro it's nearly 500 dollars cheaper at $980 with the discount of $200 off. The Pixel does have worse cameras but they're still great (the S24's cameras are just exceptional)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

14 minutes ago, filpo said:

I have a trade in worth of a grand for the S24 Ultra.  That's why I'm debating on getting it over the 8 Pro.  Most of the games I will play are like BTD 6, Shadow Fight 2-3, Angry Birds, more classic low engine games.  My pixel 7 handles these games extremely well.  It's not like I'm playing COD Mobile on this thing though.  I think I'm going to get the higher performance phone, the S24.  But is there anything I should know about Samsung Phones that make it different from Google phones?  Like new things I should be aware about?  You mentioned it has AIbl learning what does that mean for me me though?

2 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

But is there anything I should know about Samsung Phones that make it different from Google phones?  Like new things I should be aware about?

The UI might be one of the changes you’ll really feel. Also maybe the myriad of ‘Samsung’ apps installed to your phone which will most likely be more than your pixel 7 

for context my dads A41 has got about 18 Samsung apps on his phone (pre installed) with some being ‘Galaxy wearable’, ‘Samsung health’, ‘Samsung members????’ And the Galaxy store (which is basically useless when the play store is there). Apart from that the rest of the ‘ pre installed only Samsung brand’ seem quite normal (camera, settings, gallery and more)

then again this was a mid range phone from years ago so they’ve most likely changed. 

but to be honest, with all the new AI features from Google themselves ported over to Samsung, it shouldn’t be too different.

AIbl learning what does that mean for me me though?

Do you mean AI? If so then, for you, unless you’re searching editing images and taking them then not much. 
for a more well put overview of everything on the s24 ultra watch this vid from MKBHD 

I have a trade in worth of a grand for the S24 Ultra.  That's why I'm debating on getting it over the 8 Pro.  Most of the games I will play are like BTD 6, Shadow Fight 2-3, Angry Birds, more classic low engine games.  My pixel 7 handles these games extremely well.  It's not like I'm playing COD Mobile on this thing though.

Is your pixel suffering on the productivity side though? At least currently? Because if not there might not be a reason to upgrade. Unless the trade in will run out

Current parts list

1 hour ago, filpo said:

The UI might be one of the changes you’ll really feel. Also maybe the myriad of ‘Samsung’ apps installed to your phone which will most likely be more than your pixel 7 

for context my dads A41 has got about 18 Samsung apps on his phone (pre installed) with some being ‘Galaxy wearable’, ‘Samsung health’, ‘Samsung members????’ And the Galaxy store (which is basically useless when the play store is there). Apart from that the rest of the ‘ pre installed only Samsung brand’ seem quite normal (camera, settings, gallery and more)

then again this was a mid range phone from years ago so they’ve most likely changed. 

but to be honest, with all the new AI features from Google themselves ported over to Samsung, it shouldn’t be too different.

Do you mean AI? If so then, for you, unless you’re searching editing images and taking them then not much. 
for a more well put overview of everything on the s24 ultra watch this vid from MKBHD 

Is your pixel suffering on the productivity side though? At least currently? Because if not there might not be a reason to upgrade. Unless the trade in will run out

Oh no my phone is fantastic at being productive.  However it's my storage that is taking the heat.  I can't do more than music files and audio stuff before my storage gets to 80% usage.  It's already got only 20% left storage and I have 128GB.  Which is why I am looking at the 512GB option.  No more cloud storage horribleness.  I need my files on the fly not loaded from some cloud server.

Plus, I'm paying like $200/yr for Google Drive to get at least 200 more GBs to use.  It's trash, slow, and I have good Internet.  But why spend $200/year when I could spend $500?  On a one and done purchase?

I'm okay with learning a new UI!  I love new things and tinkering with new phones but as long as my $1K promotion comes out on promotion, I'll totally get it.

Getting it in March early first weekend.

I can't wait for it!  Saw some reviews and it seems to be a worthwhile investment.  Plus it's bigger.  My hands are big.  And no way on gods green earth am I getting an iPhone that ain't made by Steve Jobs.  Rip the big man.  He made apple good and when he died apple died.

That's a rant for another day.

Thanks for the information on the S24 Ultra!  I'm sold on it!

22 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Oh no my phone is fantastic at being productive.  However it's my storage that is taking the heat.  I can't do more than music files and audio stuff before my storage gets to 80% usage.  It's already got only 20% left storage and I have 128GB.  Which is why I am looking at the 512GB option.  No more cloud storage horribleness.  I need my files on the fly not loaded from some cloud server.

Plus, I'm paying like $200/yr for Google Drive to get at least 200 more GBs to use.  It's trash, slow, and I have good Internet.  But why spend $200/year when I could spend $500?  On a one and done purchase?

I'm okay with learning a new UI!  I love new things and tinkering with new phones but as long as my $1K promotion comes out on promotion, I'll totally get it.

Getting it in March early first weekend.

I can't wait for it!  Saw some reviews and it seems to be a worthwhile investment.  Plus it's bigger.  My hands are big.  And no way on gods green earth am I getting an iPhone that ain't made by Steve Jobs.  Rip the big man.  He made apple good and when he died apple died.

That's a rant for another day.

Thanks for the information on the S24 Ultra!  I'm sold on it!

No problem! Hope your new phone is gonna be great (and it will be)

if you need anything else just tag me

Current parts list

2 hours ago, filpo said:

No problem! Hope your new phone is gonna be great (and it will be)

if you need anything else just tag me

You think the promo will last till March 30th since the 512GB comes out on the 28th of February?  It's only been on for 3 weeks.  But you think it'll go past a month?

7 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

comes out on the 28th of February?

it doesn't come out on the 28th. I think you'll get it on the 28th image.png.27ad7fe8a6de2ef03711bdee879da2a9.png

7 hours ago, APCNewbie209 said:

But you think it'll go past a month?

I'd say order it now to be safe. And you'll get it near the end of the month. Are you okay with that?

Current parts list

7 hours ago, filpo said:

it doesn't come out on the 28th. I think you'll get it on the 28th image.png.27ad7fe8a6de2ef03711bdee879da2a9.png

I'd say order it now to be safe. And you'll get it near the end of the month. Are you okay with that?

Smart move old sport.  Turns out I had more money than I realized and I can get it next weekend when my check comes in.  I'll have a good $400 to cover taxes.

I'll see if I can work it into my Saturday schedule, hopefully I'll have enough time to at least place an order for it!  

Much obliged for the assistance.  It sucks they don't tell us when promos like this end.  Turns out the other models have been out for 3 weeks so it's only a matter of time till they aren't on promotion.  I'll let you know how it goes next week.

This phone is a dream of mine.  8K 30Hz video footage?  4K 120Hz video footage?  4K 60HZ HDR footage?  This will be great for videos and photography!  Also it's a big phone.  I got big hands.  It's like 6.5 Inches or something like that.  Massive eh?  Gonna be a great investment!  

Also when did phones start having half a TB worth of data on them?  That's news to a boomer like me!

14 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Smart move old sport.  Turns out I had more money than I realized and I can get it next weekend when my check comes in.  I'll have a good $400 to cover taxes.

I'll see if I can work it into my Saturday schedule, hopefully I'll have enough time to at least place an order for it!  

Much obliged for the assistance.  It sucks they don't tell us when promos like this end.  Turns out the other models have been out for 3 weeks so it's only a matter of time till they aren't on promotion.  I'll let you know how it goes next week.

Nice!

14 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

It's like 6.5 Inches or something like that

6.8 at WQHD 120hz (but you can reduce it to FHD for slightly longer battery life since PPI at WQHD is 505)

image.png.9aa4926694a43080d0c29554aac9ccba.png

15 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

Also when did phones start having half a TB worth of data on them?

I think from about 2022 or maybe 2021 with the s21/13 pro. That is a crazy amount and I can't even think about using all that with the 64gb I have on my Xr 😄

16 minutes ago, APCNewbie209 said:

8K 30Hz video footage?  4K 120Hz video footage?  4K 60HZ HDR footage?  This will be great for videos and photography!

it's also got 4k slow mo, only at 120fps. Still not bad and I think you can get up to 480 fps with 1080p

If you wanna know more about the camera Mrwhosetheboss did a great camera test with the next best thing from apple, the 15 pro

Current parts list

34 minutes ago, filpo said:

Nice!

6.8 at WQHD 120hz (but you can reduce it to FHD for slightly longer battery life since PPI at WQHD is 505)

image.png.9aa4926694a43080d0c29554aac9ccba.png

I think from about 2022 or maybe 2021 with the s21/13 pro. That is a crazy amount and I can't even think about using all that with the 64gb I have on my Xr 😄

it's also got 4k slow mo, only at 120fps. Still not bad and I think you can get up to 480 fps with 1080p

If you wanna know more about the camera Mrwhosetheboss did a great camera test with the next best thing from apple, the 15 pro

Holy crap!  My Motorola Z2 Play had bloody 20GB and 10GB of them were used by bloatware back in the day.  

When I got a pixel 5, it had 64GB if I remember right.  Then I upgraded to the Pixel 7 for $200 USD.  It's a grand little phone.  But I would love to have more storage.  I barely have room for emulation and games.  But now, I will 100% be able to play basically anything.

I'm getting an 8-Bit Do SN30 Pro with a mobile clip for gaming on my way down to Australia.  This phone should last me years to come.  It's productive, great build construction, photography, etc.  

It's going to be a brilliant phone.