Need expert assistance finding the best RAM and CPU to go with my GPU - Asus TUF Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC edition 24gb

Hello!

I am currently planning a new mid to high end build around Asus TUF Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC edition 24gb and needed some expert assistance on what the best CPU and RAM would be to pair with this card.  I will be using this machine for gaming at 2k/4k and work which includes some basic video editing and other general stuff. 

From my research, one of the most obvious choices appears to be one of the consensus best CPUs the Ryzen 7800X3D but I know there is a strong competitor from the intel side of things. With respect to RAM, I have the choice of going with Corsair or G.Skill for brands and will need a 32gig kit, but other than that, I have no idea what the best RAM kit would be to pair with this GPU and the recommended CPU.

In short, I need expert assistance with what the best CPU and RAM (Corsair or G. Skill) kits would be to pair with my RX 7900XTX OC 24gb GPU. To prevent any user error on my end, please provide  a direct link to your recommendation, and an additional detailed explanation for your recommendation would be tremendously helpful and appreciated.  

3 minutes ago, EnSabahNur said:

best CPUs the Ryzen 7800X3D

Yes

4 minutes ago, EnSabahNur said:

is a strong competitor from the intel side of things.

Not really, there's budget arguments to be made below $200 for LGA 1700 and for some very specific games/applications, a 14900k will beat out a 7950x/x3D, but usually at substantially higher power draw. Unless there's a reason to not go with AMD specifically, then the 7800x3D is unfortunately the default choice for high end gaming. Almost no one needs the 7950x3D, but there are few, and those consumers usually don't have to ask, so 7800x3D it is.

6 minutes ago, EnSabahNur said:

In short, I need expert assistance with what the best CPU and RAM (Corsair or G. Skill) kits would be to pair with my RX 7900XTX OC 24gb GPU. To prevent any user error on my end, please provide  a direct link to your recommendation, and an additional detailed explanation for your recommendation would be tremendously helpful and appreciated.  

2x16GB 6000MHz CL30 30-36-36-76 kits are usually the best value in 2024. Low and tight timings, 6000MHz being the sweet spot for performance/stability on Ryzen 7000. In general, CL30 ktis will be 30-38-38-96 or 30-36-36-76, the lower and tighter being the best.

Regarding a specific link, you'll have to be more specific since I generally stick to lower profile non-RGB RAM which isn't the norm in 2024.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

6 minutes ago, EnSabahNur said:

one of the most obvious choices appears to be one of the consensus best CPUs the Ryzen 7800X3D but I know there is a strong competitor from the intel side of things.

The 7800X3D really is going to be the best pick here. It's going to be good enough for basic video editing and most general office work, but for gaming it's in a whole other league compared to anything Intel has in pretty much anything but Final Fantasy and Starfield while drawing less than half the amount of power. Where Intel shines is when you need multi core performance for more advanced video editing and other workstation tasks, but since you aren't really doing that, the 7800X3D really is the better pick. 

10 minutes ago, EnSabahNur said:

With respect to RAM, I have the choice of going with Corsair or G.Skill for brands and will need a 32gig kit, but other than that, I have no idea what the best RAM kit would be to pair with this GPU and the recommended CPU

If you're going 7800X3D, the RAM doesn't really matter all that much. Ideally, you'll get a kit rated at 6000 CL30 or 6000 CL32 (the brand does not matter for this, everything performs identically so just get something cheap), though this isn't as big a deal as it is with other Ryzen chips. 

15 minutes ago, EnSabahNur said:

From my research, one of the most obvious choices appears to be one of the consensus best CPUs the Ryzen 7800X3D but I know there is a strong competitor from the intel side of things.

The 14700 isn't a bad gaming CPU, but the benefit is primarily for productivity or mixed usage, I'd still get the 7800X3D for a gaming build.

5 minutes ago, Agall said:

Yes

Not really, there's budget arguments to be made below $200 for LGA 1700 and for some very specific games/applications, a 14900k will beat out a 7950x/x3D, but usually at substantially higher power draw. Unless there's a reason to not go with AMD specifically, then the 7800x3D is unfortunately the default choice for high end gaming. Almost no one needs the 7950x3D, but there are few, and those consumers usually don't have to ask, so 7800x3D it is.

2x16GB 6000MHz CL30 30-36-36-76 kits are usually the best value in 2024. Low and tight timings, 6000MHz being the sweet spot for performance/stability on Ryzen 7000. In general, CL30 ktis will be 30-38-38-96 or 30-36-36-76, the lower and tighter being the best.

Regarding a specific link, you'll have to be more specific since I generally stick to lower profile non-RGB RAM which isn't the norm in 2024.

Oh, so it really does seem like the 7800X3D is the best of the best, as you seem to be echoing the same sentiments as what I've been reading for quite a while about best bang for your buck CPU. 

- With respect to RAM, I am looking for the best performing Corsair or G. Skill RGB RAM, which to my knowledge, would be either the Dominator or Trident Z Neo series, but I have no idea which speeds and timings would be best, so I'd be so grateful for a direct Amazon link to the best option (a direct Amazon link to the CPU would also be greatly appreciated just to be sure I don't order the wrong stuff).

Thanks again.

3 minutes ago, EnSabahNur said:

Oh, so it really does seem like the 7800X3D is the best of the best, as you seem to be echoing the same sentiments as what I've been reading for quite a while about best bang for your buck CPU. 

- With respect to RAM, I am looking for the best performing Corsair or G. Skill RGB RAM, which to my knowledge, would be either the Dominator or Trident Z Neo series, but I have no idea which speeds and timings would be best, so I'd be so grateful for a direct Amazon link to the best option (a direct Amazon link to the CPU would also be greatly appreciated just to be sure I don't order the wrong stuff).

Thanks again.

I generally stay away from Amazon for PC hardware for various reasons.

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) XMP 3.0 AMD EXPO Desktop Memory Model CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K - Newegg.com

Same model number as this listing on Amazon

CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz CL30 AMD EXPO iCUE Compatible Computer Memory - Gray (CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K) at Amazon.com

So, it should be the same, but it doesn't appear Amazon lists sub timings so I can't confirm.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

3 hours ago, Agall said:

I generally stay away from Amazon for PC hardware for various reasons.

CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000) XMP 3.0 AMD EXPO Desktop Memory Model CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K - Newegg.com

Same model number as this listing on Amazon

CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB DDR5 RAM 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MHz CL30 AMD EXPO iCUE Compatible Computer Memory - Gray (CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30K) at Amazon.com

So, it should be the same, but it doesn't appear Amazon lists sub timings so I can't confirm.

Thanks so much for the links. 

One of the last questions I have is if there is any benefit at all in pairing an AMD processor with an AMD GPU like the Radeon over an Nvidia card? I want to say that I read something once that described some potential benefits/features that you may have access to when you pair an AMD processor with an AMD discrete GPU. Can you shine some light on this and if pairing an AMD CPU and GPU has any kind of benefit over simply paring an AMD CPU with an Nvidia GPU?

13 hours ago, EnSabahNur said:

One of the last questions I have is if there is any benefit at all in pairing an AMD processor with an AMD GPU like the Radeon over an Nvidia card? I want to say that I read something once that described some potential benefits/features that you may have access to when you pair an AMD processor with an AMD discrete GPU. Can you shine some light on this and if pairing an AMD CPU and GPU has any kind of benefit over simply paring an AMD CPU with an Nvidia GPU?

You're probably thinking of SAM?

14 hours ago, EnSabahNur said:

Thanks so much for the links. 

One of the last questions I have is if there is any benefit at all in pairing an AMD processor with an AMD GPU like the Radeon over an Nvidia card? 

Not really, the only advantage really is that the software comes from the same place. Otherwise, there's thankfully no feature gatekeeping done by AMD behind using this combination.

Team 'Christmas' has been BIS for a while now, specifically when the 5800x3D came out. 7800x3D being its natural successor which maintained the performance gap expectation that 3D v-cache provides. 

One common misconception with the 7800x3D is the expectation of a giant cooler to keep it cooled. Its at most a 120W part compared to double of its competition, but even then while gaming, its a ~40-45W part. It'll just run hotter than a normal CPU because of the 3D v-cache mod, where it'll reach its thermal limit reliably in most scenarios.

The solution to that is delidding, but that's such a risky mod that its simply not worth it for 99.9% of people. I've had to fight the urge to do it especially considering AM5's expected longevity, so buying a $80 delidding kit in the first generation of a few that I could use it on.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

On 2/8/2024 at 6:40 AM, Agall said:

Not really, the only advantage really is that the software comes from the same place. Otherwise, there's thankfully no feature gatekeeping done by AMD behind using this combination.

Team 'Christmas' has been BIS for a while now, specifically when the 5800x3D came out. 7800x3D being its natural successor which maintained the performance gap expectation that 3D v-cache provides. 

One common misconception with the 7800x3D is the expectation of a giant cooler to keep it cooled. Its at most a 120W part compared to double of its competition, but even then while gaming, its a ~40-45W part. It'll just run hotter than a normal CPU because of the 3D v-cache mod, where it'll reach its thermal limit reliably in most scenarios.

The solution to that is delidding, but that's such a risky mod that its simply not worth it for 99.9% of people. I've had to fight the urge to do it especially considering AM5's expected longevity, so buying a $80 delidding kit in the first generation of a few that I could use it on.

Thank you so much for all the help. It notice that 3D cache is advertised on the 5800 but not the 7800's box, but the 7800 does in fact have the same 3D V-cache feature as the 5800 does, correct? It would seem weird that the 5800x3d has any feature that the 7800x3d does not, so I figure this is just a minor difference in their packaging. 

Moreover, is this exactly the correct GPU suggested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BTZB7F88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ?

Just want to be absolutely sure that I purchased the correct 7800x3d that's been suggested here and ensure that I didn't mess anything up with the order. Thanks again. 

1 minute ago, EnSabahNur said:

Thank you so much for all the help. It notice that 3D cache is advertised on the 5800 but not the 7800's box, but the 7800 does in fact have the same 3D V-cache feature as the 5800 does, correct? It would seem weird that the 5800x3d has any feature that the 7800x3d does not, so I figure this is just a minor difference in their packaging. 

Moreover, is this exactly the correct GPU suggested: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BTZB7F88/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ?

Just want to be absolutely sure that I purchased the correct 7800x3d that's been suggested here and ensure that I didn't mess anything up with the order. Thanks again. 

7800x3D does have the +64MB of L3 cache mod done to what is effectively a R7 7700.

I personally stay away from Amazon in general, especially for computer hardware, but that listing looks proper.

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

7 minutes ago, EnSabahNur said:

It notice that 3D cache is advertised on the 5800 but not the 7800's box, but the 7800

It is on the box, top left on the front.

7 minutes ago, Tetras said:

It is on the box, top left on the front.

Ooops, you right. My apologies and thank you for catching that. It looks like I found the correct 7800x3d CPU, indeed, which is a relief, lol.