WiFi connection speed problem

Campus0

Hello there. I am writing this post because I have noticed from quite a long time that my PC WiFi speeds are A LOT slower than my phone WiFi speed (I have an IPhone 12). 
I did the Ookla Speedtest on both my devices and I got:

Iphone: 79mbps download and 86mbps upload

PC: 24mbps down and 4mbps up

I can’t find a reason to this problem, since my pc is quite good, altough I don’t know much about my network/Wifi receiver. 
If anyone could help me I would be thankful.

8 hours ago, Campus0 said:

Hello there. I am writing this post because I have noticed from quite a long time that my PC WiFi speeds are A LOT slower than my phone WiFi speed (I have an IPhone 12). 
I did the Ookla Speedtest on both my devices and I got:

Iphone: 79mbps download and 86mbps upload

PC: 24mbps down and 4mbps up

I can’t find a reason to this problem, since my pc is quite good, altough I don’t know much about my network/Wifi receiver. 
If anyone could help me I would be thankful.

1. What speeds are you paying for from your ISP? Look at the contract or advertised package.
  2. Run a speed test from your PC directly connected to the ISP device using ethernet.
  3. What is the make/model of your ISP device and any router/switch/AP on your network.
  4. What is the make/model of your PC's WiFi adapter?
  5. How far is your PC from the wireless source? Any walls or floors in between?

Also if your router is in front of the PC and the PC only has antennas on the back, the PC itself could be blocking the signal.

High-end PCs usually come with antennas you can put on top of the PC for this reason and you can easily find these on eBay from people who aren't using WiFi.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

18 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:
  1. What speeds are you paying for from your ISP? Look at the contract or advertised package.
  2. Run a speed test from your PC directly connected to the ISP device using ethernet.
  3. What is the make/model of your ISP device and any router/switch/AP on your network.
  4. What is the make/model of your PC's WiFi adapter?
  5. How far is your PC from the wireless source? Any walls or floors in between?

1. The speeds I pay should be more than 100mbps on down and up

2. I can’t run the speed test with an Ethernet cable

3. I don’t know…

4. My WiFi adapter on my pc is the Tp-link 802.11ac

5. My pc is really far from my router with many walls, but on the same floor. Altough I have some extenders I believe (they look like ufo or disks)

5 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Also if your router is in front of the PC and the PC only has antennas on the back, the PC itself could be blocking the signal.

High-end PCs usually come with antennas you can put on top of the PC for this reason and you can easily find these on eBay from people who aren't using WiFi.

Yes my pc comes with 2 antennas on the back (cables side) idk where to point them since my router is a lot further from them and I can’t point them directly to it

3 hours ago, Campus0 said:

Which specific model are you using? 

And what is your WiFi router? 

Do you have a screenshot of the connection from Windows that shows the Link speed? 

And anything from your router that shows how the client is connected to the WiFi...Protocol (e.g 802.11ac), and SNR / dB. Also anything that shows how your wifi is configured e.g Channel Width

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

15 hours ago, Campus0 said:

3. I don’t know…

So you don't have physical access to the hardware to take a look at it?

This is very non-specific. Open your PC's hardware properties and get the model.

5. My pc is really far from my router with many walls, but on the same floor. Altough I have some extenders I believe (they look like ufo or disks)

WiFi signal strength drops with distance and physical obstruction. Poorly placed extenders or repeaters can repeat weak signals which don't help the situation. Try power-cycling everything.

Run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer and post the analyses for the 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies.

9 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

So you don't have physical access to the hardware to take a look at it?

This is very non-specific. Open your PC's hardware properties and get the model.

WiFi signal strength drops with distance and physical obstruction. Poorly placed extenders or repeaters can repeat weak signals which don't help the situation. Try power-cycling everything.

Run a wireless survey using WiFi Analyzer and post the analyses for the 2.4 and 5GHz frequencies.

The problem is that idk how to see my pc hardware properties and also what’s weird is that I get very good speeds on my phone but not on my pc

22 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Which specific model are you using? 

And what is your WiFi router? 

Do you have a screenshot of the connection from Windows that shows the Link speed? 

And anything from your router that shows how the client is connected to the WiFi...Protocol (e.g 802.11ac), and SNR / dB. Also anything that shows how your wifi is configured e.g Channel Width

How do I check the specific model I use and how do I see how my WiFi is configured?

On 2/9/2024 at 3:21 PM, Campus0 said:

The problem is that idk how to see my pc hardware properties...

On Windows, right-click the Start/Windows button and select Device Manager. Look under 'Network adapters'.

You can also click Start/Windows and search for wifi settings. In the window that appears, click on your network's SSID and scroll down. You should see your adapter's model and link speed details like this...

spacer.png

On 2/9/2024 at 3:21 PM, Campus0 said:

...also what’s weird is that I get very good speeds on my phone but not on my pc

Well, that's the whole reason for the troubleshooting.

With the limited information you are able to provide, we have to make a lot of assumptions. One is that your phone should be getting close to the maximal speeds of your network since wireless chipsets and antennae on smart phones tend to be a bit better than those in a PC.

Secondly, since you can't directly wire in to the router or ISP device, we are to assume that this is a desktop that can't be moved. WiFi antennae on desktops have very limited adjustments to get optimal reception, unless if you have one of those adapters on a USB extension cable. They are also subject to signal attenuation from obstructions.

Your wireless router's signal is not radiating at 100% strength in all directions. It's likely omnidirectional and will drop off due to distance, obstruction and interference. Even then, some client WiFi adapters are better optimized for reception. But expect that as you go further, speeds will drop.

On 2/9/2024 at 3:22 PM, Campus0 said:

How do I check the specific model I use...

Go to the router or ISP device. Pick it up. Turn it over. Look for the brand or any sticker on it that identifies its model.

On 2/9/2024 at 3:22 PM, Campus0 said:

...and how do I see how my WiFi is configured?

You'll have to log in to the router or ISP device's administration panel.