Installing Windows on a new computer and Windows License

Hi! I'm sorry if this has been covered before (probably has but couldnt find the exact info I need in other topics), but I just built a new computer and I am ready to install windows.
I have bought a license (Windows 10 Home, still CD version, about 8 years ago) for this computer I am using now, old one, and I was wondering if I can use this license key to activate a windows 11 on the new machine once it's installed.
Also, by doing that, will my old computer have it's windows deactivated automatically or do I need to do it myself? or, is it really necessary at all to deactivate it on the old one to be able to work on the new machine?

Thank you in advance!

Yes, you can use a Windows 10 product key to activate Windows 11, the same version will transfer over, e.g. Home to Home and Pro to Pro. Also, you do not need to deactivate your old pc, a singular key can be used multiple times.

Apprentice Software Developer

5 minutes ago, TheProGamer said:

Yes, you can use a Windows 10 product key to activate Windows 11, the same version will transfer over, e.g. Home to Home and Pro to Pro. Also, you do not need to deactivate your old pc, a singular key can be used multiple times.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Thats where I get confused. If a single key can be used multiple times, why do people pirate licenses? ex, lets say I didnt have a key, I could just get a friends key and use it on my computer, my wife's, other friend's etc. Is that really how it works?
Not doubting what you're saying at all, but theres so much info online that at the end you end up not really knowing what to do exactly.

9 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Thanks for the quick reply!
Thats where I get confused. If a single key can be used multiple times, why do people pirate licenses? ex, lets say I didnt have a key, I could just get a friends key and use it on my computer, my wife's, other friend's etc. Is that really how it works?
Not doubting what you're saying at all, but theres so much info online that at the end you end up not really knowing what to do exactly.

Depending on the license. Most of the time, it only works on a single PC at a time. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

1 minute ago, DoctorNick said:

Depending on the license. Most of the time, it only works on a single PC at a time. 

In that case, would I need to manually deactivate my old one or is it automatic from the moment I activate it on the new one?

Just now, xMIDIMA said:

In that case, would I need to manually deactivate my old one or is it automatic from the moment I activate it on the new one?

I think this can help: https://www.tomshardware.com/how-to/transfer-windows-license-to-new-pc

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

41 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

I have bought a license (Windows 10 Home[..])

If it was Retail license, it's transferable, if OEM — not...

Deactivating the License on the Old PC

The first step is deactivating the license on your old PC. This is an important step as it ensures that the license is no longer in use on the old device and can be used on the new one.

To access and deactivate your license key on the old PC:

1. Open the Settings app 
  2. go to the "Update & Security" section.
  3. Click on the "Activation" tab, and your license key will be displayed. 
  4. Make a note of this key or take a screenshot, as you will need it later when activating the license on the new PC.
  5. Click on the "Deactivate" button. This will release the license from the old PC and make it available for use on the new one.

If you experience any issues during deactivation, try restarting your old PC and then follow the process again.

Activating the License on the New PC

Once the license has been deactivated on the old PC, you can activate it on the new PC.

To access and activate the license key on the new PC:

1. Go to the Settings app.
  2. Go to the "Update & Security" section. 
  3. Click on the "Activation" tab and enter the license key from the old PC.
  4. Click on the "Activate" button, and the license should be activated on the new PC.

ad infinitum

Let's say I sell the old computer, All I need to do then is format the computer and use that key on the new one, right? That way everything would be alright, no deactivation or transfer needed

2 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Let's say I sell the old computer, All I need to do then is format the computer and use that key on the new one, right? That way everything would be alright, no deactivation or transfer needed

I don't think you even have to do that. My drive I used for Windows over the course of 12 years or so has gone through 4 different motherboards.  It has never had a problem loading up windows from that drive.

7 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

I don't think you even have to do that. My drive I used for Windows over the course of 12 years or so has gone through 4 different motherboards.  It has never had a problem loading up windows from that drive.

But did you have windows activated in more than 1 computer at the same time?

4 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

But did you have windows activated in more than 1 computer at the same time?

I never physically deactivated windows. I would say since I was using the same drive Windows was active on it wasn't a problem or issue. But if you're using a completely seperate drive with your Windows key then yeah I think you need to deactivate for it to work on the other system.

2 minutes ago, fade2black001 said:

I never physically deactivated windows. I would say since I was using the same drive Windows was active on it wasn't a problem or issue. But if you're using a completely seperate drive with your Windows key then yeah I think you need to deactivate for it to work on the other system.

You don't, I've never deactivated Windows even when doing a completely fresh install on a different PC.  But I've never had the old still running to see when it deactivates itself either, but I'd think the next time you go online it would.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Alrighty then. I'll install windows with the "i dont have a key yet" (or something like that) option and when im ready to disassemble the old pc to sell, i'll put in the key that im using right now on the new one. That should do it, right? 
Thanks guys! 🙂

Okay, I just found out i have an OEM key...
That means the license is tied to my MB, right? 
So, new PC, new license? damn.

22 minutes ago, xMIDIMA said:

Okay, I just found out i have an OEM key...
That means the license is tied to my MB, right? 
So, new PC, new license? damn.

Try it on the new PC. If it doesn't work, get another OEM license for cheap. I think the folks are right in that you don't need to remove the old license. Haven't really used another key for a very long time. Got a enterprise license. 

FS in Denmark/EU:

I'll try that! thank you