Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra processor scam?

Gat Pelsinger

Is Samsung literally scamming us with the S24 Ultra? Some like US made phones or whatever have Snapdragon 8 gen 3, but here in my country they ship with an Exynos 2400. But, the gen3, like obviously, is like 15 - 30% faster in both CPU and GPU scenarios, and the worst part is, the price isn't even that low! Okay, it is a bit lower, but that is to be expected as Samsung has factories in our country, so it is effectively the same price for a slower model? It's a shame that the one guy who actually buys that phone (lol) doesn't even get the luxury power of the gen 3 at the same price! Why did Samsung do that?

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

4 minutes ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Is Samsung literally scamming us with the S24 Ultra? Some like US made phones or whatever have Snapdragon 8 gen 3, but here in my country they ship with an Exynos 2400. But, the gen3, like obviously, is like 15 - 30% faster in both CPU and GPU scenarios, and the worst part is, the price isn't even that low! Okay, it is a bit lower, but that is to be expected as Samsung has factories in our country, so it is effectively the same price for a slower model? It's a shame that the one guy who actually buys that phone (lol) doesn't even get the luxury power of the gen 3 at the same price! Why did Samsung do that?

Could be a number of reason like licensing issues etc. Idk what country youre from but i know america is limiting GPUs leaving to go to china because of the AI processing in them, possibly a similar solution on samsungs part to abide by laws or licenses or something wherever you live?

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

This is not a new thing, it's always been like this. To me I would still consider the non-US model superior as traditionally they have bootloaders that can be unlocked (recent US models can not be, at least not easily), and then they also received custom ROM support. 

Even as a US citizen, if I were to buy a Samsung device at this point it would be a Exynos based one at this point just so I could run the software that I wanted. 

From what I can find the S24 Ultra has an Snapdragon 8 gen 3 no matter the region. What region are you in OP?

The regular 24 and 24+ are region specific when it comes to the SOC, for example Europe gets the Exynos 2400 and America / Canada? get the Snapdragon versions

My Rig: CPU : 10700K | RAM : Trident Z Neo 3600Mhz c16 32G (4x8) | CPU cooler : NHD15 | GPU : ASUS ProArt 4070 | PSU : Corsair RM850 (black label) | CASE : Corsair 5000D Airflow | Storage : Samsung 970 evo 1TB, WD Black 1TB, Samsung evo 850 Sata SSD | Casefans : Lian Li Unifan SL120 7X|

MOUSE : G Pro Wireless X superlight | Keyboard : Keychron C1- Pro-H1 Gateron Milky Reds

1 hour ago, Gat Pelsinger said:

Is Samsung literally scamming us with the S24 Ultra?

No, they are not "scamming" you. People need to stop misusing the word "scam".

Some like US made phones or whatever have Snapdragon 8 gen 3, but here in my country they ship with an Exynos 2400.

The S24 Ultra has the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 in all countries, including yours.

But, the gen3, like obviously, is like 15 - 30% faster in both CPU and GPU scenarios

Is it really? The benchmarks I have seen do not show this at all. In fact, the benchmarks I have shown indicate that the Exynos is very similar and in some cases even beats the SD8gen3.

Why did Samsung do that?

There are several reasons, but the main reason seems to be that they want leverage against Qualcomm.

Qualcomm is quite the "greedy" company (even for a for-profit company), and has even even gone into lawsuits regarding their pricing structures.

We, the end customers and customers like Samsung, really don't want to end up in a situation where they have to rely on Qualcomm, because if we end up in such a situation Qualcomm will for sure increase their prices by a lot. We don't want to become dependant on a single SoC manufacturer. So what Samsung does is develop their own processors and constantly threaten Qualcomm to drop them completely unless Qualcomm plays ball and keep their pricing at somewhat reasonable levels.

Samsung is Qualcomm's biggest customer by far, so Qualcomm is scared that Samsung will abandon them. As a result, we end up in a situation where Samsung is basically investing money into their own processors in order to keep Qualcomm from raising the prices of their processors.

It's also important to remember that Exynos has at several times in the past been better than Snapdragon chips. It's just that for the last 5 or so generations the Snapdragon chips have been better. Kind of like how Intel had quite a lot of years of dominance in the PC CPU space until AMD released its Ryzen lineup.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/6/2024 at 5:48 AM, LAwLz said:

The S24 Ultra has the Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 in all countries, including yours.

this is what I thought, curious what the complaint is about? all countries have a sd chip and the exynos is 30 percent slower, confused as the titled mentions s24 ultra.

2 hours ago, jre84 said:

this is what I thought, curious what the complaint is about? all countries have a sd chip and the exynos is 30 percent slower, confused as the titled mentions s24 ultra.

30% slower? As I said earlier, the benchmarks I've seen indicate that they are really close. We're talking about 5% difference, not 30%. 

yeah, I guess people get bored and just want conversation. I didn't fully understand what the point was? you get what you get.  Old and grumpy I am.