3D Printer Maintenance Questions

Go to solution Solved by FlyingPotato_is_taken,
34 minutes ago, MossyStone said:

How frequently should the nozzles be cleaned?

On my printer it's automated and done before each print or toolhead change.

What is the recommended interval for changing the auto feeder for the filament?

Never. Kinda.

Wait till issues start showing up. Depending on the filmant and how well it is tuned this might never happen.

35 minutes ago, MossyStone said:
  • Is it necessary to oil the bearings and gears, and if so, how often?
  •  

Roughly once per month.  

Some printer manuals do this far more frequently after 100 hours which would be once per week.

36 minutes ago, MossyStone said:
  • How often should the nozzle, hotend, and Bowden tubing be replaced?

Nozzle? Once there is noticeable wear or it's blocked. WIth hardened nozzles this would be likely never unless you print abrasive materials.

With Brass I would say every 2-5kg.

Bowden? They due wear but that's so infrequent that I would say never. Just replace it once it's broken.

Heater + thermistor? Once you notice unusual behaviour. This is roughly once to twice a year.

38 minutes ago, MossyStone said:
  • Can the hot plate be cleaned with alcohol, or is water the preferred method?

RTFM.

Most hot plates can be cleaned with IPA. Once in a while rinse it with soap water.

How often do you need to clean it? In case of long prints before each print. With short prints 1-2 times per day.

Hello everyone,

Our workplace has recently acquired two Ender 3 Printers, and I'm in the process of understanding their maintenance requirements. I've come across some mixed information regarding what is necessary versus what can be done on a monthly or yearly basis. I have a few questions regarding the printers:

• How frequently should the nozzles be cleaned?
  • What is the recommended interval for changing the auto feeder for the filament?

Any additional tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated. I apologize if this information is repetitive. I didn't see anything in the mega thread over maintenance .

How frequently should the nozzles be cleaned?

What is the recommended interval for changing the auto feeder for the filament?

Never. Kinda.

Wait till issues start showing up. Depending on the filmant and how well it is tuned this might never happen.

35 minutes ago, MossyStone said:
  •  

Roughly once per month.  

Some printer manuals do this far more frequently after 100 hours which would be once per week.

36 minutes ago, MossyStone said:

Nozzle? Once there is noticeable wear or it's blocked. WIth hardened nozzles this would be likely never unless you print abrasive materials.

Bowden? They due wear but that's so infrequent that I would say never. Just replace it once it's broken.

Heater + thermistor? Once you notice unusual behaviour. This is roughly once to twice a year.

38 minutes ago, MossyStone said:

RTFM.

Most hot plates can be cleaned with IPA. Once in a while rinse it with soap water.

How often do you need to clean it? In case of long prints before each print. With short prints 1-2 times per day.

People never go out of business.

19 hours ago, FlyingPotato_is_taken said:

Never. Kinda.

Roughly once per month.  

RTFM.

Thank you so much!