Best software to rip CD to Flac for free or cheap

josh_05

Hey guys just after some options for ripping software, I've heard some do a better job than others and i would also like it to be able to automatically get album art, name, and even fill in all the attributes if possible.

Thanks

I'm considering it, just not sure if i want to have to deal with ALAC instead of Flac.

Exact Audio Copy

it's free

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

I think media monkey rips to FLAC for free.

- Silverstone TJ08B-E - Gigabyte Z87M-D3H - i7 4770k @ 4.0GHZ 1.2v - 16gb Kingston HyperX Black 1600 - Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB -

- Silverstone Fortress FT02 - MSI Z77 Mpower - i5 3570k @ 4.0GHZ 1.09v - 8gb Mushkin Blackline 1600 - MSI GTX 670 PE -

- Lenovo T430 (1600x900) - i5 3210m - 8GB DDR3 1333 - nVidia NVS5400M - 256GB mSATA OS - 320GB HDD-

Thanks guys, i ended up going with dbpoweramp its $38 but it has a 21 day unrestricted trial so i thought i would try it. I'm going to try Exact Audio Copy as well as these 2 were the most recommended i could find and see if db is worth its money next to Exact Audio Copy.

Thanks guys, i ended up going with dbpoweramp its $38 but it has a 21 day unrestricted trial so i thought i would try it. I'm going to try Exact Audio Copy as well as these 2 were the most recommended i could find and see if db is worth its money next to Exact Audio Copy.

The quality of your rip will be tied to the quality of your CD drive.  You'll probably find a list of good drives for ripping CDs if you dig deep enough.

"Pardon my French but this is just about the most ignorant blanket statement I've ever read. And though this is the internet, I'm not even exaggerating."

it's all digital, the cd drive shouldn't matter.

I use sound juicer to rip to flac and then convert with sound converter for ogg on my phone.

Will work for electronic components and parts

Reviews: Meelec CC51P - Monoprice 8323 - Koss Porta Pros  - Shure SRH-440 - Shure SRH-550DJShure SRH-840 - Hifiman He-500 - iBasso D4 - o2 Amplifier  -  SkeletonDac

Depending on how serious you are about bit-perfect ripping, the CD drive DOES matter. Regardless of the fact that a CD is digital, it is still a physical media and going from physical to electronic always has a chance of error.

That said, Media Monkey does great at ripping to FLAC - I do it all the time.

The quality of your rip will be tied to the quality of your CD drive.  You'll probably find a list of good drives for ripping CDs if you dig deep enough.

I use sound juicer to rip to flac and then convert with sound converter for ogg on my phone.

Depending on how serious you are about bit-perfect ripping, the CD drive DOES matter. Regardless of the fact that a CD is digital, it is still a physical media and going from physical to electronic always has a chance of error.

That said, Media Monkey does great at ripping to FLAC - I do it all the time.

I'm using an old NEC  ND-2500a external DVD-RW drive, so far I've only had a few songs come back saying "inaccurate" and one track that said "error". I couldn't find much on my drive when i searched to see if it was any good for ripping or not.

I'm using an old NEC  ND-2500a external DVD-RW drive, so far I've only had a few songs come back saying "inaccurate" and one track that said "error". I couldn't find much on my drive when i searched to see if it was any good for ripping or not.

Sure, I'd say just about every CD drive is fine for ripping, but when t0wer says "it's all digital, the cd drive shouldn't matter" leads to a logical misconception that anything digital can't have errors. Some audiophiles will only buy very expensive CD drives, will only rip at 1x speeds, and will only play the file after it has been checked for bit-perfect accuracy a bazillion different ways.

Foobar2000. It's free open-source program that is, solely in my opinion, the best sound player/ripping software there is.

Sure, I'd say just about every CD drive is fine for ripping, but when t0wer says "it's all digital, the cd drive shouldn't matter" leads to a logical misconception that anything digital can't have errors. Some audiophiles will only buy very expensive CD drives, will only rip at 1x speeds, and will only play the file after it has been checked for bit-perfect accuracy a bazillion different ways.

Yeah i remember back in the day when i would burn an album it was always better to do it at 4x or lower for better quality, i never really looked in to why but i can recall a few people telling me...

Foobar2000. It's free open-source program that is, solely in my opinion, the best sound player/ripping software there is.

I'll check it out :) thanks.

dBpoweramp is also pretty awesome, you should check it out :)

That's what i'm using :) when i was searching most people on various audio forums were recommending that or Exact Audio Copy... What sucks is i just did 20 or so albums without the best configuration meh.

http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/overview/basic-technology/accurate-rip/

Yeah, now that EAC has THIS built in, I can see how any drive would work as long as the errors are accounted for.  And you run it in secure mode, without normalization.

Friends don't let friends normalize their EAC rips!