Choosing an SSD

DivineGamer

I have an HP Pavilion Gaming 15-dk0050TX

I recently updated it to 16 GB ram from 8 GB 
it has i7 9750H and a GTX 1650

but it only has a 256GB SSD that came with the laptop and a 1TB HDD that is pretty much useless 
The SSD is giving speeds of around 1500mb/s but i wanted to upgraded it to a NVME but the confusion is gen 3 or gen 4 in my region they are selling for a very close margin but i read in places that gen 4 heats up a lot so if anyone can give any suggestions please.

19 minutes ago, DivineGamer said:

The SSD is giving speeds of around 1500mb/s but i wanted to upgraded it to a NVME but the confusion is gen 3 or gen 4 in my region they are selling for a very close margin but i read in places that gen 4 heats up a lot so if anyone can give any suggestions please.

It's not that "gen 4 heats up a lot", it's more so "When you use a high performance drive and the rest of the system isn't limiting it, it can draw quite a bit of power, which turns into excessive heat if not sufficiently cooled; but fear not, for if it gets to that point, the drive just throttles".

In other words, if the price is about the same, might as well get the better drive.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

6 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

It's not that "gen 4 heats up a lot", it's more so "When you use a high performance drive and the rest of the system isn't limiting it, it can draw quite a bit of power, which turns into excessive heat if not sufficiently cooled; but fear not, for if it gets to that point, the drive just throttles".

In other words, if the price is about the same, might as well get the better drive.

yeah but the confusion is my laptop only supports PCIe gen 3 so even i get a gen 4 drive it will only run at gen 3 speeds

4 minutes ago, DivineGamer said:

yeah but the confusion is my laptop only supports PCIe gen 3 so even i get a gen 4 drive it will only run at gen 3 speeds

Right, so if it's significantly cheaper, get a 3.0 drive...

..but if it's about the same, get the 4.0 and have a better drive you can take advantage of in the future (say, you upgrade 5y from now your machine and the new one supports 4.0).

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 hour ago, Imakuni said:

Right, so if it's significantly cheaper, get a 3.0 drive...

..but if it's about the same, get the 4.0 and have a better drive you can take advantage of in the future (say, you upgrade 5y from now your machine and the new one supports 4.0).

Understood, thanks for the help