"connected but no Internet" in Windows, but work with USB-Tethering

Go to solution Solved by JantzenPr,

Okayyy, the Internet cable was in a completely wrong port in the router! It works now! I can't belive i'm so stupid!馃槅聽Sorry for bothering you! And thanks for making that Forum a better place!

Have a nice day/night, danke!

Hey guys,

For the past 2 months, I haven't had Ethernet connectivity on my PC using a cable. It just randomly happened, and I have no idea why.

In the Windows 11 settings, it shows as "connected but no Internet." However, when I connect my phone using USB tethering, I do have internet access.

I have internet on any other device, so it seems to be specific to my PC.

When I go to Settings > System > Troubleshooting > Internet and Network, it shows an error message related to the DHCP server not being found.

Edit: I've did a Network reset.

Is this a Windows error? How can I fix this issue?

Which other information do you need? Thanks for your help!

Specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100 CPU

RAM: 16 GB

Windows:聽Windows 11 Pro聽22H2聽x64

Have you tried a network reset yet? If not, simply search for "Network Reset" within Windows search and launch it.
This should fix it in case any network setting might be wrong.

image.png.1db3785c5d86816576d4d5c4d84dc7e7.png

image.png.98b4c5edabbed16cafe573da5006af6f.png

I've already tried that. I forgot to write that, sorry. Didn't help, but聽thank's...

14 minutes ago, JantzenPr said:

I've already tried that. I forgot to write that, sorry. Didn't help, but聽thank's...

No worries.

Does your PC receive an IP address when connected to an ethernet cable? You can check this by typing "ipconfig" into CMD.

image.png.3759eeb75ee7d182b7e5a17e940c1b80.png

So it does but the ip config returns only a few lines...musn't that be more?

image.png.ca04fcac564352981bb8ac946881006f.png

My windows is on German I can swich to English if that helps...聽聽

19 minutes ago, JantzenPr said:

So it does but the ip config returns only a few lines...musn't that be more?

image.png.ca04fcac564352981bb8ac946881006f.png

My windows is on German I can swich to English if that helps...聽聽

No need, luckily I'm German too 馃槢

There are two things that look weird to me:

1. One of your ethernet adapters seems to be active, but not receiving an IP address. It shows a 169.254.112.27 address, which is a local IP from Windows and not a private IP through which you can reach the internet. It might be that for some reason Windows is trying to route the traffic through that adapter.
  2. The gateway address of your 2nd adapter is 192.168.11.3. Usually, the gateway always ends in xxx.xxx.xxx.1.

I suggest disabling the first ethernet adapter within your Windows settings and comparing the data of your second adapter to the ones of another device, to see if they show the same gateway address and subnetmask. Doesn't need to be a Windows device and can also be a phone for example.

Awsome!

Jap, it's my Phone, obviously, thats the only way i get Internet here... I'm going to pull it out and make a screenshot of cmd!

5 minutes ago, JantzenPr said:

Awsome!

Jap, it's my Phone, obviously, thats the only way i get Internet here... I'm going to pull it out and make a screenshot of cmd!

Ah, I see. So the first adapter would be the ethernet adapter that should be directly connected to your router.

Is the cable properly plugged in? Are the orange/green lights on the ethernet connector flashing? And if so, where is the cable going, and to what exactly is it connected?

Here the new cmd output:

image.png.ee119577fad1baf68c62b69b0f0b8b69.png

And an other wierd thing I've discoverd, it say not identified network:

image.png.e0e52686b687fb9fcf04b4d959af7398.png

8 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Ah, I see. So the first adapter would be the ethernet adapter that should be directly connected to your router.

Is the cable properly plugged in? Are the orange/green lights on the ethernet connector flashing? And if so, where is the cable going, and to what exactly is it connected?

Yes the lights (only the green is shineing) are flashing, well it's connected to the back of my PC, the cable is going downstairs in the router?

5 minutes ago, JantzenPr said:

Yes the lights (only the green is shineing) are flashing, well it's connected to the back of my PC, the cable is going downstairs in the router?

One thing is clear, your PC can't reach your DHCP server, which is usually part of your router.

As the lights are flashing it can not be a physical issue with the cable.聽

I suggest you try restarting your router (simply unplug your router from the wall, plug it back in and wait 5-10 minutes) and/or plug the ethernet cable into a different ethernet port on your router. You should usually have more than 1 that is labeled "LAN".

You could also check the configuration on your router and see what could be causing the issue, but that's also quite advanced. It would take time to explain to you what to look for and without knowing the router and with no way to reliably connect to it this is near impossible.

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

I suggest you try restarting your router (simply unplug your router from the wall, plug it back in and wait 5-10 minutes) and/or plug the ethernet cable into a different ethernet port on your router. You should usually have more than 1 that is labeled "LAN".

Okay, im going to restart the聽router and change the port.

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

You could also check the configuration on your router and see what could be causing the issue, but that's also quite advanced. It would take time to explain to you what to look for and without knowing the router and with no way to reliably connect to it this is near impossible.

I have a FritzBox 7590 AX and I can enter the configuration-thing on an other device....

Okayyy, the Internet cable was in a completely wrong port in the router! It works now! I can't belive i'm so stupid!馃槅聽Sorry for bothering you! And thanks for making that Forum a better place!

Have a nice day/night, danke!